Out of body experiences!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, May 22, 2012.

1. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    NJ Brett,

Hi might have. But we just didn't get that far into the experience. That's what I meant in my OP when I said it's difficult for men to talk about this kind of stuff. What he was very clear about was: That he left his bike and was several hundred feet above it briefly so that he could see over the crest.
  2. boduke

boduke Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had a couple of experiences that I would say transcended the conventional since of reality.
    I don't tell people about it because I don't know how to "explain" or verbalize in a way that would be adequate.
    The quote above rings true and I would add that we are connected to the universe in a way that defies our ability to define...be the ball Danny
    panhead_dan likes this.
  3. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    Some parts of his story sound like "remote viewing", you may want to research that subject.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    If I ever was several hundred feet above my bike, that would get my attention!
    Too much lds in collage?

5. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a study on the floating above thing, in the operating room they put memorable pictures on top of the equipment, where no one could see unless they were floating. So far none of the out of body people were able to see it.

Rod
  6. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now the only way I could rationalize knowing something is there ahead of time would be the miraculous computational power of the subconscious, but as far as leaving your body, this is a good little 101, if you wanna look into it.
  7. Cykel

Cykel I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer:
    This is exactly where my mind went when I read the original post, but I'll say that I have had similar experiences while in a "conscious state." I think it's possible to reach a similar level of clarity while riding. Whether it's safe to do so is an entirely different topic, but if you've ever read "Wherever You Go, There You Are," the book has some interesting material on the intelligence of your senses (he calls it "inner intelligence").

Also a bit of a tangent, but I might recommend "Thinking Fast and Slow," which has some interesting dialogue on "learning" intuition. Your mind can analyze traffic at very impressive speeds if you are free from distraction, experienced, and are not forcing your attention but are rather simply being in the moment. I think that is where a lot of the "I knew this would happen but not sure how I knew," comes from.

Impressive event, though, and certainly rare. I personally am inclined to believe it. These topics always interest me :norton

Addition: On the motorcycle awareness vs car distraction. I can't even really drive with the radio on anymore. I just turn it off and go in silence.
  8. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cykel, I'm with you there! I find the radio a distraction I don't need. I'm sure I'm a better/safer cage driver from my MC riding experience.

I'd like to recommend a book: The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker. Has nothing at all to do with MC riding but does have to do with the "spidey sense" as one of the previous posters called it.
  9. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wayne Rainey in his autobiography mentions this exact thing. He was in a race and so in the zone that he visualized that he was floating above the bike watching himself race. Seems to be something about total focus.
  10. Alijonny

Alijonny ADVENTURERERERERERER

Oddometer:
    I believe there is more to life than we will ever know. Just from a scientific standpoint, what we come from and how we can even do what we are capable of is just beond amazing.

Example: How can we do what we do and be so quiet about it? How come we can't make robots or machines that are as quiet as our muscles? I need sleep. Just rode from Chicago to Tennesee, now unwinding...lol.

Btw a good read on how the brain works is "how we decide" by Jonah Lehrer. Read the first story and try to put it down. I dare you...
  11. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    One time when visiting friends of my parents, the owner of the house - a current police officer - felt he knew us enough to entrust us with a story he had only told his family and a few co-workers.

He stated that he had pulled over a car one evening, got out of his cruiser and proceeded to walk up to the driver's door. Before he got to the door, though, he said he felt as if a hand was placed on his shoulder from behind with the intent to slow or stop him, and so he did stop. He states that he was then able to see through the door panel and saw an Uzi that the driver had hidden and waiting for him.

At that point our friend drew his weapon and ordered the perp to show his hands, etc. and all went well. After backup arrived, further investigation found a stash of illegal fully-automatic weapons in the trunk of the car. At the station the perp asked him how he knew, but our friend never told him.

----------------

I have had my own out-of-body experience that was detailed and turned out to be true, but it didn't save my, or anyone else's, life... and it was in a slightly different form than I've heard about, so I'm not sure what it meant... only that it showed me something (i.e. that ability) existed.

