1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Organizing fasteners when working on bike

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by triman11427, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:58 PM.

1. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    How do you keep track of all the different length screws and fasteners when working on your bike? There are several different shaft lengths which are used for the fairings and tank and I'm looking for a system that keeps track of which screw or bolt goes where.
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    punch holes in cardboard that gen. approx. the line of fasteners you're working on. write notes on the paper, if helpful.

reviewing fiche online to fix these mix-ups after the fact is a major pita! DAMHIK
    local1, stumped, ultane and 4 others like this.
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Mark egg cartons with a black marker.
    Deano747 and triman11427 like this.
  4. MiddleAgeWarrior

MiddleAgeWarrior Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can also place them over the bench or floor in the same order you take them out grab your phone open a new folder named as the project you are working on and took all the pics you can (pics will help with any doubt)
  5. KDXRC51

KDXRC51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ziplock bag and label with permanent marker
    local1, 9Realms and NewYorkLuke like this.
  6. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a piece of cardboard. Before I pull a panel I write out what part it is, then I make dots on the cardboard that is roughly where the screw lives that I'm removing. Makes it super easy to not screw up what goes where. Honestly doesn't take any time. I just punch out the dots with a screw driver as I remove things. If you just perf the cardboard it'll hold everything tight.
    lnewqban, local1, stumped and 3 others like this.
  7. The Fabricator

The Fabricator I didn't know it wasn't possible so I did it.

Oddometer:
    I mark unique screws with White Out corresponding to the location where removed. That means a mark on the screw and one of the location. White Out scrapes off with a finger nail. Usually only a few screws are different length. If several are special, then 1 dot for the first, 2 dots for the second, etc. I also mark hoses, cables, etc. the same way to return them to the proper routing or location. White Out is for correcting mistakes while typing [on white paper], available at office supply stores.
    local1 likes this.
  8. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Throw them all in a box. Then when its time to put it back together waste a few extra hours trying to solve the puzzle. It keeps your brain sharp. :lol3
  9. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    That's what I've been doing up until now. It's starting to get a bit tiresome.
    local1 likes this.
  10. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I drop mine on the floor as I remove them, they bounce all over and when ready for re-assembly, I put back what ever I can find.
    BtoV, 413Sean, triman11427 and 4 others like this.
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Take forensic-like pics while holding up a small ruler next to the confusing fasteners, bag and tag em.
    Also helps with some stuff to take a pic of the item and or fastener so there is some CLUE as to where it came from after the fact in an image, and not just a tag on a baggie.

fasten.jpg

In the end, you may still have to call upon other riders with the same bike to ask...
    "where does this go" :dunno

I been there, had bike apart for 9 months and enjoyed it. But when it's done, you will know your bike very, very well going forward, an appreciation you will not soon forget.

beastie-v.jpg

Chuck-up a wire wheel on a spindle in a cordless drill or your drill press. Detail nuts and bolts as you take them off.
    Fasteners that have a roundy-ass nasty head on it, order NEW while you still recall where it came from.
  12. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    I still have an extra fairing fastener from the last time I removed them... When I finished and realized it, I took the fairings off and put them back on a second time and still can't figure out which one I'm missing :lol3

Its on the shelf and the next time I need to get in there I'll see if I can place it.
  13. Gemel

Gemel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A neigbour of mine, printed out an exploded view of the bike and various specific areas, then attached those to foam board, with holes punched into it matching the location.
    So in effect he complied a book of sorts which hold the relevant fasteners in location.
    I'll see if I can drag him out of the wood work to post some pics
    local1 likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    It isn't rocket science. To make it easier, keep each side's screws separate. Other than that, the depth of the plastic determines where they go. On thin layer with a round hole, no shoulder. One thin layer with an oval hole, shallow shank. Two layers, or a thick layer with an oval hole, medium shank. Three layers, or two thick layers, with an oval hole, long shank.
    Richy likes this.
  15. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Go buy one of those plastic cheap
    fastener organizer for about $10, then use a water based marker for making notes..

Number the bottom of each bin and top of the lid covering that bin.

As you dissemble, organize screws to each bin based on areas of bike or serially in order and make note on lid for that bin where screws came from

This better than the cardboard method cause one bad move and you can knock the stuff off cardboard ..

Plus you can secure/ close lid for safe keeping if you dont finish in one session.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    local1 likes this.
  16. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use two methods.
    1. Take photos of the items before you remove them, so you know which way everything goes when you put it back e.g. which side the washer goes.
    2. A cheap tool organiser with a load of dividers in them. Put the offending articles in the space and then write on a bit of paper what it is.

Example
    When removing the crash bars, cylinder guards, passenger footpegs, exhaust muffler, skid plate for powdercoating and spray painting, I put into a single section the nuts/ bolts/ washers/ connectors from each specific part and wrote on a piece of paper where they came from, such as 'R Crash Upper', 'R Crash Lower Fore' , 'R Crash Lower Aft' and so on. The more descriptive the better.

Caveat: I'm a little bit clumsy and I lose concentration quickly thanks to a short span of attention so even doing it this way when I rebuilt my Postie Bike I still ended up with a 'spare' bolt and have no idea where it goes.

These boxes are cheap so just get a couple and keep them handy. For larger parts, just keep them all in an old beer carton and wrap some masking tape around each piece and label it.

Tool organiser.jpg

EDIT: I just saw @ExodusRider does the same thing and beat me to it.
    ExodusRider likes this.
  17. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive used some combo of many of the suggestions given...IMO which one I use depends on how far I’m tearing my bike down. For fairings, I find the easiest thing for me is to replace the fasteners in the holes after removing the plastic pieces. Replace the fasteners either to the bike or panel depending on what’s easier for you. Painters tape keeps them from falling out if you put them on your panel.
    lnewqban and triman11427 like this.
  18. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Picture is a thousand words, right on brother!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    The Cone of Silence likes this.
  19. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur

Oddometer:
    I started out using empty egg cartons, but in the last decade graduated to compartmented, plastic organizers. For disassembling small items, like carburetors, fishing lure boxes are great.
    With a Sharpie, I draw a line down the middle of the box: LEFT, RIGHT. As I dissemble, I drop fasteners from the first bit I take off in the first compartment, second set in the second compartment... Left and right sides separate. When I re-assemble, I start with the last compartment and work my way up.

NOTE: I'm an old airhead guy. It is necessary to separate right from left on those bikes because nothing is symmetric.
  20. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you end up questioning what goes where (even though it's the tenth time you've torn it down and put it back together), the BMW Parts Microfiche does a good job of describing and depicting the various fasteners. Otherwise JVB's general description to purpose is a great rule of thumb. And @rtrider - the buddy who paid you a visit during that last repair - dropped the extra screw on the ground, just to keep you on your toes.
    JimVonBaden likes this.