OSMand Online Tracking

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by FishDiver, Dec 25, 2017.

1. FishDiver

FishDiver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have abandoned using Osmand for location sharing although I use it exclusively for routing on adventure rides. I am now playing with Google Location sharing. It works well in urban areas when I stop at a retail location, which is a little creepy. I works intermittently when I am moving, and not at all out of cell range. I will continue to experiment, but my current opinion is that it either works too well when I don't need it, and not at all when I do.
    pckopp likes this.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    y'all should check out oruxmaps and locus, they both do it very well, I like oruxmaps the best for sharing in real time, but locus has more options. of course you'll need cellular service for the location sharing to work, so it's only good for about 90% of the country ;-)
  3. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I have a question I hope you OSMand genius' can help me with. I purchased an LG 7" tablet, Model LG-VK410 a number of years ago. I cut the Verizon support last year as I now run a Mac tablet.

Here's the deal; I have been playing with OSMand for some time off and on, even upgraded to + and topos. Everything was running pretty well and I had planned on using it as my primary GPS setup. A couple of nights ago, the operating software was apparently updated. Now every time I try to start up OSMand I get this statement:

Please sign in You must be signed in to the Amazon Appstore to run this app.

What the heck? Why am I suddenly being pushed to Amazon? I hate stuff like this. Am I missing something?

Just to see if Amazon would check for an OSMand+ update for me and that is what all this was about, I tried logging into Amazon (I have an Amazon Prime account), but the computer wouldn't accept my login. Frustrating. What to do?

Dale
  4. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt it is Osmand; more likely a shortcut being invoked or a software glitch that is trying to launch some Amazon app (music, video etc.).
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:
    go to androids app settings and clear all the amazon app data settings, then login to amazon and try again.

or

try this
    http://download.osmand.net/latest-night-build/OsmAnd-nightly.apk
  6. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I cleared all the Amazon app data updates, updated my password via email with Amazon, and now when I try to start up OSMand+ and log in the program initially starts then tells me I am not logged in. Gotta love computers.

After trying restarting the Android a couple of times, attempted starting once more, again same results; attempt log into Amazon and get "NOT LOGGED IN You must be logged in to run this application. With the only option is quitting the app. This is bullsh*t.

Can anyone tell me why I have to be logged into the Amazon appstore to run OSMand+ in the first place? I've never, ever had to do that before now.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

Did you download Osmand from the amazon application store?
  8. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Good question. I think I had it origianlly loaded on another tablet. then downloaded to this one.

BTW, sorry about the profanity earlier. Just hate stumbling around with the minutia instead of spending the time learning the program.
  9. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Well friends, I finally got it. I had to play with my Amazon password two more times. Reset the tablet again. Then start it up, first initiate Amazon app, then start OSMand+. that time it worked. I shut everything down, restarted, and now can run OSMand+ without having to first initiate Amazon app. Crazy eh? I have no idea why this worked.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Dale
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i'm not sure how the amazon application store works, but i've had trouble with it's authentication before. as a result, i don't use the amazon store for apps, as I really don't want that to happen in the middle of nowhere, with no cellular/wifi service to rectify things. glad you got it sorted. :-)