I don't feel that I have to believe in any organized religion, or subscribe to any deity, to realize there is something more going on. I just don't know what that "something" is.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  12. BMWRKTMAN

BMWRKTMAN n00b

Oddometer:

Things are not as they seem. Unless his eyeballs and brains were floating around in the air his consciousness or spirit shifted away from the body as happens during Near Death Experiences. The OBE is a lot more common than thought and if you ask around you'll probably find others who have had them. I just heard about a friend who left her body multiple times as a kid. Evidently had a tough childhood.
  13. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    "when you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer"
    I can't think of a dumber or more arrogant lyric in any song I've ever heard. To think that we have, or should have, the ability to understand all aspects of our world and our selves is absurd.
  14. FlyingLo

FlyingLo FlyingLo

Oddometer:
    Sleep deprivation would go a long way to explain this rider's altered perceptions and probably dream state. My take away...slow down and take frequent rest stops.
  15. thereal_od

thereal_od Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never had an out of body experience, but I like the OP's term, intuitive experiences. I'll share one, with a screen shot of a map, and an interesting footnote.

After a several year hiatus from riding, I picked up the habit again. I bought a lightly used KTM 1190 S. It was typical for me to go on short rides after work. The country roads, around my home, are fantastic and I know them well. One nice sunny afternoon I got on the bike and headed toward Red Clay State Park, situated on the GA/TN border. It's a ride I make often. I was riding north on Red Clay Rd and made the turn to the west onto, yes, Red Clay Rd (technically the same road but there are stop signs for east and west traffic. This is out in the country, very little traffic. When I made the left hand turn, something felt wrong. The turn that is circled is a blind curve with a rocky ditch and steep embankment to the north. Instead of taking a normal line through the turn, my mind told me to slow down and creep around the turn on the fog line/edge of the pavement. As I got to the apex, a beat up old Jeep Cherokee is barreling down the road completely in my lane and traveling very fast. I vividly remember the driver's wide eyed face, cigarette dangling from his mouth, he was leaned way up over the steering wheel. He barely cut the wheel to the right giving me just enough room to skirt by on the inside, he never let off the gas. If I'd have taken a normal line through the turn he would've nailed me head on. I ride ATGATT but his rate of speed would've made it hard to survive.

Now for the footnote: A few months later, I had the local news on. A story comes on about a man arrested for an assault that took place on, you guessed it, Red Clay Road. They go on to say the man followed an elderly veteran to his home and beat him badly, broken ribs, collapsed lung. I thought to myself, 'I bet it's that asshole that almost ran over me.' Up pops a mug shot, and I'll be damned! It was him! For clarification, the attacker (not the victim) was the same guy who almost ran over me.

The map for reference:

RC_Rd.PNG
  16. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out of body? Personally I have never really had one of those, but I certainly have had times when I felt the need to slow down for no particular reason, other than a feeling. Almost every time there was an unseen hidden issue. Deer in the road, a bear once, broken down cars. Once I was next to a truck on the highway and I felt I needed to be away from there but there was no room ahead, so I braked hard. About 10 seconds later one of the rear tires blew out at speed sending shrapnel of rubber right to the position where I was. I had my hands full dodging the stuff and it wasn't until later that I asked myself why I had braked hard and had no explanation other than a "feeling".
    thereal_od likes this.
  17. Ken Lines

Ken Lines Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When riding/driving I never ignore a hunch. Back in the day I was having a fast blast on my T110. The roads were nearly empty and as the hedges were quite low the tops of any oncoming traffic could be seen. I was swinging through the bends when suddenly I had a feeling I needed to slow down - I did from about 110 down to around 20 or 30. I went round the next bend a there was a farm low loader platform right across the road. It had just happened and the crew had not even had time to set up any warnings. Due to my slowing down stopping in time was no problem. I have had similar 'premonitions' many times and have never ignored them.
  18. Ken Lines

Ken Lines Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think that is a pretty good summation. When fully 'in the zone' one's mind is oblivious to everything except the riding and all the sensory perceptions that go with total focus.
  19. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    I had a guest on my podcast a couple episodes ago who described experiencing astral projections (among other paranormal experiences) it was interesting to talk to her about. I don't know how much of it I believe, but still interesting.

Here's the link to the episode, mods please feel free to trash it if it breaks rules for some reason.
  20. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say that his brain processed all this in the moment, as he was shocked when he say the overturned truck. Its either a delusion, or a premonition, or an in the moment visualization as his brain processed the danger. Its the effect of shock, adrenaline and fear, and maybe some cognitive dissonance.

Now in his memory, the visualization seems to have come first. Its likely that at the time it happened simultaneously or shortly after he saw it from his normal vision.