1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Over the Top Hop - Anchorage to Dawson City, Yukon

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Katoomer, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Just regular folk. Merely those you wish to meet~! You'll say, ....yeah...these guys are relaxed and funny!....Treated like royatly in a far northern town. Would like to count you (Fish) in the Pterodactyl Hoolies.....the Gruvers.

Yep....the best riders..most started when they were on mini-enduros and XR-75's. If you can't relate to these, you can't relate at all.

Anyway, have you ever heard Classical Gass during a post? It's inspirational! Hope you can better perform your duties by meeting us in Oregon next summer for our trip to Sturgis, SD.
  2. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    We come from a place far far away just follow the light:coo:
  3. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    okay, I'm going to try to post again. Files were too big last time. Here's a picture or two from Dawson '02 :scratch I tried it again, my files are still too big. I guess now I must degrade the image enough to fit on the forum. I need another pint.:2beer I'll try it again tomorrow..............
  4. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Hey Vagabond! The pictures must be a nominal size to get them to post. Thanks for the post. Looking forward to the solstice and the "over the top hop" this summer. Solstice is on a Saturday this year. Would be nice to take of Thursday evening, 19 Jun 03.

This is what I will be riding this year (I wish!) :evil
  5. MIKE STH

MIKE STH '19 R1250 GSA HP2 Let's Rock

Oddometer:
    We might get them really going with things like subsistance, The "Tony wolf protection package", the latest Murkowski appointment and road construction.:evil

So what say you Gruvers?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's truly the Great Land and I'm on my way there permanenetly just as fast as I can

:dj
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Thanks Katoomer. I'll reduce the picture size this afternoon. Just a little F.Y.I, I talked to KTM the other day, and the 950 Adventure has not gone into serial production yet. The unofficial word is that we will see the big Katoom near the end of the summer. Hopefully DR will order one for the shop.

If you want to check the progress of the Dakar Rally, check out KTM's Austrian site www.ktm.at for daily updates.
    Leaving on a Thursday would be convienient, and I could take off the follwing Tuesday. That would give me sufficient time to ride the Denali. Hmmmm...:evil
  7. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    I think that I finally figured out the file size thing. My good friend and pseudo Mac expert, "fixed" my computer. I don't know what he did, but it's just not the same. When he comes back over, we cannot drink as many pints as we did last night if we want to accomplish anything:beer

This is a picture of me and my tall Katoom that was snapped on the Dawson ride last year. :wave
  8. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Well, I was going to post more pictures, but my scanner is on the fritz now. My buddy came over and restored my old system, but fucked up the driver for my scanner. What's next?! If you can't see it, smell it, or touch it, then it's not worth having!
  9. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Well, Well, Well... So now I know what our helpful government workers do all day! A big hello to my fellow 'Gruvers.
    Larrmo, Chadwick... I finally decided to post... will figure out the photo stuff soon. Larrmo, I haven't forgotten your decals for that GSA of yours. Talk to you soon Dapman:dj
  10. Quigley

Quigley Seldom Dropped Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Talking about Sturgis, SD, I was there a couple of summer's ago during a small bike rally that seemed to involve a lot of Harley's. However, I was up at the BMW dealership where I ran into a couple of guys from Alaska. What rings a bell here is that they were taking about being part of some club with the name "Pterodactyl" in it. After seeing your signature line, I would guess, this being a very small world, that these two guys are part of your group. I was really impressed with their bikes, both GS's, and how they had them set up to ride the dirt roads of Alaska. I can't remember their names, but something about a 'fighter pilot' rings a bell. And if I remember correctly, one of the bikes was entirely pure white. The other bike had like eye balls from a Pterodacty in place of the BMW roundel. Actually, I'm not sure if the Pterodacty eye ball bike was from Alaska or not, but anyway, was also, very cool. I also think these guys might have been teachers, as they had the whole summer off to ride. Anyway, these guys were very friendly and answered a lot of dumb questions I had about my new GS. If these guys are part of your group, and they remember any of this, tell them the old fart with the silver (the fast one) 1150GS and the two brothers exhaust said "HI!".
    :super :beer :super :beer :super :beer
  11. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Hello Quigley,
    Yeppers Thems some of our boys... Come on over to Sturgis this summer, Fighter will be leading 1/2 dozen of us little ducklings cross country to see what all the fuss is about. Ain't never been to farm country before, and am lookin' forward to see all them hogs... and the motorcycles they brought with'em:rofl
  12. Quigley

