OSO LOCO!!: Canada Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigWan, Nov 23, 2014.

1. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    Yes Farmageddon 5.9 did get a new 12 valve Cummins . The truck needed more pulling power to get over the Grapevine with a truck full of Oso's.
  2. Mendo

Mendo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know its a year old but for sure one of the best RR's ive had the pleasure of reading. Riding Canada is now at the top of my list!
    Dimer13, canuk_guy and Mr Head like this.
  3. gregoblv

gregoblv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love reading the Wan Report Canadian Edition greatly. I won't say you all are superhuman or anything, but you do have considerable skill and you know how to ride your bikes to the fullest. Put that together with the loco part and some outstanding trails makes for a epic ride and then your skills in writing the report produces an Epic ride report, another edition of the Wan Report. :wings

As one of the others commented I would ride most of those trials but at a low speed and not as many in a row. I would be looking around and smelling the flowers, like Ladybug. :flug

There are a few I don't know if I would try them, but that is due to my own reasons. :gerg

The videos were all awesome and I found myself trying to move the bike around on the trail to avoid what I would not want to run over. The blooper video really was a great addition, so was the inclusion of everyone's comments in the video.

Take care and thank you for Little Wan going back and fixing the broken links so it is again great. :happay

So as I heard someone say: go ride! :ricky
  4. niktm

niktm nikvfr

Oddometer:
    Hey guys that was real adventure!! To all the company of yours you are the fastest in the advrider site considering you are driving those heavy but mighty adv. Ktms! keep ridin' thanks for giving us all those magnifisent places from Usa and Canada.Waiting for more! Bye
  5. j2beers

j2beers Taxpayer

Oddometer:
    Your inspiration worked!

After meeting Radek and Lica, both of whom offered their bike to me (an offer I was too terrified to accept) and reading this report (which I've now done 3 times), I bought a 2010 990 R. Notwithstanding my having only a 32" inseam, this ridiculously tall bike is a delight to ride.....as long as I don't have to stop. A trials bike it is not.

So far, the most challenging rides on it have been China Head and Blowdown Pass, both of which I'd done easily on the Beta. Clearly, the secret with the 990 is momentum and the biggest challenge is picking it up after the crash.

Thanks for the inspiration, Osos.

Justin
    Mr Head likes this.
  6. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quote from BigWan: "There have been comments that describe the Osos as "super human" and such.
    Comments like those (as well intentioned as they are) make us uncomfortable, because we (Osos) know that we are just average riders (i.e., nothing special)."

First of all, I have met Radek and BigWan at a KTM Rally in Bend, OR back in 2012, and their physical size and obvious strength is likely most of what makes them so good at riding these beasts. These two guys are healthy looking big boys and several inches above the rest of the crowd. I can understand why they see themselves as "just average" riders, as they certainly both seem like just average good people. It's their obvious physical strength that takes at least these two to the next level (can't explain Locul's talent the same way !!).

I can ride pretty damn well on pretty bad stuff, but I am below 200lbs, under 6 feet and can dead lift only half as much, so I am limited by physical attributes and my old man laziness. Fortunately, at least, I've become way too good at lifting my big Punkin up with LOTS of experience doing so over hundreds of falls in the eight years I've owned this fantastic machine ('07 -990Adv).

If I got off my ass and excersized and worked out even just a little bit, I'd be soooo much better :deal
    But it's sooo much easier just to sit at my desk and read these awesome reports, than it is to do something about it :lol3
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  7. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    Keep riding and eat well and never give up and you can make it up any hard hill no matter what size you are. Don't let size be an excuse.:jack

Attached Files:

8. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Absolutely true.
    But,...physical size helps it all be more fun in the beginning, and makes it easier to get better, faster.

