OUTEX Tubless Conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JohnCW, Apr 26, 2018.

1. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a long time deliberating , bit the bullet and fitted the OUTEX tubeless conversion kit to my spoke wheels.

Easy and worked well (well they haven't lost any pressure after 5 days), thought I'd just post up a positive recommendation.

The only thing I had to do extra to the instructions was treat a fair bit of rust (chrome steel rims) that had developed under the rim tape. Obviously water entering through the spoke holes. OUTEX has a video where they just grind the rust away and install the tape over it. I made the decision right or wrong, to treat and seal the rust first (sandblast, chemically clean, and 2 coats of two-part marine grade epoxy primer). Treated the whole 'well' between the bead shoulders. In the process made sure the nipples had a good seal of paint as extra leak protection.

Anyhow, for what its worth, seems a good easy to apply product that worked as advertised.

P.S. Why get rid of the tubes?? Every day ride was a gamble that I didn't get a flat. Extended trips required extra gear to remove wheels, and weight of a spare tube in the bag. Plus got rid of 3/4 Kilo of un-sprung weight out of each wheel.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  2. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went with Outex too. There are a half dozen "cheap" alternatives out there and it seems riders are happy with those too. I spent the extra $ for a purpose specific product backed by Japanese racing technology R&D. Not looking back.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

it's just heavy tape over the spokes, not a big deal.

the 3m stuff, silicon+gorilla, outex, or whatever works fine.
  4. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same reason I went with the Outex, doing 200 kph I don't want any doubts in the back of my mind. No way in the world would I be comfortable with dobs of silicone and duct tape.

The product is more than just 'heavy tape'. Yes it is tape (two types), but clearly it a well thought out special type of product. Both tapes are very soft and workable. That endless people have used it without a problem is what swayed me in this direction. Any problems I found when researching the product were all poor application by people with seemingly little mechanical aptitude.

I actually didn't think it was expensive. By the time I would have bought the bits and pieces there wouldn't have been that much difference. Just the two chrome valve stems that come in the kit alone would cost me A$12. A roll of the 3M tape that people use would cost me $50. The one liter of marine two part epoxy primer I used to treat the rust cost nearly as much as the Outex kit.
    akaDigger likes this.
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:

I thought there was some magic in the outex "system" (everything from an inner tube to a roll of tape is now called a "system" by folks nowadays) until I saw them side by side. the 3m tape is thicker, almost a gel, with a backing so thick it's just silly. application of the outex tape be 3m take us the same, just get it close to the wheel and it holds like a pitbull bite. mess up and you get to reapply the whole wheel. is good to have a heat gun to soften the adhesive, and then it's still a job.

I bought 10m of tape for about $35 shipped. it's so cheap I used it to make anti abrasion pads for the frame. I bet you could hold a door onto a 50's era Cadillac with this stuff!
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  6. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Is the valve stem that comes with the system special in some way? Would I still be able to use my TPMS sensors instead?

Pete
    akaDigger likes this.
  7. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently did a second wheel on my newer 800XC. I went with Outex again but didn't buy the kit, only the tape. Save some money that way. The kit valve is an ordinary 8mm so I bought a valve from NAPA, part# 90-426. The valve diameter works well with the hole diameter in the XC spoked rim. The hole in many MC spoked rims is for 8mm, a smaller diameter than some alloy rims with 10.5mm valve stems. The hole is sized for a tube.

With the Outex "system" you cut a hole in the tape where the valve goes through. The Outex sealant tape is wicked sticky. The protective membrane is pretty tough. If your TPMS sensor mounts by compressing two grommets, I don't see why you couldn't use it. Watch Outex Video for more insight.
    Boondox likes this.
  8. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    Installed outex last week. So far so good.
  9. thetubespoke

thetubespoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was the handling improved as they said? The ebay ads say something like it not being just about unsprung weight, but a stiffer connection between the tire and wheel. No idea if that's true or not.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:

softer, every tire feels softer
  11. Schnurbart

Schnurbart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Way back when, I bought a set of Lester wheels for my 90S because supposedly they were able to be run tubeless. Didn't work out. Coming home one night the tire popped off. After I called Lester they told me that I could not run these wheels tubeless because the rim profile was not made for that. I'd be real careful converting tube type rims to tubeless.
    ballisticexchris and Bigger Al like this.