Osmand+ vs. Locus Pro - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by syspig, Jun 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I got the maps moved, when you move them to the sd card they apparently end up /storage/1927-BA22.

I was unsure about some folders, so while Locus seems to be working, I feel like it would be smart to uninstall it and start over. I assume I won’t loose my locoins balance and maps that I have already purchased?
  2. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe double check from the locus help, but locoins should be linked to your google play account, and maps can be downloaded for one year after purchase.
    Maybe this kind of discussion should move to the dedicated locus thread though :)
  3. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just uninstalled everything and started over, and most importantly got my son to help me:)

Relative to this thread, from my experience with the two apps being compared, if you are willing to spend the time to learn Locus, it’s hands down the better tool. The ability to tailor the visibility of the tracks via line weight, color intensity, and dashed lines with alternating colors is awesome.

I’m looking forward to learning Locus.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

check out the backup tool also... you can use it to automatically backup and upload those backups to your cloud storage..... very handy if you're right on devices-it takes about two minutes to restore that backup to any other device running locus, so you never lose your tracks and waypoints even if you lose your phone.

locus is great for off-road activity motorized or not... but several applications do a better job of street navigation, looks Google maps.
    GCecchetto likes this.
  5. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. My main concern is off road nav via tracks. If I need routing with spoken directions, I’ll use Google maps. I will probably spend some time looking for a decent offline routing app, but I had having a bunch of apps all with maps burning up storage.

The new Samsung Tab Active2 is awesome and has a great processor in it, even the guy at the Verizon store mentioned how responsive it was when he setup the 4G LTE, but why they only gave a commercial tab 16gb of internal memory just boggles my mind. Should have been at least 64gb.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

cool, that's where locus shines. enjoy the learning, it's pretty tough at first.