Ossa tr280

Discussion in 'Trials' started by bohica53, Sep 26, 2020.

1. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Help..... I am considering getting into trials in a small way. My budget is capped at $2000. That said, I have found an Ossa tr280 for that price. My dealing point was the realization that Ossa is out of business and parts will be a huge problem. They wanted $2600 for it. Looks in perfect shape. Realizing parts issues, I think I am willing to take a chance. I found that Lewisport in California has some parts and I plan talk to them Monday but I am looking for imput. Thks
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well all that would do, is be wall art in your man cave. The Ossa was a great Idea. I wanted one, but I like my bikes to actually run. Keep looking.
    Norman Foley and 2whlrcr like this.
  3. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friend has been looking for one, but just as lineaway said.... for his Man Cave.
    Call Mike Komer at the Tryals Shop, as he actually did the tech support of the bikes for Lewisport.
    He will give you the straight story.
    https://www.tryalsshop.com/
    Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I rode a virtually new one and really wasn't that impressed. It didn't seem any better than anything else and I looked at all the weirdness built in as extra headaches. That being said a lot of the components are off the shelf parts that are common with many other bikes. But if that motor ever needs anything...
    Norman Foley likes this.
  5. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whaddaya want for $2000?
  6. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s actually a good point. There is the 70’s version or the “newer” version with issues. It does seem that one needs to double that amount to get into something decent.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    An no one has brought up what-year-is-it? That's critical.

I'd love to have cherry example hanging on the living room wall, because it will grow into museum status, but a later model bike could make a person a very nice trials bike to consume.

Ossa was re birthed in 2010 and died in 2015 after being absorbed by Gas-Gas in 2014. There was a 2011 model, I think, then then 2012 - if I have it right - is what started to show up in the US. The 2012 had some starting issues given they were trying to distinguish themselves in the market with 'different' features like fuel injection, so that would be one to avoid. The 2013 fuel injection was better, and the 2014 was even better was I thought a decent bike. Here's a pic of a 2014 with the Tech forks:
    Ossa.JPG

Other different features was the tilted-back cylinder, a cassette transmission, and the frame which was a composite of tubular steel and cast aluminum. The swing arm design was unique. Many of the features are directly from the same fellow behind the Gas-Gas Pro, the owner of Xiu RD. That fellow was a great designer who wasn't afraid to step out and do new things.

Here's a bit of a 2015 in action. Remember that unique whirring sounding Gas-Gas-esque diaphragm clutch?

Any cherry trials bike under the hand of a smart person who takes care of things and isn't crashing and bashing repeatedly can ride a bike no longer made without issues, for a decade and never need a critical custom-to-that-manufacturer part. if a trials bike breathes clean air, I consider the top end to be permanent and maintenance free. That bike will need parts common to all trials bikes, but that's no issue. And there is a parts base out there. No big, but I'd bet one could - eventually - get any part needed.
    UstaKood and Huzband like this.
  9. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    2012 of course.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  10. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My understanding for 2012 staring issues is additional of a 9 volt battery to front capacitor. That and add a kill switch which is depressed when starting. It is so tempting.....if nothing else, I could start a parts source!
    motobene likes this.
  12. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Talk to Mike Komer before you buy it.... He rode one and did the tech support on the bike and knows the pluses and problems without conjecture.
    I remember him talking about how when the ECU needed reprogramming, the owner would have to remove it and mail it to him. He'd have to install it on his bike, hook it up to his computer reprogram it, take it off his bike and then had to send it back.
  13. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    DyrWolf likes this.
  14. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    If only, being married 42 years, I could convince my wife FINALLY to let me hang a motorcycle - any motorcycle - on the living room wall!
    tonymarchman, Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only seen one in the wild so not familiar with the beast .

Probably a dumb question but , could it be converted to a carburetor ?
  17. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would probably rub on the front tire being the cylinder is inverted 180 degrees.
  18. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heh ,heh , well I did say it was probably a dumb question . ( btw I was aware of the reversed cylinder )

Okay then , how about fitting an injection that was user friendly.

Just too bad that innovation was a swing and a miss and turned into wall art .
  19. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually the battery conversion is a ten min fix so I am not concerned about starting. I am however making a call tomorrow to Mike as my final answer point.
  20. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    You can email Nigel Birkett too. He was the UK Importer.
    https://birkettmotosport.com/ossa