1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Oregon Coast Ride - June 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by pdog109e, Apr 4, 2020.

1. pdog109e

pdog109e n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been a long time lurker here, this is my first ride report/first post.
    Even though I took this ride a year ago it was my first multi-day road trip and being locked away has me looking back at my fun memories. I posted this on imgur but thought I should maybe finally share here! I had a great time on this ride for sure, I've been planning more summer rides for this year but the corona crazyness has put a hold on that for now.

Since I like bird photography as well I've included bird pics that I took on the trip I hope that's ok. Anyway here goes.

Day 1 route. 6-26-19 - Tacoma WA to Astoria OR
    [​IMG]

Day 1 pics

Raymond, WA, my first stop to get gas.
    [​IMG]

Astoria bridge
    [​IMG]

Fish and chip spot
    [​IMG]

Columbia river, looking east on the Astoria river walk
    [​IMG]

Double-crested Cormorant
    [​IMG]

Day 1 video

Day 2 route. 6-27-19 - Left Astoria and headed to Fort Stevens State Park. Saw some whales and pelicans there. Stopped at Manzanita for lunch at Manzanita Mudd Dogs, pricey for a chili dog but good. Wanted to take the scenic route to Cape Meares but the road was closed. After stopping there headed down to Pacific City. Finally made it to Pelican Brewing, a spot I've wanted to visit since first trying a Pelican beer. It's great beer because it has a bird on it. Also tastes great.
    [​IMG]

South Jetty at Fort Stevens. The following series of pics were taken from that platform.
    [​IMG]

Baby whale jay!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pelican dive
    [​IMG]

Splash down
    [​IMG]

Pelican flying come on pelican!
    [​IMG]

Fort Stevens
    [​IMG]

Cape Disappointment in the middle background, as seen from Fort Stevens
    [​IMG]

Manzanita beach
    [​IMG]

Oceanside
    [​IMG]

View from Cape Meares, looking south
    [​IMG]

Cape Meares, looking north
    [​IMG]

Day 2 video

Day 3 route. 6-28-19 - Pacific City to Sutton Campground. Read about how Yaquina Head is a great spot for birds so had to check it out. It lived up to the hype definitely need to go back with my 500mm lens and spend more time. The Common Murre colony here is massive! Other birds there included Brandt's Cormorant, Pelagic Cormorant, and Pigeon Guillemots. After I went down to Heceta Head which was a bust bird wise and it was packed with tourist goobers so I just spent five minutes in the parking lot and then jetted down to road to the Sea Lion Caves. That place is pretty awesome, there's an elevator that takes you from the top of the cliff down to the bottom where you can watch sea lions lounging on the rocks in the sheltered cave. There's also a cutout that gives you a close up view of nesting seabirds. From this spot I saw the same birds that are at Yaquina but much closer.
    [​IMG]

Before leaving Pacific City in the morning I had to get this shot.
    [​IMG]

Yaquina Head
    [​IMG]

Common Murre colony
    [​IMG]

Murre's in flight, they are quick!
    [​IMG]

Seals
    [​IMG]

Pelagic Cormorant on a nest maintenance flight
    [​IMG]

Another one doing the same
    [​IMG]

Brandt's Cormorant
    [​IMG]

Same bird. The more i shot the better my BIF shots(bird in flight) got. I was a bit rusty at the start of the day for sure
    [​IMG]

Pigeon Guillemot (top bird with orange feet) with two Murres
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turkey Vulture's were also hanging out at the colony
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heceta Head
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the sea lion caves right down the road from Heceta Head
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pigeon Guillemot - really guys you couldn't find a cave or anything. The female looks like she is saying "dude are you done already come on I got stuff to do"
    [​IMG]

Pelagic Cormorant
    [​IMG]

Brandt's Cormorant
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heceta Head as seen from the sea lion caves
    [​IMG]

Oh hi, I heard some scrub was out here taking pics of birds, whats up?
    [​IMG]

The part the sea lion caves where the sea lions are lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess it was fitting I would see a beaver in the beaver state, this is at Sutton Creek
    [​IMG]

Sutton creek trail
    [​IMG]

Campsite set up
    [​IMG]

its a tarp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooking my dogs
    [​IMG]

Day 3 video

Day 4 route. 6-28-19 - Sutton Campground to Tacoma. Spent a cold night sleeping outside with no tent and no sleeping bag. My tarp kept me dry at least as it was misting all night long. Almost right away after heading out I ran into a fog blanket that rolled in on the coast. Couldn't ride with the visor down as it was completely misted over. I slowed down but was paranoid about cars coming up fast behind me which of course they did. I pulled over at the closest sunny spot to dry off the visor and I met a woman who was collecting agate minerals and she gave me one and we talked for a few minutes. Yes I talked to a woman, shocking I know. After that the weather cleared up and it was a long haul back. 327 miles ridden on the day. Broke my previous one day record of 252 miles. 754 total miles on the four day trip.
    [​IMG]

Day 4 video
  2. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good ride report, great photos and video! Thanks for posting pdog. I like the minimalist gear and clear focus of the ride and the photos. We native nor'westerners forget how unique the scenery and wildlife are that surround us. The city boy goes to the country plays well too. Wait till you have a herd of elk walk into the highway in front of you, or a giant moose drops off the high side of the road a bike length away or antelope issue their territorial statement by racing ahead of you and cutting across your path....at 50mph! Keep exploring and posting those bird photos, you've raise the bar for a first time ride report pretty darn high. We'll be watching for your next report, DD
    pdog109e likes this.
  3. pdog109e

pdog109e n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks dave, sorry I'm not a native NWer though! I'm originally from NYC but left a decade ago or so. I moved to the PNW two years ago though and I really love it, it's awesome out here!
    dammitdave likes this.
  4. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is aride I have al;ways wanted to do. And on a Ducati Scrambler, no less! Thank you for posting. My wife and I are envying you! :clap
    pdog109e likes this.
  5. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that an Army TA50 sleeping pad?
    pdog109e likes this.
  6. pdog109e

pdog109e n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I planned it a bit last year and just went out and did it. The Scrambler is a great bike i love it. My first bike was a 2004 Monster 620 but i sold it to get the Scambler. Regret it since I really loved the Monster but i love the Scrambler's versatility more. For my next road trip I want to incorporate some off-roading, I do take my scrambler off road from time to time but only really around local trails. There's lots of great off roading in the PNW even though the Scrambler is not a good off road bike if i take it easy and don't get too ambitious it can go most places.

lol yea, need to bring a sleeping bag next time i decide to moto camp though. Or buy a tent but really like packing as little as possible and feel a tarp over the bike/myself is shelter enough.
    DesertPilot likes this.
  7. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report, the wildlife photos are beautiful. The Oregon coast is always calling my name, the farthest I have been on a bike is Brandan?? but I want to finish exploring the entire Oregon coast.
  8. wobbly one

wobbly one Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey well done pdog. Great photos.
  9. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your pics and storytelling :thumb
  10. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow some fantastic pictures dude! Great post ! Thanks.