Oregon to Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MotoWithMike, Jan 20, 2020.

1. MotoWithMike

MotoWithMike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! Been planning on doing a trip from Southern Oregon to the Grand Canyon this spring (late March) before my friend has to return to Austria, there are five of us going on the trip and so far the bikes consist of a: DRZ 400e, a 2007 KLR650 (mine), a 1997 Ninja 500, a 2003 Vulcan 500, and whatever bike we can find to rent (if you have one let me know.) the trip is going to be approximately 1800-2500 miles round trip. We are wondering if anyone has any advice on some backroads to take, the best spots to camp, etc. We are trying to make a pretty good time on this trip but also have a little fun. Cost is a big factor as we're all broke college kids. I appreciate the help. This is what we have so far, but i would appreciate some specific route numbers to take and such.

3/22 Leaves Corvallis to John Day 450 Miles Campsite

3/23 John Day to Salt Lake 525 Miles

3/24 Salt Lake to Grand Canyon 512 Miles Campsite

3/25 Mad chillin at the Grand Canyon null Campsite

3/26 Grand Canyon to Reno 700 Miles

On a side note, We are also currently looking for Com devices. Specifically looking at the Cardo PackTalk BOLD because of its battery life, its ability to connect more than 4 riders, and the water-resistance because it's probably going to rain lol. If you have one that you want to sell let me know!

Also looking for a good app for the Nav and GPS
  2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're planning on interstate highways almost the entire distance. On a motorcycle, I've found that's usually the least "fun" way to travel. You could take some secondary (but good) highways and cut a couple hundred miles off your trip. From Corvallis to Burns, then south to Winnemucca, east on I-80 then south again on 278 to US50, down 93 through Pioche, east again 319 &56 to I-15 south of Cedar City, then east again across northern Arizona to cross the Colorado River at Marble Canyon, then south until you get to the park entrance.

Never mind all the electronic gadgets that can get you lost as often as helping you find your route. Find some paper maps and look at all the good highways that will take you to your destination just fine. In that part of the country, most all highways are going to be fine for motorcycles, and will give you a more interesting trip - which helps to keep you alert and alive.
    MotoWithMike likes this.
  3. MotoWithMike

MotoWithMike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The reason I would be going to John Day and then to Salt Lake is that I work in John Day during the summers and I know the area pretty well and because Salt Lake has lodging for us and family. other than that I am going to see if i can include some of those routes. Thank you for the ideas.
  4. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    How did you come up with 450 miles from Corvallis to John Day?

You mentioned cost is a factor. Made me think, are the bikes all ready for the trip?
    MotoWithMike likes this.
  5. MotoWithMike

MotoWithMike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bikes will be ready for the trip. Ninja needs a new clutch, my bike is getting suspension swap, DRZ needs valve clearance checked, etc. I’m not concerned with the bikes. That distance is a little “off” because of a detour we have to make to get one of the guys.
    Motomantra likes this.
  6. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    Is the lodging in SLC worth the detour? You could go south through Burns towards Fields and then through central NV towards either St George (N Rim) or Vegas (S Rim). Tons of off-road options as well.
    MotoWithMike likes this.
  7. MotoWithMike

MotoWithMike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would say it is. One of our buddies is going to be seeing his grandfather, who is on hospice care. Otherwise, I would agree with an alternate route.
    bigdog99 likes this.