OsmAnd/OsmAnd+

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by EmmEff, Jul 28, 2014.

1. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uninstall and reinstall.
    Is there a chance that you installed it from someplace other then the play store?
  2. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    That's what I wound up doing. Now that you mention it, I may have gotten it from Amazon the first time.
    gavmac likes this.
  3. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of updates, how is offline map data handled with OSMand? Does it periodically update map data you have downloaded through the program?
  4. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    Manual updates, AFAIK, unless you subscribe to "Live", then you can choose your auto update frequency.
  5. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The maps are generally updated monthly, so by the middle of the month updates are available. Go to Settings-> Download Maps. Then select Updates tab.
  6. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm playing around with Osmond, downloaded some tracks with no problem. But how do you close the tracks once you are done? I have about 5 open and they all kind of link into each other. I looked in dashboard and don't see anything same on the menu.
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me I simply to to 'configure maps', then enable or disable whatever track I want.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I open the Hamburger menu (3 horizontal lines) then select "My Places" then at the top select "tracks". This displays a scrolling list of the visible tracks. It LOOKS like I can turn them off and on from there, but I actually have to select a track to display the summary of that track and de-select the "show on map" slider there. The list of visible tracks also lists file folders that have other tracks that aren't visible.

I just looked at "configure maps" as @worwig suggested. There the tracks are listed under "GPX files". May be fewer taps than my previous method.
  9. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you both work.
  10. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I already know the answer to this... but asking just in case I'm missing something obvious.

Screenshot_20200922-213138.jpg

Any way to color code those icons so I'm not looking at a screen full of useless orange dots?

This is one of those things I don't understand. Who would make all the icons almost identical?
  11. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Another question.

Is there a way I can turn off turn-by-turn navigation, but turn on alerts? When following a track, I don't want the turn-by-turn directions on, as it tells me to turn at every curve in the road. But it seems that if I turn off the voice navigation, it also turns off alerts such as speed limit and railroad tracks, which I find useful.

I don't see a way to leave the alerts on, but turn off the voice navigation.
  12. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    They're not identical. Religious buildings are grey. The campground is blue. The sports stadium (?) is green.

Are those fundamentally different from the orange ones?

I don't know the answer but it give me hope that there's a way.
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Oh... good point!

That screen shot is an extreme example. Most of the time my map doesn't look like that, but too often I get icons on my screen for which I have no idea what they are, and I was hoping there was some way to customize those.

You can customize *your own* POIs, but I don't see a way to select colors/icons for POIs within the mapset.
  14. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    "Touring" seems to have POIs in more colors than some of the other map styles. Makes me think that researching how to build or modify a map style is key.
  15. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Touring map is the only map I use
    I just think it has the most detail and it also makes the track lines thicker and clearer
  16. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Its been a while since I've been in OsmAnd, use GURU mostly, but I think you can pick which POIs show up on the map.
  17. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to integrate a cast-off Android phone into an offline nav device for bike trips.

I have tried Kurviger Pro, Google Map, Magic Earth, and OSMand. So far OSMand looks the most promising. One huge shortcoming seems to be when I search for a POI such as restaurant or a campground, it's fairly stupid. One example from yesterday... I searched for "Oscar's Cafe, Eureka Springs Arkansas." I was at home so I was using my home wi-fi for internet connection. I was getting search returns of "Oscar's" this and that from 500-1000 miles away. That doesn't seem to be very useful. Shouldn't these devices default to the nearest appropriate search returns?

Granted I am not very experienced with these, but what am I missing? Do I need to download a POI database or something? How do you search when you're offline?

Puzzled.
  18. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Can you go to the Open Street Map site to see how it's listed on the map?
  19. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    There is nothing at the site of the restaurant. Not even an icon of a building. It says Nominatim is the search engine. Are there better search engines for OSMand?
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there's nothing on the open street map website then there's no information about the business.

You're looking at the open street map website, right?
    EmmEff likes this.