Over 100 trail in Arizona

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by BigDogAdventures, Dec 28, 2005.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    This file contains over 100 trail sections in Arizona in which I've ridden about 50 as detailed on my website here: http://www.bigdogadventures.com/Arizona1.htm

I laid these all out from a really neat book I read called "Backcountry Adventures Arizona" by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson. My adventure was my most memorable and I wish to ride the rest of these trails before I die. Some are under 10 miles--some are over 100 and filling in the blanks can be as interesting as actually riding the trails. A state land use permit is required for accessing some of these. There are no signs indicating this---it is best to just get one as it is a small fee. Be aware that there may have been many changes in land ownership and trail policy since these were laid out. Tread lightly and don't go where you're not suppose to---and by all means---put a muffler on it or stay at home.

You need to be very prepared to ride these as some are in an extremely rough and remote environment. I went the 2nd week of April and the temps were perfect even tho we were snowed in a couple of places. I wouldn't go in the summer---you may not survive the severe desert heat. I rode a KLR----it was a handful sometimes and I may take a smaller bike the next time--maybe not as it's very reliable. I don't recommend a "BigDog" at all. I would have never made thru hardly any of these trails on my 1150. Read my story and you'll see what you need and what you don't--what works and what don't.

This file shows my tracklogs of where I rode---and you'll see there are many more to ride. The tracklogs are dated as the day I rode them.

Attached Files:

2. Ed@Ford

[email protected] Long timer

Oddometer:
    MARK: After seeing all these posts and tracks, I now understand why you have so many bikes....you wear them out!!! Fine fine stuff. Thanks for Sharing.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer:
    I just spent an hour "touring" AZ in your website. Now I have one more "gotta go there" on my ever-growing list of Adventure locations. I'm stuck on how I'll be able to do AZ when my possible vacation dates are December and June-July-August. None of those work!
    Thanks for the "tour" and the tracks!!! :norton
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your welcome Hammer----although I'm not an expert on Arizona weather the 2nd week of April was great for us even though we did encounter some snow---missing the Mongollum rim was my only dissapointement. Summer would be very bad I would assume. A lot of those trails are down by the border and I would guess could be done mid-winter. In fact I have been looking these over the last few days and may get down there soon as the winter sickle-itis blues are really killing me--and I think my wife would like me to go for awhile :D
  5. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mapsource gives me an error when I down load Bigdog's GPX file - anyone else have this problem?
  6. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    It works for me. Try updating your mapsource engine. It's a free download from Garmin. It does NOT update your maps.