Out-n-Back options from Jarbidge?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by MoikonaBoik, Jul 17, 2020.

1. MoikonaBoik

MoikonaBoik Imagining whirled peas

Oddometer:
    Greeting inmates,
    I rode the northern NVBDR in mid June and was turned back at Elko due to weather. I'm headed back that way at the end of July, with 4 days to play on my dual sport. Planning to ride out of Elko to Jarbidge. Elko is not a required starting point, it just coincides with where I turned back on the NVBDR.
    From there I could ride north on the IDBDR for a day then turn around and retrace my steps to Elko. Or I could do some kind of loop - Elko - Jarbidge - then loop westwards back to I80 and my pickup vehicle (coming from Salt Lake City) which meet me anywhere in the vicinity of I80.
    I have no clue what lies west of Jarbidge. I see faint tracks on google maps and read obscure postings of trips done from Winnemmucca... any suggestions?
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    It wasn’t that exciting, but when we finished the NVBDR we headed north from Jarbidge then East and slabbed back to Elko. However, I do see a road that head west from the north of Jarbidge road then heads south, if you’re good with basecamp, you could probably put together a route.
    Davethestick and MoikonaBoik like this.
  3. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Check out my latest ride report for photos, videos, and descriptions of 2 other routes in and out of Jarbidge.
  4. MoikonaBoik

MoikonaBoik Imagining whirled peas

Oddometer:
    Found it - great stuff, read it till my eyes got sore. Will pick up the trail again tomorrow. Thanks.
    dave6253 likes this.
  5. ktmrider36

ktmrider36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you post a link or say where one might find that ride report?
  6. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
  7. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    wow Dave, only way to make it easier is post up the turn by turn tracks, and provide a fuel and snack support vehicle.
    AZ TOM, Rips Millar and dave6253 like this.
  8. sharpie1

sharpie1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jack Creek area is a very beautiful. If you get a chance, I highly recommend the road through Jack Creek between highways 225 and 226 west of Jarbidge. According to Google maps, the road is NF-473.
    squidchief, dave6253 and Rips Millar like this.
  9. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    Agreed, very nice road. Just avoid Jack Creek Campground. In 2018 and 2019, it was completely overgrown and essentially unusable.
  10. ktmrider36

ktmrider36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much. I’m on page seven and enjoying the hell out of your ride report. Such beautiful photography.
    I plan on doing the Idaho BDR in September. Now you got me thinking about doing the Nevada BDR or at least parts of it on the way up. Keep em coming.
    dave6253 likes this.
  11. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of good riding around Jarbidge in all directions. I imagine Dave clued you into a couple of the good routes. I will have to look at this RR. Following the Bruneau River is pretty cool. The climb up the abandoned power lines toward Jarbidge from the river is fun. The route south out of town to Wells is beautiful. Routing around the south side of the mountains over the Orange Bridge and toward Jackpot is nice. The northern route toward jackpot has some beautiful valleys.

Some of the routes have some parts that would be much nicer on a smaller bike. Among those off the top of my head are the Powerline road where it descends into town from the west and Robinson Hole which is on the way east. The climb we normally make out of town to the east is pretty rocky and steep. My bike had a nap on it just a couple weeks ago... There is another climb we made closer toward jackpot up White Elephant Butte that was much more washed out and challenging than I remember from past trips.

Lots to explore around there. Have fun!
    MoikonaBoik and ktmrider36 like this.