Oddometer:
    Yep, "Fighter" was one of them! Great couple of guys! Make sure you tell him "HI" for me. Not sure about Sturgis this summer. Has something to do with it being some motorcycle company's 100th aniversary. Not sure if I can handle seeing all those trailers! If I do make it up there. I'll try and hook up with you guys at the Beemer dealership! :1drink :clap :1drink

How about some more information on the Pterodacty thing?
  13. HackyMoto

Oddometer:

Yep there he is the big guy on our Motor De Cassiar Tour ’02.
    A pic. Of some of the Gruvers. Fighter, Katoomer, Ace Dauber, NX 650, ’02 Gs 1150 graphite, Gs 1100 Blue D.L.E., HackyMoto, Dapman, Dr 100. You guess the order:confused front to back left to right:scratch . Bike Names in place of no screen names.
    :ssmile :ssmile
  14. HackyMoto

Oddometer:
    How in the hell do you post mutable images on one post?:confused :dunno
  15. Quigley

Oddometer:
    There's a thread in "Ask Blady, always Blame Fish" section, about posting pictures. My understanding is you can't post mulitple pic's in one post unless you do it through smugmug, or something like that. You probably should see that post, as it will explain it much better than I can. It's a page or two back.:thumb
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I recognize a couple of the guys in the pic. Fighter from the Northern Riders rally in Houston last year and although I'm crap w/ names I believe that's John L's son standing second from right. Usually seen him w/ a hat or a helmet on.

I met him a couple three times ...before the red bike turned blue.

Heard of the Chicken run for a while and on that same blue GS I believe I saw a 'Dust to Dawson' sticker.

Seems a shame to live in a place like this and not have a bike that's built for it. My R1100R hates loose gravel with a passion and I've got a different bike that I like better for quick blasts to Eureka or Seward or wherever the pavement's in good shape. I'll peddle the R this spring and pick up a GS.

My schedule blows in the summer but with a little luck I'll catch up with you guys out and about sometime. See you then.
  17. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Gotta thread goin eh boys? Ok....here's our spiritual leader, fighter man, complete with "pterodactyl" eyeballs. Mr. Helpful, Mr. Organized, Mr. "so where ya wanna go?".

This pic was culled from the Dawson city web site at : www.downtown.yk.net/bikephotos.html

Schedule for the run "down under" to Sturgis is now.....departing night of 22 Jul 03 runnin over to the Billings Hill Climb and fartin around MT and SD until Monday 04 August when the festivities start. Check back for further interim milestones and details.

Welcome you guys, glad you saw the posts!

Ok....now for the posting of our Pterodactyl Mentor:
  18. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Here's one of the Gruvers in NY, NY! What a jungle eh? :rofl
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'll bite Katoomer.

Almost everybody I know that lives here works their butt off in the Summer and can't take off the kind of time you're talking about.

A ride to Sturgis would take several days ...then several days to goof off while there ...then several more days to ride back.

The ride to Dawson would be several days as well.

If I heard correctly, Fighter's a teacher so I can see the Summer off thing. How's everybody else do it? This a group of guys w/ huge chunks of time off in the Summer? Or, does the group go mostly for smaller runs w/ just a couple of big ones tossed in? :confused
  20. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    I'm no exception to the "working my butt off in the summer". Most of my rides are short ones, such as going to Homer for lunch, Ridining to Talkeetna via Hatcher's Pass, or just riding to Seward for the rain. Sure it's a few days, but I will always make time for the Dawson run!! :thumb Also, the "group" doesn't go on every ride together, usually a few of us will "hook-up" at a time to ride. Can't wait till Spring!!:hat :hat :hat