OSO LOCO!! Baja Edition: Oso Tired - Sand and Single Track. And Rocks. And Snow

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigWan, Feb 20, 2014.

1. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Thanks MKJ, I would like to get those tracks sometime. If we had had those tracks to the coast we would have been dumb enough to follow them, come hell or high water.:rofl
    Looks like Moto Vaquero's experience saved us some heartache.:freaky

Hey Scott,
    I was just teasing about taking a bail out, blame MKJ. :lol3
    You did a great job working us on this ride. :D

No worries sion, Baja isn't going anywhere. It will be there when you're ready.
    gregoblv likes this.
  2. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Hi there Q,
    I know Kelly forced you to come out of your street bike hidey hole. :lol3
    Still, glad to see you.

Hay Haywood,
    Moto Vaquero posted many of his Baja tracks in his most exellent report 21 Days Exploring Baja
    Apparently there are many ways in and out. Learning as I go.:lol3

Hi bigdon, sorry your internet connection sucks :cry, but really, "keep Miss Kelly Happy!" you're killing me. This is just payback for that beer song isn't it?:lol3

Hi garfey, thanks for the tech support.
    gregoblv likes this.
  3. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:

Aw, thanks, AteamNM! :freaky
    here's your taco...cat

[​IMG]

:lol3
  4. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the map, now that I have a better understanding of where you guys went, I need to go back to your report and see what we missed near the coast.

Yeah, we were like cactus magnets out there, had to break out the pliers to get some of those thorns out. :lol3
    The jeep trail, that was fun. Thanks

We were sad to have missed you too, we had plans to stay at your place that night.:rofl

Hey, what gives with the Wee Strom. :scratch :lol3

Just kidding, I know it's a finely tuned, computer controlled, precision instrument.
    I'm just enjoying the present so much, I want to delay my future. If you know what I mean.
    gregoblv likes this.
  5. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta go back and ride the good stuff... Next time with a functioning suspension :D
  6. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got the Oso bug following your last Colorado RR. Still scratching.

So I see all of you are riding w/o crash bars. I've read varying comments on their usefulness from existing protection is good enough, especially if you don't mind scratching it up plus saves weight to others citing examples of busted/cracked tanks and body parts without them. Also a great spot to hang bags/storage down low for longer rides. I certainly see the advantage of narrowing the 'war pigs' for the tracks you are running and having less weight for in that sand. Is it just a matter of knowing you'd be mostly off road and on those tracks but would do different if there was more on road or not so technical?

As hard riders like yourselves, any pearls of wisdom you'd like to share on the topic?
  7. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Hi elron,
    I was the last in our group to give up on crash bars, for the reasons you cited. With crash bar bags they did provide a great place to store items that would otherwise take up significant space in my bags. Great for those rides like the CDT or TAT where you need to carry a lot and the riding isn't very demanding.
    Crash bars inevitably get bent and when they do they become difficult to take on and off. Also, they do a pretty good job of scratching up the bike themselves.

I do miss the extra space of the CB bags , but I don't miss stitching the bags back together after they've been ripped off. :lol3
    Hope that helps.
  8. lukeman

lukeman Cool Hand

Oddometer:
    Cuidado con los osos! Glad to see you guys are back at it! Loco as ever.
  9. licascurtu

licascurtu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree 100% with Matt, I had the crashbars with bags myself and it's a very good storage place but we tend to have all this storage on our bikes and as a result fill it all up.(did that on my south america trip I know it all to well) My approach right now is never forget your wallet and motorcycle key, bring just the right spare parts so you don't have to walk to find help.If I have all of this I can easy go around the world any day no problem.

Now it so easy to over load on spare parts if you get paranoid, this is another cool reason to ride with Matt.....he knows this stuff:deal
  10. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were sad to have missed you too, we had plans to stay at your place that night.:rofl

Hey, what gives with the Wee Strom. :scratch :lol3

Just kidding, I know it's a finely tuned, computer controlled, precision instrument.
    I'm just enjoying the present so much, I want to delay my future. If you know what I mean.
    [/QUOTE]

Wee Strom - nice. :rofl

I get it. That is why my Super Enduro is NOT leaving my garage, but our customers need some good protection for the 1190 so we had to step up. So far, I honestly think it is as capable as the 990, especially once you turn off all the nanny-controls. :evil

Rock on with the RR
  11. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    That's the way we run like to run it also, BOLA out to El Crucero

More please!
  12. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :ddog When I saw the earlier pic of the OSO sticker on this window I thought to myself "dang, I thought I put a couple ladybug stickers on that window....hmmmmm I must not have". "Matt certainly wouldn't have missed seeing them and he knew I was there just a few months ago". No points for you BigWan :deal - First you leave LittleWan home now you miss a ladybug sighting. :huh Ah heck, I'll cut you some slack, you had other things on your mind. :lol3

[​IMG]
    gregoblv likes this.
  13. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Aw, LB...
    Those ladybug stickers are tiny!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was Bartek who put that sticker on the window...:deal

Didn't you see the flower pic? BigWan says he was thinking of you and there's more where that came from.
    With butterflies. :evil Day 5 or so...

[​IMG] <------- Lica's pic, by the way.
    gregoblv likes this.
  14. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Day 3 continued

We sure got our fill of single track on this day. It just goes and goes - with 50 plus miles of single track it feels endless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a good spot for a video.
    I wasn'’t going to do one for the single track because I thought it might be too slow and maybe kinda boring. Boy, was I wrong! Check it out.

We had a little more tight stuff and then the trail opened up before Agua Amarga.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bay of LA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was 3 pm. when we rolled into town and we hadn'’t had a meal in nearly 24 hrs. We were ready to eat, a cold Pacifico wasn'’t sounding bad either.

[​IMG]

We found a taco stand that was open, walked up and ordered 20 tacos and 3 ice cold ballenas. Life was good! :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cute kid at the taco stand, albeit a little sticky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gregoblv likes this.
  15. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Next map for Day 3...

Going into Bay of LA for lunch time.

[​IMG]

I was trying to see if it was the same taco place as last time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Different place, but the Osos looked pretty happy anyway. :D

OK, here's what's next...

[​IMG]

see you tomorrow!
    gregoblv likes this.
  16. munstro

munstro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Radical. Loving the videosos. I was just telling my wife how you guys packed so little food!
  17. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next time try the little shack of a stand just to the north of the store. Awesome fish tacos, 13 pesos :wink:

We were there a few days before you guys. Going back in a week for the whales and it's not soon enough.
  18. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now this is Baja. It is so hard to capture the vastness and distance in photos. This is a 5 star photo.

[​IMG]

At 4:20 I think I spotted 2 dabs. Just awesome expert riding going on in your last video. Every time there is a space of 100 feet you guys twist the throttle. Love the daily GPS shot.

Bay of LA, a most beautiful blue water town.
  19. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice video, fn rocks!!
  20. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    :clap Y'all did the famous Window Rock Trail! Bill Nichols created that trail and spent many days building it. He gave me and my buddy a personal tour of it in March of '03 both directions including the goat tail by the coast. It was literally a single track trail then (1 tire wide) as we were (burning it in).

I love that view looking back across the valley and have a blast riding it, hauling ass and looking for lines that aren't wooped out. Good stuff.