1. eNewsletter Sign Up

OT:Help....Jeep won't start.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blemkan, Jul 25, 2007.

1. blemkan

blemkan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drove my 95 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.5l 4cyl, 5 sp. manual, to work yesterday. Started and drove fine. Went to leave last night, turned the key, nothing. no crank, no tic tic tic from the relay or solenoid, nothing. Lights, radio, headlights, work ok. Voltmeter on the dash reading 14v. It wouldn't take a jump. Removed the battery, took it home, put it on the charger overnight. put it back in today, still nothing. I can wrench, but electrical is my weak point. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. JAFO

JAFO displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer:
    time to nuke out the cables. Get a multimeter and check the heavy cables coming from the battery to the starter and engine block. check voltage at battery. Check voltage at end of each. Bet you are losing several volts just from one end of the cable to the other, and probably have a big ball of copper sulfate inside the cable somewhere.

Bet you have some corrosion in them causing problems. I need to build a bud some heavy-duty cables, let me know if you'd like me to do same for you. I use 0-gauge welding lead and pretty much guarantee you won't hae any more problems with your cables.

also, check the ground at the engine block- they like to fray, reducing the crosssection available and thus the ampacity.
  3. Hoseman

Hoseman Uhh...

Oddometer:
    Had the same thing happen on my '94 cherokee. Ended up being corroded cables.
  4. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    I'd guess either neutral safety switch or starter solenoid. Try jumping it at the solenoid, or at least check to see if you are getting voltage at the solenoid terminal. If you are, try tapping the solenoid with a small hammer.
  5. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    1.Clean the batt connections with wire brush. Take batt to Autowhatever and get it load tested. If bad replace.

2. Check cables. Replace if necessary.

3. Take off negative cable from batt. Remove starter. Take it to Autoetc and get it tested. Replace if necessary.
  6. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Nothing here is pointing to a bad battery, only possibly a bad solenoid if that.

There should be a switch at the top of the clutch pedal, try jumpering over that. Just realize you can start it in gear that way, so probably best to replace it sooner rather than later if that's the problem.

I hope you're being a man about this and have push started your jeep to get it home.