OsmAnd/OsmAnd+

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by EmmEff, Jul 28, 2014.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    I know we are creatures of habit but you guys seriously doing yourselves a disservice by planning routes in Mapsource and Basecamp. Those two pieces of software will always be behind the curve compared to pretty much any other online resource.
    ohgood and CapeMan like this.
  2. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    So what's the best for off road (jeep trail/2 track) route planning ?
  3. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    Currently my favorite is CalTopo. You can toggle between a series of very useful maps that can help you create excellent offroad tracks.

Here's one I've worked on for a local rally:

https://caltopo.com/m/MJ3Q
    2old2Bbold likes this.
  4. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    What's great is that there are now several to choose from that work well, and Garmin no longer has us by the balls.
    CapeMan, cyberdos and Antti like this.
  5. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have recently found a "snap to road" setting in the GPX options but can't figure out how it works and what it does exactly. I was hoping it will calculate a proper route out if a GPX track and will navigate along without announcing every twist as a turn. Has anyone had any luck with it?
  6. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the recommendations guyz
    i think furkot is the way to go for me
    planned a trip for this weekend
    i will report back
  7. crostad

crostad n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

I have been playing with Osmand+ settings for a while, tweaking them to my needs and I am quite happy about the result.
    There is one thing I can't fix and I hope you will help me solve it.

I would like to display the same map style as the one displayed onto the openstreetmap.org website:

osmweb.png

As you can see there are different styles and different colors (grades) for streets, tracks and paths, whereas with the standard map style in Osmand+ there is no difference in color but only in style :

osmand_std.png

Playing with Osmand+ settings I selected the touring style, which is similar to the web version I am trying to get but still different:

osmand_touring.png

Does anyone know how to properly visualise the same map style of the osm website?
    Cheers,
    D.
  8. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    You need to change or create a new xml file that has the instructions in it to "tell" osmand to display this or that
    it's calld render.xml

http://osmand.net/help/docs/Custom_Rendering_How-To.htm

I played around with it a bit but never diged to deep . You might find a file made by someone that has the style you want, then just import it
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    What snap to road does is yank the direction cursor to the nearest road on your route, even when you are a bit off, I find it seriously annoying and never use it because it makes me miss turns.

The announcing thing, is a tough one, its deciding turns by geometry. On Locus the way to beat that is to plot the track in app, vice importing...which is obviously impractical for multi-thousand mile/km routes.....but if you make it in app its near piss perfect on Locus.

I haven't used the planner/plotter in OsmAnd really, I usually just kill the sound if it gets to annoying,
  10. petertakov

Oddometer:
    There are two "snap to road" options - one in navigation settings and one in GPX settings. You are talking about the former but I was asking about the latter.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    @petertakov

After you've done adding points, press 'Options'. There, you can try several convenient features:

• Snap to roadthis function creates a route using all your points. You can set the car, bicycle or pedestrian mode, as usual
    • Save as new GPX track – allows you to save your measurments as a set of points or a line
    • Add to a GPX track – adds the line you've created (in a form of straight segments) to a GPX track of your choice
    • Clear all – removes all the points.
    http://osmand.net/features?id=measure-distance

A setting in then planner/plotter, essentially the difference between plotting a track or a route.
    petertakov likes this.
  12. petertakov

Oddometer:
    @Tripped1

Thank you - that is exactly how I was hoping it will work and avoid voice instructions and screen "on" at every twist of the GPX track I use. Unfortunately it makes absolutely no difference at all.

Basecamp has an option to automatically calculate a route along a GPX track and I was hoping OSMand can do something similar.
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    Locus Pro, its OsmAnd on steroids, and if you plot in app the voice IS at intersections
  14. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Wonder how long it might be before OSMAnd catches Locus?
  15. crostad

crostad n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you webmonstro, I will look at that.
    What I don't get tho is the difference in default styles between the web version and the android app. How do I know which render is used onto the website?
    I'd prefer to avoid to customise or create my own render, I would like to use exactly the osm web one as I am keen to that style after all.

Thanks,
    D.
  16. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Never - they seem to be moving in the opposite direction. OSMand is getting simpler and Locus is apparently getting more options and features.
  17. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Try seachring the forums, the OSMAND development forum has a lot of info, mayby ask there, i've havent messed with it in a few years tbh, but i got some examples and found a lot of info on the google grupe
    try this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/osmand/B15t5obhars
  18. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you mean by catch.

Already OsmAnd has similar modes and profiles, routing options, overlay capability, recording, Osmand has a significantly better mapping engine, and it is significantly easier to learn/use though significantly worse file management and WAY WAY worse battery consumption....are kind of a bumber.....and Locus has the abiity to color code tracks so that you can use them quickly in teh event of reroutes and and road closures

I tend to use OsmAnd when my wife is on the back as it can broadcast on the proper bluetooth channel to cut in over our intercoms
    I use Locus for basically everything else, because its basically a one stop shop, and its much more tweekable.
  19. petertakov

Oddometer:
    OSMand's power drain in navigation mode is dreadful. So muchmso that it drains the battery even with the phone constantly plugged i to a 2.4A charger. Since it doesn't happen with any of the other navigation apps I use, I consider this to be a serious bug in OSMand.
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    Indeed I am having the same issue and its a new thing, I have used OsmAnd nearly exclusively for entire two week trips without that issue.