I'm not using my lack of size as my excuse, I'm using laziness :nod
    Mr Head likes this.
  9. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Obviously size and strength plays into some of it but being able to ride with out putting your feet down and being really coordinated plays into it more in my opinion. I'm just under 6,3 and get schooled by guys shorter than me all the time. One thing I have noticed is even though most of the OSO guys are really tall they all have pretty low seats on their bikes. my 08 S with a tall renazco seat is close to tip toe for me. Its nice when sitting so the bars ( raised 2 inches) don't feel like ape hangers but if I get into situations where I cant stand and ride the bike it makes finding a footing really hard. Or I just need to not be a pussy and go faster.
  10. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Hey Parx400,
    When you say "they all have pretty low seats" you'd be right if you were talking about Ceasar, he rides with a stock Adventure stepped seat. Radek and myself use tall Renazco rally seats like yours, and Bartek and Lica both run tall Seat Concepts seats.

I totally agree that size and strength give a big advantage when riding big bikes. Smaller, lighter riders have to depend on good technique and perfect line choices to make it through tough sections.
    I am a mix of both. At 6'2" and 300lbs, I have size and strength, but I also have a 32" inseam. With short legs I need to be on the pegs all the time. I approach sections differently than say, Radek or Lica. Those guys can sit and extend the outriggers to paddle through the rough stuff if they need to. That hard enduro style of riding doesn't work so well for me, I try to take a more trials approach - no dabs, if I can help it.

Frankly, guys like Ceasar are the most impressive to me, being shorter and lighter and still getting it done. However, I'm sure Ceasar would agree that it sure helps having some big guys around for the times when things don't go as planned. :lol3

On another completely different topic. @Parx400, I was going to respond to your triple clamp bolt query on another thread, but since you're here... I am prepping for a upcoming ride, so I went ahead and removed the bolts attaching my bars to the triple clamps, just to inspect them. I'm happy to report that since switching to the solid cones there is no sign of stress or deformation to the bolts at all. I think we can call the solid cones and inverting the bolts a fix for bolt failure. :D
  11. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    @BigWan Are you referring to the BRP triple clamp used with the Scotts damper?
    Yep. I have 2 sets of bent bolts and two twisted-up BRP bar clamp top pieces sitting onna shelf from get-offs.
    My stock KTM/Renthal bars are still just fine every-time.

While I have used new rubbers and bolts each time, I wondered about the solid metal cones like CJ Designs sells, but didn't want to add vibration. I thought about inverting the bolts the third time putting it together, but did not.
  12. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Hey Apple Jam,
    Yes, I was referring to the BRP triple. It was a carry over from a conversation going on over here. http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...r-klim-rally-canada-wabdr-obdr.817794/page-47
    I would highly recommend changing the rubbers out for the solid cones. I've had 2 failures where the bars got real loose real fast. Luckily there were no crashes involved.
  13. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    My mount looks different, newer?
    [​IMG]
  14. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Just like that. The 2 long bolts are under the bar clamps that you see on top there ^^^ and are set up from BRP or Scotts to mount the damper base to the triple clamp, torqued through cone shaped rubber bushings. I'm gonna get the aluminum ones from CJ now. Thanks Wan!
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes I see now. I went and looked closer. I'll go fire up the outer and get a set on order.
    Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  16. Jan's husband

Jan's husband Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New to this adventure thing, just stumbled onto your thread, great job!

Was already planning a trip around the Pemperton area of BC, but probably would have just blown though Squamish, without realizing the GOLD that was in them there hills, THANK YOU.

I live just a 1/2 hour from Lica, but didn't realize how much great riding is around here to be discovered, THROUGHLY INSPIRED.
  17. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Yeah! (thumbs up)
  18. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    Awesome report and ride! Had to chime in. Just saw this two days ago and have read the whole report. Hats off to you!
  19. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Now your homework assignment is go read every other ride report the WANs have done. You'll thank me later , every one awesome in its own right.
    pratered and gregoblv like this.
  20. B33P33

B33P33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rekluse do a complete rear brake handlebar kit.