OsmAnd/OsmAnd+

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by EmmEff, Jul 28, 2014.

1. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or spot on - the changelog is an enigma :-)))
  2. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Routes? It says routes, can Osmand do routes instead of tracks? If I tell it to route me somewhere I assumed it was using a route, not a track, in that case it does follow the map?
  3. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used osmand for routes where I didn't have good service and internationally. Pick a spot and ask for directions and go.

Poster above was right, big difference between a gpx track where you're wanting to follow a line, and just letting the app pick how to get to a hotel in Mexico.
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bumping this one up since I've been experimenting with OsmAnd for the past few weeks. I'll be reading and doing more with it in the future.
  5. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Question: I have three different Android devices with OsmAnd on each.

Has anyone here ever tried downloading map data into one device, and then sharing it with other devices? That is, if I have a slow internet connection--out in the boonies or wherever--I don't want to have to download maps/updates from the cloud three separate times. I'm hoping I can simply download what I want to one device, and then share it locally with my other two devices. Possible?
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember if I have done that or not. I think it worked to just copy over my entire directory over Solid Explorer FTP.
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the directories last night, and though I'd have to sit down and figure out exactly which files to copy, it does seem rather straight-forward. I don't want to break anything, so I thought I'd ask first. I might give it a go this afternoon.

I also looked at the map data for Magic Earth and Sygic. It looks like Magic Earth should be able to share map data, but Sygic looked a little complicated.

If I try it on OsmAnd, I'll report back my results.

Jamie
    DittyBag and flamingm0e like this.
  8. Madmartigan

Madmartigan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have done this.

On Android, the directory for the maps can be found at: Internal Storage/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/files
    Baroquenride, Jamie Z and flamingm0e like this.
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I have maps, elevation, slopes, and Wikipedia files... but it does look like everything is there in the files folder.
  10. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you get the motorcycle profile? I had it at one time, but it's been 6 - 8 months since I used it & now I can't find it. It seems to have reset or something. My screen config is back to standard, etc and the motorcyle profile isn't there anymore.
  11. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm. You're right. It appears to be missing
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Possible yes.

There are a ton of apps like side sync, that allow you to connect two phones by wifi and transfer files between them. There are NFC apps that do similar.

Here is an FTP service app
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/transfer-data-wirelessly-to-your-android-device/

or Bluetooth
    https://www.lifewire.com/bluetooth-file-transfer-4147725

etc. etc.
  13. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You used to have to turn on the development plugin, but since the last versions 3.6/3.7 I think, you configure a new profile based on another base profile, change what you want & save it.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I was messing with my devices last night and found that I still had motorcycle profile on my Ulefone and my tab active 2.
    gavmac likes this.
  15. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, got it set up again. :freaky
    gavmac likes this.
  16. Madmartigan

Madmartigan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On Android, you can add new profiles by accessing the settings under the side menu (3 lines, lower left). Scroll to the bottom and select "New Profile". You have to select "Driving", rename if you wish and select the motorcycle icon.
    Additionally, you can import profiles if you are transferring to a new device under the "New Profile", "Import Profile", "Edit Profile" option.
    dflow, flamingm0e and Suncoaster like this.
  17. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Laconic and Suncoaster like this.
  18. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    Danged if I can figure out how to update. Play Store says it's installed but the version on my phone says 2.9.3

Yes, I'm old.
  19. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgive me if this is teaching you to suck eggs!

When you go into the play store, touch the hamburger icon on the top left next to the search box, a section will slide in, select My app & games, it should then check for available updates.
    OsmAnd or OsmAnd + should then show up as an available update.
  20. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    No offense, I'm a Luddite. For instance, I didn't know the menu button was called a hamburger.

OsmAnd does not show up when I do as you suggest, even though it's fully functional on the phone. It's stored on the SD card and the file name is "net.osmand.plus" and doesn't even show up in my file manager until I search for it.

I wonder if the "net" at the front of the file name is hiding it somehow. And if I rename it, will all be lost...