Out with the R1150GS, in with the KTM950!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Veemax, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Veemax

Veemax Cape Town rocks!

Oddometer:
    Hi Fella's

Newbie here, thanks for the posts and insights. I'm just back from a 1500km ride in the 'Karoo' semi-desert on my NEW 950. Well, it was new, now it's filthy in places one shouldn't even mention in public. Chalk and Cheese vs my old 1150. Out here in South Africa we do it ROUGH, the KTM's advantages manifest quickly. First time I've looked for humps to jump, first time no drive chatter on corrugations, and the hell with it, the chain ain't no big deal to look after. Sorry BMW, lean is good, less is more on the dirt, and I'm in love![​IMG] Pity about the soft rim up front, ditto those guys claiming it's a problem, I don't recall any wrist-clangers, but yet there were two bruises in the rim when I had a look. [​IMG] However, KTM Cape Town already have a recommendation: Tagasago Excel rims, now I await prices. With this mod, reckon I'm set for a coupla years, because you'll likely find warm beer in my fridge before the day I find my riding ability exceeds the capability of this scooter!
  2. Humungus

Humungus no it doesn't

Oddometer:
    Been there & coming back next week. Imagine if they let you ride up the walking track of Table Mt. Took me over an hour to walk down it !!

[​IMG]
  3. Veemax

Veemax Cape Town rocks!

Oddometer:
    Sssh, don't tell anyone, but I have a few secret routes to high places along forest tracks that no-one knows about, best ridden on a hot summer evening, one involves riding right past the foresters house with the headlight off while his TV is blaring... it helps if you grew up on the foothills of that glorious mountain as a child! Glad you like our fair peninsula, enough to come back again!
  4. Humungus

Humungus no it doesn't

Oddometer:
    Had a great time. Heading to jobo on saturday & then up to vic falls & then on chobe for a week camping out. Hope you have fed the lions...im still not too keen on 1 mm of nylon between them & me :huh

Who couldnt like this

[​IMG]
  5. Humungus

Humungus no it doesn't

Oddometer:
    Hell of a way to get off a mountain....i wanted to get the cable car back down but got talked into walking. Bloody steep !

[​IMG]
  6. Veemax

Veemax Cape Town rocks!

Oddometer:
    Cable cars are for wooses, real men climb mountains and RUN back down them! If men in their 70's and 80's can do it, so can we!