OsmAnd/OsmAnd+

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by EmmEff, Jul 28, 2014.

1. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    yes.
  2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    POI information is crowd sourced. If nobody submitted this POI, then it won't appear on the map, and therefore, not in search results. If you have a data connection, use Google Maps.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  3. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grinnin and EmmEff like this.
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add it to OSM, so the rest of us know where it is.
    mslim likes this.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know OsmAnd has an extension that allows users to submit changes from their phone.

I still prefer to just go to http://www.openstreetmap.org/ and submit changes there.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  6. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had similar problems doing address searches. The engine will return a street that reflects one word in my search, but otherwise has no association with what I typed or the location of my display and/or physical phone. Even when I type in a city with the address, it pulls up random results nowhere near it. I usually have to search on Google, then go back and zoom in manually on OSMAnd, verifying that the street is there and named in OSM. I don't think I have had this the last few trips, so maybe the engine was fixed in a recent upgrade? OTOH I had long since given up on the engine and got used to bypassing it...
    mslim likes this.
  7. MoXoM

MoXoM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HELP.. !!
    GPX track with alternate routes import is all one color.. !!!

I like Osmand, However it does not read the alternate routes coloring that is embedded. I have several Tracks that I know have alternate expert, easy, fuel, campsite turns.
    Other Apps will show these colors and data as intended. BDR's for example. But Osmand shows it all as 1 red color,
    Is there a way to extract and display that info. Apparently Locus will do it but im so engrained into Osmand now..
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like people have been trying to get that implemented for a long time.

https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd/issues/6386

This is something that OsmAnd has to implement (or someone that contributes code), because from all my testing with all the apps, it seems like OsmAnd is the only one that breaks this feature of the GPX file. This should be a standard, and not something that has to be hacked in.
    gavmac likes this.
  9. MoXoM

MoXoM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a bummer.. so many popular traded tracks are multi-tracked and color coded..
    I’m going to download locus free and see how it behaves as well as other features.
    Off-road, trail Map detail In Osmand off-road map mode is really great and hate to lose that.
    All the other guys in my ride group Don’t have the have that level of detail. I’m always the one finding the reroutes around obstacles..
    ohgood likes this.
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will warn you that Locus Free limitations are annoying. The screen time is probably the biggest complaint I have seen from users trying it out. You can't keep the screen on with the free version like you can with the Pro version. I have found that when I am following tracks I have 2 devices. The main one running DriveMode Dashboard, and the secondary running Locus pro. DMD handles just about everything I need, but I like to have a different zoom level (with north always up) to have different perspective on the route.
  11. MoXoM

MoXoM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will try the free version only to see ease of track viewing, importing and overall intuitive use.. I don’t have a problem paying $10 for a great product.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prepare to sit and learn, because there is a LOT to take in with Locus. I was hesitant at first, but after reading on these forums about the versatility of it, I had to try it. Went ahead and paid for the app and it was well worth it. I did have to sit down for about 3 hours and force myself to learn to do what I wanted out of the app though.

https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php

https://help.locusmap.eu/
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  13. MoXoM

MoXoM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the links..after trying and using many other GPS apps, I’m pretty sorted on what to look for for customizing etc..
    I ll do the free version for w few days just to get acclimated if it looks like there is Hope..
    I’ll pay for the pro version..
    On another note MAPOUT for iOS imports tracks with all the seperate bits of the tracks and colors.
    Fully selectable or all at once. Extremely simple app with hill shading etc..
  14. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the free version of Locus, I have been using the Pro version for a couple of years now. However the learning curve of Locus is much overrated, it is easy to use if you just want to download tracks and follow them. The learning curve only comes in when you begin to use more of the myriad of Locus features.
    I use Locus to follow downloaded tracks (BDRs and such) and Osmand for most other things.
    ohgood, MoXoM and flamingm0e like this.
  15. econwatch

econwatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reposting from prior.
    Also curious if this is possible.
    Looking to overlay/underlay a pdf map as is possible in google earth.
    For example a geo pdf of the Wasatch mountains for ski touring with all place names.
    The slope data shading is already a good resource, but full names will make the trip and references with friends better.
    (Understandably the best option would be to upload all place names to osm and have it flow through but that's a larger project.)

Thanks.
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

then you're the guy that needs locus
    worwig likes this.
  17. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    You definitely can, though I have not tried it myself.
  18. _Motor_

_Motor_ n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you - Well done. I used and it worked. THANK YOU
    But i thought that GPX should be a standard format. Why Osmand GPX created doesn't fit in Basecamp. I didn't had the same problem with GPXViewer-Pro GPX created file
  19. _Motor_

_Motor_ n00b

Oddometer: