Ottawa DR650 Riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TDY, Feb 28, 2012.

1. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    EmmbeeDee failed to inform you that i was the friend who rode his DR650 last week while picking up my fly and ride K75s. My many thanks to EmmBeeDee and Dresda for an amazing time and incredible hospitality. He also failed to inform you what i said while riding his machine. At one point i leaned over and told him " When i get home i am gonna punch my KLR right in the mouth"
    I thought you DR owners would enjoy that as much as i enjoyed the bike.:D
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave - we can't get better praise for the DR than from someone who's put so many miles on a KLR...

And this was buried at the bottom of my post: "This friend's put a lot of miles on a KLR and was shocked at how much better the DR was. He said he's going to go home to "punch the KLR in the teeth"."

So, you scouring Kijiji for a DR now? Planning your next "Fly and Ride"?

You're more than welcome here.
  3. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'd certainly need a better seat before riding a DR home though, it would be way more uncomfortable than the lowered K seat!
  4. koh kood

koh kood Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey, def interested in some NSU screws but going to hold off till next winter to tackle (hope I didn't just freakin jinx myself). But if I could pick some up that would be great.

I have bought from procycle in past and prob will again but suggest you price out some parts at the local dealer just for comparison if you're looking at stock parts.

Delivery/duty sucks.[/QUOTE]

You can pick up some good quality socket head cap screws at http://www.ottawafastenersupply.com/
    I bought mine there when I changed them out. With the cap screws there's no need to take the clutch apart either.
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did mine without removing the clutch, but it was surprisingly hard. There is less clearance there than I expected, and must have spent 45 minutes trying to deal with the upper screw. If the original had been tight, I wouldn't have gotten it out, as it is i buggered up the not-quite-Phillips head before I got it out. I used a one-size-smaller, ball-end Allen key to get the new locktited, hex-socket, button head screw started, then tightened it finally with the right size.

Cutting a cheap Allen key is what I would recommend if not removing the clutch. A cheap Allen key should be easier to cut, and would make the job much easier.

This (after) photo makes it appear more accessible than it is:

[​IMG]

This idea (not mine) allowed me to keep track of the cover bolts which are of varying lengths:

[​IMG]
  6. koh kood

koh kood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That top Philips screw is a bit awkward to get at. I gave the outside edge a few light taps with small chisel to break the seal and unscrewed it by hand.
    First time I set the valves the magneto plug was seized. Had to use a bigger chisel and hammer on that. i put a bit of anti-seize on the new replacement.
  7. Booyashaka

Booyashaka Ride Report Junkie

Oddometer:
  8. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    TDY had a lightly used one available not long ago.
  9. Booyashaka

Booyashaka Ride Report Junkie

Oddometer:
  10. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted this in the other DR650 thread yesterday by mistake. Glad to hear you have solved your battery problem. I'm reposting my message here anyway.

See post #30 of this thread for info on the Shorai battery in Ottawa. The only thing I have found out about these batteries that may be an issue for some people is that they have high internal resistance when cold. However, they heat up fast from the first few start attempts and then they work fine.

If you are interested, I'll sell you my 2 year old Yuasa for 1/2 (including taxes) of what it would have cost you to buy the exact same battery new locally. I'd then take go get a Shorai for myself. (I could not actually give you the Yuasa untill my Shorai is delivered).​
  11. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My counter-shaft seal started leaking yesterday. Not much oil loss yet, the sight glass indicates the same level but oil has been dripping from the bike. I popped off the sprocket this morning expecting to find the seal hanging out from the case as others have found but it was still seated a couple of mm below the raised edge of the case, I assume this is as far in as it goes. I will clean it up to verify but I think it is leaking between the shaft and the seal rather than between the seal and the case. It looks like I would just need to tip the bike or drain the oil, find a way to yank the old seal out and press a new one in. Any wisdom or advice is welcome.
  12. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

pry it with the screwdriver put it back in with a suitable deep socket...
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Clean the hole of any oil when you pop the new seal in. Lube/grease the inner seal surface where it rests on the countershaft but you don't want any on the outer circumference.
  14. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
  15. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was assuming I'd be dealing with a retainer like that but for now it looks like I just need to replace the seal. I'll be keeping an eye on the new seal for a while though.

16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    That post, seen in isolation, is misleading. BergDonk's not going to be making them now that ProCycle will be doing some for around $20. I had signed up for two from BD but will be getting them from PC instead, once they become available.
  17. Slow Toast

Slow Toast pfft

Oddometer:
    Let me/us know when you're ordering - perhaps we can order multiples and save on shipping?
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Possible; will let people know when I order.
  19. Slow Toast

Slow Toast pfft

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  20. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got ProCycle wish-list going as well so if a an Ottawa group buy happens post it here.
    I wonder if we could get ProCycle to help us figure it out. They could calculate combined shipping, allocate it to the buyers by weight and take individual payments or at least tell us what each of us owes for shipping and then ship it all in one box to someone here in Ottawa.