Oregon to Colorado in March

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BlueFizzy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. BlueFizzy

BlueFizzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may be crazy, but I have to be in Denver March 17th through the 20th and am considering riding from Southern Oregon through Reno, Salt Lake City and into Denver. Just wondering if anyone who lives in those areas can let me know what an average temp and conditions are like. I will be on a 2004 Yamaha FZ1.
  2. BrookTrout

BrookTrout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can see the average temps for the different cities at weather.com. It's not possible to ride from Salt Lake to Denver in March without a chance of snow. It's entirely possible that you'll have blue skies and dry roads the entire way, but it's also entirely possible that it'll be snowing hard over Soldier Summit. Either way, the morning temps in the high country will be very nippy.
  3. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just keep in mind that March is Colorado's snowiest month. Like BrookTrout said, though, it may be sunny and dry when you come out. If you plan on riding, you just better be flexible because you could get stopped in SLC or Grand Junction.
  4. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The average temps for Colorado mountain cities in march don't tell you much. I was just at Copper Mountain along I-70 and there was a day where the temperature dropped at least 20 degrees in a little over two hours. It went from the low 40s and sunny to under 20 and snowing in that time. No matter which way you go you'll be doing multiple passes and spending a significant amount of time at high elevations. It's doable but you have a really good chance of hitting some really nasty weather.
  5. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'd rate you as crazy. I live in the central mountains of Colorado and you can pick a much better time to ride your bike here and have fun. You may encounter survival riding in March
  6. BlueFizzy

BlueFizzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, You have all convinced me. I will plan the ride for another time. I may decide to drive as I have never been in that part of the country. Any can't miss roads or sights?
  7. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ummm, all of them??
  8. anomad

anomad not in storage

Oddometer:
    I drove from here in New Mexico to Oregon last May (two months, ahem, after March). There was snow on Soldiers Summit, horrible rain in SLC, and more snow on the summits in Eastern Nevada. Then heavy snow between Winnemucca , NV and Klamath Falls, OR.

Made the same trip in October and it was simply beautiful, but I woudn't have been one bit suprised to see snow again.

Minivan is my snow weapon....
  9. Hooliganrick

Hooliganrick Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    Rode from San Diego to Denver in April. Missed the snow fall from the week before. Was chilly, but great ride. Just be flexible.