Out of the Cage - A Spring Ride across Europe 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Don T, May 30, 2021.

1. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Thank you! We would love to accept your offer :-)
    Both Katrine and I have a soft spot for California and it will definitely be part of our itinerary in 2023.
    Katrine likes this.
  2. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    I sold a Sony RX 10.
    It was a great camera but too bulky for my liking.
    I'm looking for something with similar specs but smaller in size. I haven't gotten around to research the options yet...
    EarsFlappn likes this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    glad to see you guys made it home, and thanks for the ride report. any reason no Britanny?

this summer, i will start my trip from Greece and head north to the Balkans. but next year, i want to see most of the places you visited.

i have been using Olympus Tough for many years. decent pictures but great in dusty conditions, perfect in the desert where we do most of our riding. i would like to get a better cameral and that would take a little abuse. share with us what you find.
    Don T likes this.
  4. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR to one of my favorite riding areas. What stands out to me about Spain and Portugal on my visits is the variety of landscape and the empty roads in the rural areas. This is truly an underappreciated part of Europe. Or at least it WAS, until you go and let everyone see how beautiful it is!! For only having a phone, you did very well with the pictures, my friend.
    Don T likes this.
  5. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by "no Bitanny"?

I had a Olympus Tough for a while. It's a very practical and tough camera, but I wasn't satisfied with the picture quality - especially in low light it performed poorly.
    I'll let you know what camera I end up with.
  6. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's about time for you and Sandy to revisit Europe :-)
    Until we sell our house next year, you'll have a place to stay in Denmark.
    Katrine and yamalama like this.
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Brittany France it is. i worked with a Frenchman who grew up there and listened to his stories. it made me want to visit the region. i was hoping you will pass through and spend some time there. southwest France, Spain, Morocco and Portugal are in mind for next year. for now, google earth will do.

agree with the Oly Tough, it needs an optimum condition for pics to turn out good pictures. i also have the Oly EM5, it's weatherproof using the right lens. it's better than ok, and smaller than full-frame cameras.

what's the next plan? did i miss it mentioned?
    Don T likes this.
  8. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    We only used France for transit on this trip. We have visited the country numerous times before. Brittany is not one of my favorite parts.

The next plan is to sell everything we own, and travel for an extended period of time. Unless something unforseen happens, we'll head out in 2023 - starting with North America.

I imagine we'll do other rides between now and then, but nothing is planned.
    NSFW and Saso like this.
  9. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We just did the same, but our plan is to explore the EU hopefully starting later this year if countries allow us in. Both of us have been vaccinated and hope our travel plans 12 August allow us entry. We will be traveling on rented bikes for a few weeks on this tour https://www.motoguzzi.com/en_EN/experience/the-centenary-journey-17-august-12-september/ and hoping to have our two V7's shipped shortly after.
    Our paths may cross somewhere and your RR has been wonderful, thanks for sharing.
    Katrine and Don T like this.
  10. DWEL700

DWEL700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you'll have a great time on the tour, but if you have plenty of time it's a shame you decided to join a tour.

Because of the predetermined schedule you'll miss a lot in the areas you pass through.
    It's very easy to explore Europe on your own - you really don't need a guide.

If you revisit Denmark later on your journey you are welcome to drop by. We always have a meal, beer and bed ready for fellow advriders.
    Katrine and Hollyr like this.
  12. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Here in Europe you can find most any place offering accommodation on booking.com.

I have noticed too that B&B generally is two different things in the US and Europe - in the US it's often expensive and exclusive accommodation while in Europe it's more often simple and reasonale priced.
  13. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    And well worth waiting for. I don't know about you guys, but I really enjoyed it. :ricky

I wholeheartedly agree. While my phone takes good shots in some conditions, it can't match a good camera. Plus, it's not possible to take any shots with my phone while wearing gloves and moving. Now the question is, which camera fits the bill best? :deal

Gustavo
    Don T likes this.
  14. mart´n

mart´n Viking

Oddometer:
    Absolutely amazing R.R, Tonny!
    As several people mentions, your pictures are absolutely breathtaking, and I´m amazed that a mobile phone took those - wow!
    As someone who doesn´t ride that much anymore, due to small kids(which is find and something I chose), it´s still a thrill to "ride along" with you and K.
    I couldn´t help but smile, when I saw the pictures from Baton Rouge. I believe the attic, where you slept, was the same spot we all slept, when you arranged a trip down there some years ago, where Kox kept as all awake due to his extremely loud snoring:jack - good memories!
    Stay safe, buddy and can´t wait to read about your plans for travelling around the globe.
    Say hi to K.

Martin
    Don T likes this.
  15. Aviador

Aviador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear @Don T

Fantastic RR, honestly. Thank´s for share with all of us your trip.

From a spaniard point of view -basque resident to be more precise- your research selecting the roads you used are almost the same than any local would take. Awesome and great job.
    Don T likes this.
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the Lumix LX100 II gets a lot of good reviews but was too $$. now on sale, so bought one. i really like it, and it is one of the top 3 compact cameras out there. the Sony RX100 V may be the best but the LX100 II came very close. in fact i like the Lumix more because the controls i can use while wearing gloves.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1428270-REG/panasonic_dc_lx100m2_dc_lx100_mark_2_digital.html

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX100
    Don T likes this.
  17. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    It's good to have you aboard Martin - long time no see.
    Yep, is was the same attic :D
    I did a short RR about the trip you are referring to.

Much have changed at Baton Rouge since then. There are no more dorms only regular rooms. It makes it much easier for Ben and Hetty to run the place but to me it's now less charming and more main stream (but still a great place to stay).

Cheers T
    mart´n likes this.
  18. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Thank you :-)

I did put a bit of work into creating the track - and it payed off.
    I hope others will use it and reap the fruits of my labor.
    Aviador likes this.
  19. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Both cameras you mention is on my short list.
    Like you I prefer the Lumix between the two - among other things it provide a much better grip and larger sensor...

2 other contenders with full size sensors and weather sealing:
    https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G1-X-Mark-III-vs-Fujifilm-X100V

There is a few other options on my list. I promise to share what I end up choosing.
  20. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am using the Fuji X100 F, very lightweight, easy to carry. My only wish would be weather seal. Otherwise it is hard to beat the picture quality.
    Don T likes this.