Out of body experiences!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, May 22, 2012.

1. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent several hours yesterday with a very good friend. He was helping me try to correct a wacky motometer on my '88 K75. After we were done messin' with the bike, we sat and had iced tea and a good chat. One thing lead to another and I told him about my second Labrador's death and how I dreamed/saw it happen. He then told me about an "iron but" ride he was on several years ago. I'll paraphrase:

"I'd been riding all night and as I hit Washington on X highway, just as dawn was approaching, I was on a long upgrade (riding way above the speed limit) and approaching the crest of the hill. I suddenly left my motorcycle and was several hundred feet above it, high enough that I could see over the crest. What I saw was a logging truck that had basically turned over and spilled logs all over the road, perhaps 20 of them, 4 or 5 feet in diameter and like matchsticks. Suddenly, I was back on the bike and braking hard."

This guy is a great rider, although now in his late 60s. His iron but number is under 20. He does not "bullshit".

The reason I bring this up is that, in my experience, men need to feel really comfortable with each other before they'll talk about these sorts of experiences, probably for fear of being laughed at or seen a "strange", yet my friend says that he's talked with a lot of ironbutters who've had similar experiences. I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to share similar ones?
    13, TonyKZ1 and Mambo Danny like this.
  2. tvpierce

tvpierce Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you saying he had a premonition of a truck that was there, or a hallucination of a truck that was not there?
  3. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can only say that he "left his bike and was above it, far enough to see over the crest" Now, being a psychologist, I'm not sure how to interpret that statement either. Premonition, insight based on subliminal cues/sensory input, etc. I don't know! I actually think that we all have had experiences that are somewhat unexplainable. (The death of my Lab. I dreamed/saw him die as I slept. He was standing in front of me and suddenly crumpled into a bloody mass. Later that morning, I called the Flagstaff, AZ pound and found that my dog had been hit by a semi truck....as near as I could tell, about the same time I had the dream)

Perhaps I mis-named this thread. Maybe "intuitive experiences" would have been better. I know that I've had experiences, while riding, that defy logic. I "knew" that person wasn't gonna see me and turn left in front of me" or I "knew" that driver was gonna change lanes on the freeway without signaling, etc" For me, many of these have been without any sort of clues that I can recall, although there must have been something. But the death of my dog.....I don't know. And I'm sure my friend is not able to explain his experience either, that's what makes these so hard to talk about.
  4. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll add one other note: Another poster recently said something like: "If you are to ride a motorcycle competently and safely you must be totally in the moment, a Zen like state in which your mind is doing nothing but attending to the details of riding" Again, I paraphrase and wish I could give the OP credit for his observation. When you think about, so few of us ever get into that deep level of concentration, especially cagers, who often are somewhere/anywhere else, fiddling with the radio, thinking about their personal issues/work issues, talking/texting, etc. If the human mind is focused in the truest sense, I think it's able to do a lot more than most of us realize. Sorry, that's the best I can do to explain.
  5. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    I have intuitive experiences all the time. :norton
    I call it listening to that "little voice". You know, the one that whispers "slow down, or stop", because something is just not right.:huh
    Often I have feelings of dread about a loved one, I always try to contact them, and almost always they are in physical or emotional pain.

I think the human mind can do much more than we are asking of it.
    AviatorTroy and TonyKZ1 like this.
  6. Stonefly

Stonefly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think tvpierce was asking if the logging truck with spilled cargo really was all over the road on the other side of the crest. Did your friends "experience" save his life? Or was it just some thing that happened, and the truck he saw in his "vision" didn't really exist?
  7. Neighbor John

Neighbor John Need a cold one Clark?

Oddometer:
    I was finishing the first day of a "Saddle Sore 2000", heading down in Casper, WY. about an hour after sunset. It was 37 degrees,dark and raining. Being very tired but determined to make my 1000 miles for the day ( I was coming from the Minneapolis area).
    I felt myself rise up off the bike, looking down I thought how nice it was where I was at, but wondered "who's driving the bike?". Next thing I knew, I was back on a cold, wet, dark ride to Casper.
    That's it!
    TonyKZ1 and Mambo Danny like this.
  8. tvpierce

tvpierce Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct.

If the truck wasn't there, then I'd chalk it up to fatigue -- where the mind created a "scene" (like in a movie) -- that it wouldn't under normal conditions -- same as Neighbor John above. The human mind and its imagination are limitless. But if the truck was actually there -- well that's something entirely different, and even more interesting.

I can't say that I believe in premonitions because I've never experienced one, and I can't explain how one could possibly occur. But I won't discount the possibility that they occur.
  9. Bill_Z

Bill_Z Dude! chill,...

Oddometer:
    I believe that this can happen, although it's never happened to me, and I believe in "the force" or what ever we get connected to that enables or communicates these things to us. Don't ask me how it happens or why I believe it. I just do.
  10. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, sorry for the confusion....I wasn't clear. YES, the truck and the logs were all over the road. His impression was that the accident had happened only minutes before and yes, his premonition or whatever it was definitely saved his life. At the speed he was riding, he'd have had little if any chance had he not braked hard prior to cresting the hill.
  11. Korben

Korben Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Freaky stuff...

