Oregon: Shirk Ranch to Frenchglen off road?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by timlaw, Jan 3, 2018.

1. timlaw

timlaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at routes on google and was curious if anyone has done the Shirk Ranch to Frenchglen off road by going north of the ranch and cutting over to the west. I know the roads are there, just not sure if it's private property or not. Thanks!
  2. timlaw

timlaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bumpage
  3. BackCountryCruizer

BackCountryCruizer Gnarled Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you still looking for this route? I have a track that we took a couple years ago from near French Glen to Paisley.
  4. timlaw

timlaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes please. Thank you.
  5. BackCountryCruizer

Oddometer:
    I'm helping the kids get moved to their new house again tonight but I'll get something together over the weekend for you.
  6. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    long wAIT...
  7. BackCountryCruizer

Oddometer:
    Oops! I kinda forgot about this.
  8. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    i'm goin from near Burns down to the Alvord playa and the Steens mts, got anything I may want? thanks. (big bike)
  9. BackCountryCruizer

Oddometer:
    I have the tracks at home. I'll try to post up this evening.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  10. BackCountryCruizer

Oddometer:
    All of my older tracks for SE Oregon were on an old laptop (it's been at least 5 years since riding there). Unfortunately, I couldn't get any of my tracks (or photos, etc.) off it. I guess I'll have to go ride the area again to get the tracks. Sorry!!
    Rips Millar likes this.
  11. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the countdown library on gpsxchange
    Jerry has a ca nv or corner file with all the routes in that area
    Rips Millar likes this.
  12. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    Jerry's tracks worry me a bit, he never rode a big bike, always a small, I know he has color codes if you can remember light majenta from dark umber....
  13. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jerry's tracks worry me a bit, he never rode a big bike, always a small, I know he has color codes if you can remember light majenta from dark umber....

I am not sure if Mr. Miller’s comment is totally accurate and sounds a bit derogatory about someone just trying to provide free information for consideration. Jerry is 75 years old and has quite a few miles on all kinds of motorcycles. He started riding on a 650 Triumph desert sled, started racing Enduros on a “light weight” Triumph 500 twin. He finally ended his 15 year racing career as a Regional Enduro Champion on a 125. He worked for Honda of Japan in the 80’s designing the XR line with Al Baker. He put on his first Roll Chart Dual Sport ride in 1984 and his friend Malcolm Smith rode his second ride that year. Starting in 2007 he put on over 30,000 miles riding a TE610 recording many of the GPS tracks he has posted.

Jerry posts four types of GPS files:

First, he has a few “rides”, the CDR, GWT, PCQ, & OST which are meant to be followed as is. He has ridden much of them himself but not all.

Second, he posts a section with Invitational “rides” he has ridden with his friends (me) and also a section with many multi-day “rides” that inmate wbbnm has done.

Third, for several western states he has a file of his “Statewide Motorized Trail System” with a track (tracks) between each two adjacent gas stations or towns (100 mi or so) also intended to be ridden as is combining as many as you wish to make a loop.

Fourth, and the bulk of his posts are files that consist of GPS tracks for specified areas. For these, he has mostly collected tracks from other riders and integrated them into an inventory of each given area. They are not “rides” they are just inventories of ridden segments (numbered roads & trails or just intersection to intersection). They are just intended to show what is open and legal and the user must use this data to compose his own route or loop. In fact much of his Colorado dirt roads and trails files are actually my GPS active logs.

On “Ride” files, Jerry does use a color code. His main route is always Dual Sport fun and friendly and is Dark Green. If he knows a section is not big bike friendly, he has an “Adv” or “GS” easy way option in Dark Magenta.

However in “Area” files there is very little if any grading or difficultly designation, that is up to the user. For files of a USFS MVUM, he does show Single Track in Red. Jerry attempts to only post GPS tracks that have “time tags” proving they were actually ridden. It is very easy for the user to Open the track and see how fast the recorder was riding for every track point along the track. Other than sand, this is an excellent way of knowing just how difficult each section is.

In this case, the OP was asking if roads he sees on some map are really open? He can at least look at Jerry’s file and if there is a track on the road in question, he knows someone went thru and how fast he was riding. He may also see some alternatives he was not aware of and may want to evaluate them further.

Mr. Miller’s “worry” is probably overstated but Jerry is an Expert Enduro racer recording his tracks on an Enduro bike or at least very light Adv bike so users of his tracks on a big Adv bikes should take that difference into consideration.
  14. Rips Millar

Oddometer:

don't you think that may have been EXACTLY what I meant? Calm down.

and it's MILLAR
    bmgyver likes this.