OsmAnd

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by drp, Jul 7, 2019.

1. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well basically anyone can publish whatever they like in the play store, and hope it doesn't get flagged, whereas the open source route typically means anything malicious is seen by all.

What I'm saying is that there is no reason to NOT trust the open source, any less than you trust the play store.
    Davidprej likes this.
  2. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What you're saying is pretty much the definition of beating around the bush. This is an answer in itself and accordingly I, personally, will not download to my phone apps compiled by I-don't-know-who.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll let Google burst your bubble: play store malicious apps
    Google cannot fully check all their Play Store apps and updates as fast as they are released. Run a similar query on open source malicious apps and you will find fewer fewer malicious apps, affecting many fewer people and found in a short time. Lots of the relevant hits are open source projects to detect bad apps, and some that are apps made malicious by modifying an benign open source app and putting it in the Play Store.

Unless you are personally acquainted with the Play Store app developer you ARE downloading apps compiled by I-don't-know-who. Try asking them if you can see their code so you can verify what they are doing with your phone.

Open source means anyone can see the code, usually means that it is available from multiple reliable sources, and includes methods to verify that what you have downloaded has not been modified from the original. I've used open source software on Windows, Android and Linux for over twenty-five years and never had a single problem from malicious intent. Linux itself IS open source and is the basis of the operating system used by nearly all web sites. Open source code that has been downloaded only a few times could be malicious, but long before you see thousands of downloads, malicious code would be reported and removed or modified.

Someone could probably analyze Google's attempts to root out malware, count up the people and processors examining the code, dollars spent, yada, yada..., but as far as the effectiveness of preventing and removing malware, open source has Google beat. If you want to sneak in malicious code, you don't publish it for all to see. And that is ignoring the data-collecting hooks that Google has been known to require within apps, which may not be technically malicious but is certainly stealing your privacy.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean the developers who created the app?

Do you know the developers of the apps in the play store?
    Davidprej likes this.
  5. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not going to keep my money under the mattress just because banks have been robbed.
  6. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip about getting it off F-Droid - dunno why I hadn't thought of that.

As for the Play Store vs. open source - wow. There is so much garbage on Play Store these days finding something of value is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Kinda like the situation with all the cheap crap flooding Amazon. Pretty goofy world we live in these days.
  7. titan232

titan232 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the OP is so familiar with Open source why would they say how to deprive the devs of a contribution towards a great mapping app. Open source is free as in speech but unfortunately it is quite often taken to mean free as in beer. Also interesting that some posts in this thread trust Google play store over F-Droid. Please if you don't understand what the open source community is about stick to Play Store where if there is a cost at least the devs get some remuneration for their time and effort.
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I originally got it off F-DROID and paid the monthly fee just for the map updates. Then I eventually went and got + from the play store and paid once there.
  9. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Does Osmand~ fix the problem with Osmand where it drains the battery down quickly? On my Samsung S8 Osmand drains the battery so fast my 3.3 amp charger can't keep up and I can use the phone to reheat my coffee.
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar issue when running on my Essential PH1, but don't have the same problem on my OnePlus 6. Not sure why.

I tend to use Locus for following a track and Sygic now for navigation on roads.
  11. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I read some older threads that concluded that OsmAnd was probably the best of the OSM mapping applications,
    but that back in 2017 or so the iPhone version was not nearly as good as the Android version.

I'm on an iPhone and will be using it for the foreseeable future ...
    I don't mind spending the one-time fee for the mapsets.

Is the "paid" version of OsmAnd on iPhone a good way to go?

Thanks for any help!
  12. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    Maybe look at Kurviger ... https://kurviger.de/en There's a forum on the site here and the author responds directly to questions and comments.

Easy to plan online using Kurviger's site which uses open source maps and transfer to a portable device. Can also plan on the device but that can be frustrating if you're trying to follow a specific route. Can also plan on Google maps and import from a gpx file (using something like GPS Visualizer or Maps to GPX). I'm on Android but the IOS version also exports directly to Scenic which I gather is highly regarded among iPhone users.

Vinnie
    JRWooden likes this.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks Vinnie - I'll have a look there!
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The iOS version doesn't allow you to DL routes or tracks created on a PC or website. You can only create them on the phone. It's not nearly as good as the Android version.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I import gpx files all the time on my iPad that I created in locus or Furkot/Google.
  16. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    thanks guys!

I'll research further ;-)
  17. Montewest

Montewest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using GPS Waypoints Navigator (google play store, $9 one time fee) for over 2 years with no issues. Make my own maps and trails on google earth, (kmz files), then download in my droid phone and follow the red line. Also works with kml , gpx and gbd files
    How is Osmand different ?
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know anything about that app but just a little look at it on the play store, it seems REALLY outdated. It appears to have the "select area you want offline" type of map. OsmAnd offers entire states and regions downloads within the app. Download a state/region once and it's always available offline. It will even update every so often within the app. Map management is easier in that regard. To me OsmAnd looks nicer and easier to read. It also allows recording of your track (don't know if yours does or not, not paying $9 to find out).
  19. Montewest

Montewest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't do it that way. I make all my routes on Google Earth - tools- path. I can find single track trails anywhere. I'm typically on NJ State forests, also did Michaux state forest in PA. I can find trails on Google Earth that no app, that I have ever seen, can duplicate. I don't have to download any maps anywhere. Google Earth , like it's name, covers the Earth. I tried the free version of Osmand, not even close to what I can do.
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're confusing the tools but ok.

OsmAnd isn't a route/track planning app. You can still use Google Earth or Furkot or mappite or whatever you want to create your tracks.

If you don't have to download maps how do you view your maps offline when you have no connection?

Google Earth and OsmAnd are completely different things....