OsmAnd

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by drp, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Recently added a Samsung Tablet to the bike and I am using OSM. It was great for the first little while. Loved the size of the screen, the powered ram mount and being able to use it for other things while on a trip. Recently, OSM is having issues crashing, not staying on the road, delays with current location and speed. I also like the feature of switching to night mode if I go in a tunnel or under a canopy of trees, which also now is very delayed. I have deleted & reinstalled the app with no success. I have it set to use on GPS for location and not wifi/gps. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Montewest

Montewest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to be online for Google Earth, but the nav app works off satellites. The app has a function where I can draw a trail over an existing map. I'll have to look into Osman further and see what I can do. Thanks.
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if this is the OsmAnd thread... but I have been playing around with it a lot and I have a question.

In the Google Play Store, you can find OsmAnd and OsmAnd+.

I paid $14 (or whatever it was) and downloaded OsmAnd+. First thing I did was go to download maps, and under the "Updates" tab in Maps is an option sign up for a subscription "to unlock all features." What's going on? That's why I bought the paid version, so that I have all the features. Now I have to pay a subscription on top of that?

Can someone explain what/why there is a free version, a paid version, and a subscription?

Jamie
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    This isn't THE OsmAnd thread, but you can read about the different options here:

https://www.osmand.net/features/osmand_purchases

OsmAnd is also open source and as such, you can get OsmAnd~ for free from F-Droid
  5. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn dude. We get the point. Don't download this open source product then. I got my OsmAnd from the Google play store. Get it or don't. No need for every other post to be jumping on someone trying to share info. Go ride a motorcycle, burn some fossil fuel and breathe in some fresh air.
  6. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Where is THE OsmAnd thread? I even did a search.

I've read the page you linked, but it still isn't clear to me what the differences between all the different versions of OsmAnd are. There's OsmAnd, Osmand+, OsmAnd Unlimited, OsmAnd Live.

Looking at the apps themselves, what looks to be the difference is that if you purchase OsmAnd+ in the app store, the subscription to OsmAnd Live--which adds contour lines, shading, and off-line Wikipedia articles--costs $5.99 per year. If you download the free version of OsmAnd, the subscription to OsmAnd Live costs $7.99 per year.

They need a new marketing manager.

Jamie
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    OsmAnd Live is up to the minute updates...that's pretty much it. You're helping to pay for development and resources used in this Open Source project.

OsmAnd is free. You get a few free downloads of maps.

OsmAnd Unlimited is basically what you get when you purchase the upgrade in the free version of OsmAnd.

OsmAnd+ is basically just unlimited, that you pay for when you download it.

OsmAnd~ is + but free

Also, this is an open source project. You aren't buying a product but helping to continue the development of the product. They don't really have "marketing" because it's an open source project.
  8. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    OsmAnd Live also has offline Wikipedia entries, which I've found to be fairly useful and interesting. That's the main reason I subscribed.

Is there a main OsmAnd thread around here? I'm getting more and more into it and reading through past conversations and experiences would be helpful.

Jamie
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have always had offline Wiki?

I don't know where the OsmAnd thread is around here. I've seen it, I'm pretty sure. OsmAnd doesn't get enough attention for the most part.
  10. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I thought there was one... so I did a search. Nothing all-encompassing came up. A few threads with specific questions about OsmAnd, but that's about it.

I mean, how do you pronounce OsmAnd? I've heard a couple of different pronunciations on YouTube.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, with a few small quirks. Wish it handled my tracks and waypoints better. I continue to search around for that perfect mapping app.
  11. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    the OSM stands for Open Source Maps, and I assume the And stands for Android (even though it's offered on iOS now also).

I always pronounce it OzMand

And yes, we're all always in search of that perfect mapping app. It's a neverending cycle, but it's fun to learn all the tools, at least I think so.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Ahh! I never got the "And" part of OsmAnd.
  14. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought that the OSM part stood for Open Street Maps, since that is the source of the mapping - openstreetmap.org :)
    flamingm0e likes this.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha! You're right. It does. I had open source in my head
    gavmac likes this.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I don't want to think how many times I have goofed that up now
    flamingm0e likes this.
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Question about OsmAnd and tracks.

I downloaded the Colorado BDR GPX file, which contains something like eight or ten track segments plus about 40 waypoints.

When I display the track file on OsmAnd, it's just one big mish-mash. The app connects all the different segments, and though I can bring up a list of each segment, they're not named (as they are in the original GPX) nor can I navigate them individually.

Is there a way to properly display and navigate GPX files which contain more than one track segment?
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I'm aware of with OsmAnd.
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    :y0!

Yeah, use Locus :lol3

(only half joking there)
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I really like OsmAnd, and I'll be honest, it's become my go-to offline navigation app. It's got lots of excellent features. But how can an app that so many people use and recommend for following tracks not handle tracks properly? Isn't that the point?

The good news is that I use OsmAnd for mostly offline street navigation, and it does a fairly good job of that, even if it's slow. And I rarely use tracks anyway, so it's not a big deal for me. But so many people suggest OsmAnd for navigating tracks, and the first time I download a track to use for navigation, OsmAnd falls on its face. Have the app developers even used their own app?
    I hove Locus (the paid version), and I loaded my CO BDR track into Locus, and it works as expected. I like that.

What I don't like is how Locus looks and works. I know there are ways to customize the screen, choose themes, etcetera, but holy shit. What a shitshow trying to navigate the proper menus to get anything to look like anything useful, upside down street names being the first problem. Next is that while navigating, my map screen is almost 50% covered by grey blocks on the top, bottom, and left-hand side of the screen. Who made this app, anyway?

Screenshot_20200731-163216.jpg

Seriously. Who looks at that screen above and thinks, "Yeah, that's just about right." How do I get ride of those huge greyed out areas? What's with the double location arrows?

Jamie