1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ouch.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by atc250r, May 16, 2020.

1. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Am I the only rider here who occasionally has to say to himself: Pay attention dumbshit!

I don't run off the road, but I have made mistakes of inattention before. (I've been riding for 50 years and I'm a careful rider, but not perfect like others.)

..............shu
  2. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes to the first question.

I fly whatever I can get my hands on. I've flown numerous models of the usual suspects ( Cessnas, AKA "Wichita Tin" ), a Beech A-36, a Citabria, a J-3, Grumman Americans in various versions, and probably a few others I am forgetting. All single engine, and a bit of float time.

Frankly riding a good motorcycle is often a lot more fun and far more exciting ( and it costs a lot less, as a rule ).
  3. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I suppose it's possible that guy forgot what he was doing and just went off the road but if that's the case he probably needs to pick up a different hobby. I think the more likely explanation is that he realized he needed to lean the bike more than he was comfortable with, froze and gave up.
  4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    Well in that case you're not quite as ghoulish as I thought you were. Carry on.

I've found riding fast motorcycles to be the only thing that compares to flying a jet. There's no doubt in my mind why squadron parking lots are always filled with bikes.
    Lubebu1962 likes this.
  5. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do we know from that little clip that the guy hadn't been drinking or wasn't falling asleep?

JET
  6. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have done that, minus the head into the fence post. When I was new rider, (and I am still not that experienced) I have come into corners a little too wide and fast (mostly dirt). Then the usual oh crap moment, of where out there will I end up? So you look for the escape route off the edge of the road. Then you go were you look, off the road. Classic target fixation would be my guess.
    I still tend to ride a little wide and outside on curves. Too many times, I have found a local who believes his half of the road is the middle half, especially on blind curves.
  7. sibyrnes

sibyrnes Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just yesterday I was riding my Multistrada on some back roads in farming country when I noticed an unusual old house on my right as I rounded a left hand curve. I was admiring the old architecture and when I directed my vision back to the road I found myself heading straight toward a barbed wire fence! Fortunately I had time to correct and miss a disaster but I immediately thought of this thread. I love to sight see but must stay focused!
    Macho Man2 and knight like this.
  8. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    I have a clock that starts ticking in my head when I look away from my path of travel. I don't do it on purpose. I don't know where it came from. But I start to get VERY uncomfortable if I look away for more than a second or so. Sometimes it will even try to fight me a little bit. I'll turn my head to look at something but my eyes stay on my path of travel. It's like my brain says, "Nope. Not right now. Too much going on in front of you." The whole thing is unconscious. And a little weird.
  9. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just want to say how awesome it is to be in this forum with so many perfect riders. It's inspiring!
  10. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about some "No Cellphone use/texting while driving laws" with some SERIOUS teeth? Pass some REAL Cellphone use legislation and I'll wear a helmet and use a seat belt.
  11. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    That'd be nice, but enforcing whatever is adopted is a significant problem, too. I've seen some educational efforts on the topic, but they don't have much hope against an always connected society that's often more focused on their needs than whatever is going on around them. I'm routinely chided for not answering my phone or text messages while I'm driving. We live in a strange world.

I wouldn't let my decisions about safety gear hinge on the efficacy of cell phone laws, though.
  12. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    So, as long as other people are doing unsafe things that increase your risk you are going to refuse to protect yourself. I don't understand the logic here.

Oregon has fairly strict distracted driving laws. Max penalties are

First offense/no crash $1000
    First offense w/crash $2000
    Second offense $2000
    Third offense $2500+misdemeanor+ 6 months jail
    ZoomerP likes this.
  13. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    In a crash, some form of vehicular manslaughter charge is often used, as well. Not so great for the victim, but at least one less dope is driving, and it might persuade a few others to give their phone a rest, if only briefly.
  14. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Me too. I would not have been able to describe it better myself.

The same thing happens with audio input. I listen to audiobooks while driving the company truck. If traffic gets crazy, I'll have to rewind a bit because my brain stopped listening while it focused fully on driving.
    Jim Moore likes this.
  15. Berchunis

Oddometer:
    Please inform me how a motorcycle helmet law will prevent a crash with a distracted motorist?

Take your time.
  16. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I can't help you out here. There is no way that helmet laws will prevent crashes with distracted drivers, which is why I didn't suggest anything that silly.

To be clear, I couldn't possibly care any less about whether you or anyone else uses a seatbelt or helmet. Your ass and your noggin are your responsibility not mine. I am not arguing with you my friend.

I asked the question because I was just curious why you think that spitefully refusing to use safety equipment is an appropriate response to inadequate law enforcement regarding cell phone usage while driving.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  17. Berchunis

Oddometer:
    Please point out where "I didn't refuse to wear safety equipment". IMO, the most important piece of safety equipment for a motorcyclist is..........rider training. The skills to handle rush hour traffic without being harmed is more important than any helmet law, which is usually proposed by non riders.

Cell phone texting while distracted/driving a 2-3 ton motor vehicle is a dangerous habit facing all motorcyclists and it's about time we took action against it.
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why you feel the need to make insulting comments. Maybe you don't feel good about yourself so you feel some sort of need to be ugly to people you do not even know. You should work on that : it's not a positive attribute.

Really???? Those who throw stones....you know the rest.
  19. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgot to put that paragraph in quotes. Sorry for any confusion.
  20. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    And shu.....no, you arent the only one. I sometimes have to talk out loud to myself to pay attention. If i have to do that twice, i pull over until i get myself sorted or i head for home.

Maybe thats not a day i should be riding. Doesnt really happen when I'm touring but in my own area, of course.

Perhaps husky360 can explain why that is so we can all learn.:D

As we know e ven the very best riders can make a simple mistake. Although the video does seem to show a rider with lesser skills.
    shu likes this.