Had many an occasion where I just know someone hasn't seen me and is about to pull out on me or across me. I'm not sure if that's riding which has tuned my brain to recognise subtle driver or vehicle movements or if it is something a little stranger.

One time I thought to myself "What if I meet a queue of stationary traffic round this blindish corner?" while riding... Well I didn't slow, and that almost turned into a painful mistake. 3 years ago now, but I still remember the light blue 2005 Jaguar at the back of that queue. Thankfully good tyres and good breaking by me stopped me a couple of feet short. I suppose that was one, but I didn't pay attention to it. Lesson learnt.
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    No out of body... Just Spidey Senses. He smelled the accident before he saw it and acted appropriately. The nose knows.

Good leg tug though. :1drink
  13. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I often suspect something like a driver pulling out may happen, and it does not happen. I forget those. Then you have the same feeling and it does, those you tend to remember. This selective memory is something we all do. Weather man gets it right for a month, then everyone remembers the tstorm on the picnic. Or it can be a real thing.

Rod
  14. Korben

Korben Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fair point. You are probably right as well... I am paranoid when on the road.
    OGOBRacing likes this.
  15. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you believe in God, this sort of thing is not hard to explain. :D

I don't mean to get this thread off topic, but here's a story for ya:

When I was about 11 years old, my Dad went to Vietnam. There was one Sunday night when I was at church with my Mom and sisters. Mom suddenly got and said "We need to pray for my husband!" loud enough for the whole church to hear. The church prayed. Meanwhile in Vietnam my Dad was at Da Nang AFB and was being shelled by mortars. One of the mortars landed just on the other side of his barracks wall - but it didn't go off. It was a dud. If it had gone off it may well have killed him.

If you don't believe that's fine - I'm not trying to go there.
    whiskeygut and TonyKZ1 like this.
  16. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    So, we're talking about Astral projection while in a functioning conscious state?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection

All I'll add is that I've experienced things similar to the above concept while meditating but, can't imagine it'd be possible while in a functioning conscious state. (but who knows?):huh

I'm sure most of us are also familiar with out of body experience stories when someone has died on an operating table and been brought back; and were then able to describe what they saw happening while floating above their body in the operating room.
    Many of those experiences have been documented in Science journals and the stories have been accurate enough (as told by those who were brought back) to lend some credibility to the concept.

F.W.I.W. I'm not aware of any cases (except what the O.P. has written about) where Astral projection has occurred while someone was in a fully functioning state of mind. (functioning, as in performing a task):ear
  17. frontiercat

frontiercat Space Staion #5

Oddometer:
    For one, I believe it...
  18. Colorado Col Rider

Colorado Col Rider Lucky

Oddometer:
    I think this is dead on 99.9% of the time. I also believe the mind is extremely powerful and very few, or none, use it to it's full potential. I have read about many experiments that do not prove premonitions but certainly add credence. We are all just balls of energy, with energy and magnetic fields. It is not out of the question for these fields to overlap, especially in altered states of conciousness. This would allow the rider to possibly share energy with the driver of the truck who was probably freaked out and sending massive waves of energy. Especially since zoning out due to extreme fatigue may facilitate a vision or premonision of some kind (similar to meditating).

If you believe your friend is telling the truth, and I'm sure you do. A vision that matched as closely to the real thing would be extremly unlikely to be pure coincidence. However, our brains also do messed up things to us and what we believe and would swear on our deathbeds to be the truth isn't. That's one reason why so many people swear they saw a UFO that were proved to be lights reflecting off something or why it's hard to get a credible witness at a crime scene.
  19. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know this thread is a bit weird and I'm not that kind of guy....but, I've had a few of these myself and can't explain, nor can I deny they happened. See my original post. Again, I know this subject is not easy to talk about....like what carb, bike, suspension, fairing, etc. should I consider. However, I believe that those of us who indulge in a fairly high-risk past time should at least consider it.
  20. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I never had something like that happen, and might put it down to some clue the guy might have had but missed being tired, but there have been many situations that I have been in where unusual caution saved my bacon.
    Just last year I was riding a twisty road after a heavy rain, and I slowed down even more then wet roads called for, to come around a turn with 3+ feet of water in my lane up against a rock wall.
    It was not an issue since I was going slower then usual, maybe the thought of standing water on the road was enough to make me cautious, as I had to cross the center line in a sharp blind turn to avoid the deep water and get to the shallow side of the puddle. There could have been a car coming the other way, or even worse, the puddle could have been on their side and they cross over the center line into my lane mid turn with a rock wall or a big drop off as my options to avoid a head on.
    The thought of cars hitting deep water mid turn is also interesting when you are on a bike anyplace in the area...

In this case, the guy having a lot of seat time on a bike might have noticed other log trucks on the road, and thought about limited sight lines, log trucks, and high speeds...