OSO LOCO!!: Canada Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigWan, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good times reading the best RR of the year. Most of all thanks for inspiring me to get out and ride more. You guys rock!
  2. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year, thanks for all the great entertainment!
  3. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoyed your RR!
  4. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Osos. And congratulations to Osito on the new Ositoito. I look forward to the next one.
  5. twisted-hog

twisted-hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your RR's just keep improving on awesomeness, how are meer mortals like us going to compete. :wink:

Thank you Big & LittleWan.

Happy New Year and safe riding for 2015.
  6. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Dude... :eek1:bow:super:eek2

Def looking into the other OSO LOCO reports.
  7. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    I love the RR. The Pics and videos are really awesome. We need more 9x0 riders out east who want to roll in the mud and rocks and woods more.
  8. flyhighgirl

flyhighgirl NEVER GROW UP!

Oddometer:
    I am officially inspired to climb more mountains, laugh more, struggle more and fear less! Thankyou OSOS for an incredible adventure! I loved the breath-taking pics and videos! I had almost as much fun as you, just reading this!
  9. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chiming in like everyone else----great report!!
  10. John861

John861 Jew-Raff

Oddometer:
    Just finished your Baja RR in prep for a trip this February... Just plain Awesome! this RR of the folks up north is nothing less! keep it up as it is something for us all to strive for.
  11. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    OK, scottmac - you got us again (yeah, we remember Pray for the Wildcats :lol3)
    We didn't look at the trailers or the wiki or anything...
    Just found the movie and watched it.

Stringer Bell! That girl with the dragon tattoo! That Guy from Memento!
    And, best of all, Mr. F. :rofl
    I have to say, it's really hard for me to take Charlize Theron seriously...

[​IMG]

Oh yeah. Caves.
    I'll let Matt get back to you about the caves, but thanks for the (unintentional?) movie recommendation!
    It was a fun one to knit to.
    That
    squid baby caesarean scene was so gross!

OK you guys...
    I've set a trap for BigWan.

[​IMG]

If I catch him, I'll send him over here.
    I know there was a question about the Voodoo fairing and some other stuff...

Hope everyone has a fantastic 2015!

:wave

gregoblv likes this.
  12. dustyrider

dustyrider dirt is good for you

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Hi, Big/Little Wan. :wave Another great Wan report. Wish I could go up to Canadia and ride those mountains. But, I gotta say, the tunnel gave me the willies. A bit claustrophobic I am.

That was some really scarey hillside riding. But, beautiful hilltop scenery. Amazed. When I was in high school, two friends and I used to ride similarly steep hillside cow trails (cows are really nimble) although on much smaller hills. One fellow hooked a rock or something with his footpeg and sailed ass over tea kettle down into the bushes at the bottom of a ravine. When we finally stopped laughing, it took the three of us quite a long while to bring his 250 BSA back up to the starting point.

I probably missed it while skimming the non-Wan posts, but why was Rebecca making the interesting attempt to put the rear brake on the left handlebar with the clutch? Curiosity is killing me.
  13. Ltbrkm3

Ltbrkm3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK you guys...
    I've set a trap for BigWan.
    [/COLOR]
    [​IMG]

If I catch him, I'll send him over here.
    I know there was a question about the Voodoo fairing and some other stuff...

Yeah, that was me....

Scott

Hope everyone has a fantastic 2015!

