OsmAnd

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by drp, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You can hide the banners. Likewise in your Navigation settings you have turn after turn turned on.

.....also you can add the street name to the top banner

Not arguing with you, OsmAnd's map engine is hands down better, the issue is its point handling and track management are suspect.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please tell me how to hide the banners. And how to add the street name to the top banner. Those are both features I would like.

You're right about OsmAnd handling of waypoints. A few weeks ago I finally got all my old Garmin waypoints organized into one GPX file and opened it in OsmAnd. Despite all my careful naming and selection of icons, all the waypoints looked exactly the same in OsmAnd. That was disappointing. When I uploaded that same GPX file to Locus, the waypoints showed up on the map exactly how they looked on my Garmin. Kudos to Locus for that. But when it comes to actually trying to get to somewhere, I found Locus to be almost the same as guessing.

So... I have both. But I use OsmAnd much more frequently. I like the screen layout. I like that it navigates me to wherever I want to go (eventually). I like that the premium version will show you Wikipedia location entries. Just a few days ago I was riding down some gulch and saw the big yellow (W) on my screen, so I pulled over and tapped it. I was far outside cell service; nonetheless, I was able to read about a former gold mining town which was located right where I was sitting. I paused for several minutes and looked around me, picturing the long abandoned homes, churches, schools, bars, and even the post office which used to be around me. I would have never known if not for this unique feature of OsmAnd. It's why I pay the $6 (or whatever it is) annual subscription.

But the first time I loaded a track into OsmAnd, it puked. No problem, I guess I just have to educate myself with Locus enough to use it when OsmAnd falls short.

Jamie
  3. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Settings, controlling, panels and buttons

Screenshot_20200815-075420_Locus%20Map.jpg
    Tripped1 likes this.
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if I can get OsmAnd to NOT display a list of options when I reach a destination?

The list of options obscures half the screen, so the map is useless until I poke the x in the top right. I don't usually want to poke at it when riding and the Kyocera Duraforce Pro "glove mode" doesn't work with many gloves anyway. The result is that I have to stop, shift to neutral or turn off engine, take off a glove, poke the x, put the glove back on, start engine or shift into gear . . .

I haven't seen the list of options for a couple of days, but my choice is always "none of the above". I want to continue to see the map.

I have looked at the settings for various things and not found a way to see the map instead of the list of options.

Anyone?
  5. Vanilo Petrucci

Vanilo Petrucci Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

Just got back from a long trip using Locus Pro exclusively. Great app for off-road but on-road I feel I need an additional app. Mainly because Locus will not display village and town names when zooming out.
    So Osmand to the rescue. I thought I'd give the f-droid version a try: I installed the f-droid store app and downloaded Osmand~ , but as soon as I download any map it gives me trouble. Zooming in or out messes it up, leaving a white screen with just the position pointer, sometimes it even shuts down all together. When re-starting the app I get the message that "this map format is not supported" (I downloaded the maps through Osmand only). Deleting maps and re-installing them brings no avail, neither does re-installing the app.

Is this version of Osmand bug-ridden or is it my phone? I'm on an Ulefone Armor x5 which I'm really happy with otherwise.

TIA!
  6. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    This could simply be a map/theme issue/settings in locus
  7. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    The past 2 times I've been out, OsmAnd+ stops displaying the north arrow.

I usually ride with map oriented to the land. I think OsmAnd calls this "direction of motion". The trouble comes when I stop to figure out where I want to go next. I press the north arrow to select "north up" and browse the map to look at the options. Then I ride off without pressing the north arrow again because I just forget. A couple of miles later there is no north arrow to press; it's gone.

Anyone else see this?
    I've gotten several different versions of OsmAnd from F-Droid over the past few years. I've never had a big failure like that although there are parts of OsmAnd that don't work the way I'd prefer.

I think I'd uninstall OsmAnd then download again and re-install.
  8. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:

There's different verions of Osmand in the F-droid app?? I only found Osmand~ and Osmand live (I believe).
    I'm sorry I can't be of more help. As stated, I can't even run Osmand... Doesn't the arrow come back when simply tapping the screen or rotating the map somewhat?
  9. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:
    If it is I haven't found it...:dunno
    My guess is it's because Locus is focused on trail hiking, running, push-biking where a big area is not needed/wanted?
  10. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the Compass turned on in Configure Screen -> Left Panel ?
  11. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    I meant that the version of OsmAnd that I downloaded in 2017 is not the same as the version I downloaded in 2020. New releases each have a different version number.

When some of the controls disappear, you can get them back by tapping. The north arrow doesn't return when the others do.
    Vanilo Petrucci likes this.
  12. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Yes, I do have that turned on. Which makes it frustrating to have it disappear.
  13. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well when it disappears, turn the compass setting off & on again (Windows 101):-)
  14. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Yes! When I first started using OsmAnd, I had the same issue...

Ummm. I don't know if I fixed it, or how I fixed it. But you're not alone.
    Grinnin likes this.
  15. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's locus main focus, but there are road focused maps/themes around. If you are willing to give it a try, go to the locus thread and show us some screenshots of the issues (same area different zoom levels) as well as the map and theme used. Someone will probably help you sort it out.
    Vanilo Petrucci likes this.
  16. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Your answer may be a way to make it work.

I'm more likely to stop using OsmAnd because of this and several other issued.

EDIT: I use OsmAnd on a Kyocera Duroforce Pro rugged phone. Between the problems with the phone and OsmAnd, I just use a Garmin Montana more often. The phone dims in 70F or 20C "heat" and the "glove mode" barely works with gloves.
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to get OsmAnd to announce alerts, but not navigation directions?

If I follow a GPX track, OsmAnd wants to verbally tell me every curve in the road, so I want to disable voice navigation, but I want to keep the voice alerts on. It doesn't seem to be possible. From what I can see, it's all or nothing.
  18. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, one more question. I have the paid version of OsmAnd and I really like the ability to download Wikipedia entries for points of interest. Except... a big portion of the Wiki articles are not in English. I don't know why. I've set Language under the Wikipedia settings to English only.

Anyone else have this problem?
  19. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that you are correct, have you had a look at Bart Eisenberg's Youtube videos on Osmand, he had a way to minimize the amount of curve announcements.

Sorry I don't use the Wikipedia stuff, so I can't offer anything there.
  20. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:
    Cheers, I'll do that!
    I'm still wondering why Osmand~ won't work on my phone so I tried the "official" Google play store version again and it's the same result: it won't show any map and tells me "this map format is not supported"! So I think it's safe to say that my Ulefone X5 is the culprit. Anybody any ideas why it worked 6 weeks ago but not anymore?
    TIA.