Oregon ohv trails

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Conlew01, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Conlew01

Conlew01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have access to gpx files of oregon ohv trails? I cant find them anywhere, just printable pdf maps.
  2. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe try the cohvops (sp?) site? I have seen them somewhere.
  3. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you literally want "trails"; and not just dirt roads, (and you're using a Garmin product that can load GPX files) then the product you NEED is called Northwest Trails.. or even better, Northwest Topos, which has the vast majority of authorized trails (not just OHV, but hiking, horseback etc.) in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Alaska.

the problem is the maps/trails were last updated in 2014, so probably not 100% reliable, but hey, it's totally free.. and maybe if enough people started using it again, and dropped a donation to them, they might start updating them again..

http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtopos/
  4. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, Avenza maps is another option if you’re using a smartphone.. there are a number of free Geo tagged pdf maps of Eastern Oregon OHV areas that will load in to Avenza
  5. fivemacs

fivemacs Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. travisn000

travisn000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    robdogg likes this.
  7. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need the motor vehicle use maps mvums from the forest districts that you want to travel through
  8. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Maplets for any and all OHV areas. Avenza maps? No, save your money.
  9. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been converting the geo referenced or manually referencing maps for the custom map overlay format on garmin devices KMZ. I find these much more useful and easier to use for OHV areas than tracks. Some OHV areas have too many trails to all have GPX tracks loaded at one time anyway. These files are not allowed to be uploaded though. I started a thread to ask for them to be allowed https://advrider.com/f/threads/please-allow-kmz-files.1475985/

They are really easy to load on to garmin GPS like the montana.
  10. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can load these in to the custom maps folder on your GPS or GPS SD card or import them in basecamp for garmins. They are geo referenced images of the paper maps you get at the ohv area. I find them easier to use than loading a bunch of tracks. Also places like TSF are so huge many GPS can not load all the tracks at once. TSF includes browns camp, diamond mill and the surrounding area all on one huge map.

Attached Files:

a_ron, wbbnm and LouGubrius like this.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    First I am pretty astounded that you were able to load kmz files here. I thought they just allowed jpg and gpx.

Second I second the usefulness of readily available converted pdf files as map overlays on Garmin gps units and in Garmin Mapsource.

There is a program available for download called MapPC2MapPC. It will let you convert any pdf file with geospatial lat/long info into an kmz file. It is not obvious how to use it, but the web site has a good tutorial.
    It costs ~$15 to get the really useful version. But it is well worth it.
  12. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They didn't used to allow kmz. I asked them to allow the files so I could upload these.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/please-allow-kmz-files.1476386/
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/please-allow-kmz-files.1475985/
    It would be nice to exchange kml on here too as those can be little more comprehensive than just gpx tracks, but I didn't want to ask them for more stuff right after asking for KMZ.

I own and use MaPC2MaPC, and its helpful for more then just PDFs some times but it really shines for geotagged PDF files. You can add your own location not non geo tagged PDFs though as well for places than just use PDF for a graphic map. If can convert pretty much any common image file to add the geo referencing and make it in to a file a garmin can read. Im sure it is helpful for other GPS too but I have garmin so I use garmin format and don't know the others as well.
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently discovered another online app called map_warper. It lets you georeference things like map photograph files that do not have lat/long info embedded in them.
    It works by displaying your photo and a map side by side and then letting you pick a number of registration Control points on each one. I have only tried one. It worked but it is going to take some practice to get the mechanics down. They provide a variety of outputs.
    spova likes this.
  14. LApilot

LApilot Nomad of the western states

Oddometer:
    Bill, If anyone can find a way to keep their tracks in order, it is you.

I am going to be spending some time is Washington this summer and went to your site to find some tracks. Site would not load for me. I am good for South Dakota, Idaho, and Montana but I can't seem to find anything for my week stays at Cle Elum WA and Mount Vernon WA. I may have to just wait till I get there and ask the locals.
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    What site of mine are you talking about? I can't think of any. Both dualsportmaps.com and GPSXchange.com are down and have been for a long time.

I have never ridden in Washington. I know there is a Washington BDR. You might try searching for that, maybe as WABDR.

When I am looking for good riding in a new area I search for "state" ATV trails or Jeep trails. Those guys seem to have a lot more tracks published than motorcycles.
  16. LApilot

LApilot Nomad of the western states

Oddometer:
    Yeah I thought that GPX exchange was your site. I have found a few Avenza maps that will guide me. Just looking for tracks to keep me busy.