[/QUOTE]
  14. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ....riding along

[​IMG]

You guys rock.:clap:clap:clap
  15. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    The part I like the most about doing ride reports is the end.
    Not just because my life gets back to normal, but I also get to read lots and lots of really nice comments from you all. :D

LittleWan and I started doing ride reports because we felt there weren't enough reports with people taking big bikes to stupid places.
    Our tireless pursuit of stupidity led us to meeting the various members in the Oso group. The one thing we all have in common is our passion for big bikes (KTM 990's in our case).
    There have been comments that describe the Osos as "super human" and such.
    Comments like those (as well intentioned as they are) make us uncomfortable, because we (Osos) know that we are just average riders (i.e., nothing special).
    The reason I'm telling you this is to inspire you to get out there and ride. You don't have to be a great rider to have an exciting adventure.
    If your bike is big enough, adventure will find you. :lol3

We (ADVers) are lucky to have a place where we can share our little adventures with people who are genuinely interested in where we go and what we see.
    Thank you so much for all the kind words. It means a lot and thanks for reading - even if you just skimmed it. :rofl

Hi Scott,

As you may already know, Lica had a hand in designing the Voodoo fairing, so, I expected to like it before I ever bought one.
    I will try to answer your questions without bias.

If you compare the Voodoo lighting to stock lighting there is a night and day difference. No real comparison at all. The Voodoo uses a 55w HID projector for the low beam. This took a little getting used to for me. The cut-off line of this light is very sharp and precise. This is most noticeable when using the low beam only, on the street, making turns. When the bike leans, the light dips. In the dirt, I always have the high beam on, so the cut-off is less noticeable.

When you have both the high beam (BD Squadron) and the low beam on there is a tremendous amount of light. I don't feel the need to run any other auxiliary lights, just the Voodoo. As far as durability is concerned the Voodoo is tough as nails. We have been beating on them for a while now, and there hasn't been a single breakage that I am aware of. What you can't see behind the tough fiberglass cover is how well built the aluminum sub-frame is or how good the wiring is. Ian (Britannia Composites) did a great job, the whole thing is top notch.

As for the light cover, it's just a personal preference thing. I like the way it looks.

I know what Lica and Ian were trying to do. They were trying to make a fairing that had far superior lighting than stock to eliminate the need for aux lights hanging off the bike.
    Check

They also wanted to improve the performance of the stock windscreen - at the same time, making it smaller with the ability to lower it 2" lower than stock height for off-road safety.
    Check

Don't buy this fairing if you're looking for the kind of wind protection that only a large touring screen can provide. This fairing was made with an off-road bias and I think they did a great job. :freaky

We all lube our chains at every opportunity. That being said, I only get 8-9k miles from a set of chain and sprockets. :D

We use the ram mount folding mirrors from Doubletake. they are great, no failures at all.
    I tried a different style once, you needed an allen wrench to get them to fold away.
    And they both broke (at the base) in short order.

Rebecca is running a Rekluse clutch, so she doesn't use the clutch lever at all. Since she isn't using her left hand for the clutch, it is freed up to use it for the brake.
    She has a lot of down hill mtb experience and is really comfortable with a hand rear brake. When things get a little hairy on side hills and such, it's not a bad idea to be able to work the rear brake from either side of the bike.

Yes. :rofl

Thanks again for the comments, I read every one and I appreciate them.
    Please consider yourself individually acknowledged and thanked!

Now, go ride.

:ricky

gregoblv and SteverinoB like this.
  16. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I knew there was a lesson in there somewhere :norton
  17. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, Matt, you've convinced me. I'll bring my own defibrillator.:lol3 Moab and Black Bear, here I come!
  18. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Great blewper video!! :lol3

Hi Kelly.:wave

:wink:

:raabia
  19. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. The Osos never cease to amaze me. Way cool ride report and your videos were great. There was a time or 2 there I kinda wanted to hear "War Pigs" though.
    Thanks for taking the time to put it all together for us.
  20. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    That's funny, I specifically thought of you and how you were going to hate some of that music when I was putting those together. :rofl
    If I had to guess I'd say those Bartek vids were the most difficult for you. That's the music he likes so that's what he gets.
    Thanks for watching anyway. :D

Hey Rob,
    I knew you would enjoy that crash vid the most. :D
    When I posted it I nearly wrote "Merry Christmas, Rob!" under it.

Kelly says, "Hi" back
    gregoblv likes this.