Over the Top Hop - Anchorage to Dawson City, Yukon

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Katoomer, Dec 29, 2002.

1. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Du Whut?

Oddometer:
    Naw, that's oil dripping on the pipes....:evil
  2. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    I wanted to post on this thread again because I have been absent for a while. As many of my fellow two wheeled worshipers already know, it's busy season now. Our :bow Spiritual leader has appointed me as the new "Information Minister" for the Dust to Dawson run this year. If you have any questions or comments, please e-mail me :type and I will get back with you.
  3. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear from a fellow gruver again. Tell papa he's picked a good lad to keep our merry (band) thread alive. Been workin on the steed. She's ready to roll.

Ran across this pic that made me long for an ole air head!:
  4. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Tell Fighter I have an idea for his K bike too!:
  5. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I rode to Talkeetna last weekend. I'm betting the road all the way to Tok is probably clear and maybe even a little further on though word is that the riding in Fbx is still bad.

Northern Riders has a run to Dawson scheduled for the week prior to solstice. It was planned to coordinate w/ some member's plans to ride outside on solstice week. Some of them are planning some pretty extensive rides. Here to East Coast, etc. Don't know how well it'll work out but either way, I'm going to Dawson at least once.

I'm hoping to go twice ...the first week via Canada's Whitehorse route w/ Northern Riders and the next wkend in the dirt w/ the 'gruvers taking the short cut through Chicken. :evil

I'll need luck, perfect timing, and a stack of hundreds. Sounds doable.
  6. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    So what bike did you get Legion? Looking forward to meeting you.
  7. wildething

wildething Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whatever you are all on about
  8. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Yep the Britten was innovative and way ahead of it's time! Wish that Steve guy was still around.:cry This bike was his vision, elegantly executed. Amazing.:thumbup
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Hey Katoomer. Looking forward to meeting you too. Small as this place is I'd imagine that we probably already have met at one time or another.

I picked up a graphitan GS. Got about 1k miles on it now.

I went for a little scoot today and ran into a guy that I've known for 10 years or so but didn't know he had a bike. Turns out he's got a Kawa 650 enduro and wanted to know if there's a place to sign up for the ride.

How organized is the run and is anybody keeping a list of who all's going?

...and what's the name of that hotel again that the group stays at? Fighter mentioned it at the bike show last month but uh, a short pencil beats a long memory and I had neither at the time. :confused
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Finally caught up w/ some of you Gruvers! Vagabond, Blue (& Ms. Blue), Dapman, F--d, ...and at the end Hackymoto.

Very nice save on the white boy's bike too. Brand new RT's look best when they still look brand new. :arg

Looking forward to the D2D run and will catch up w/ you all again out on the road. And yo Hack! Hoisting that Adventure's front wheel is only supposed to happen in the movies! :rofl :dood :lol3 I tried to hoist one on the FZ1 right behind you but I, er ...uh.

Before you call up for clutch plate repl cost after a boatload of those wheelies, you should listen to the theme song from Deliverance for a couple minutes first. It'll get you in the mood for hearing big numbers :cry :strum
  11. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Seems like you're in the Gruve Legion. D2D is not really an organized event....just a bunch of gear heads who set aside the solstice weekend for a dusty romp to the Yukon. Most of us stay at the Downtown Motel in Dawson. Dick, the proprietor, treats us very well and everyone has a great time.

Sounds like you're well equiped with that new 1150 but your pal on the KLR has probably the perfect bike for that run. Should be a blast! BTW, I know who Dapman and Hackymoto are, who are MR/MRS Blue and F__d?:confused
  12. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    A couple of us Arizona boys will be in Dawson the same time as you folks. Depending on when we get there we may ride the Dempster before June 20th. From there we will be headed to Fairbanks and the Prudhoe run.

Tell me about Hatcher pass. Sounds like a nice ride from Talkeetna to Anchorage. Which road do you head out of Talkeetna on top hook up with it?
  13. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    So far, I've seen pics of guys dressed in pajamas, sleeping overnight at a motel:rofl and riding overwieght Bavarian tanks.

BC is where we camp out, ride thumpers for single track and don't wear pajama bottoms in public.........or anywhere else for that matter:rofl
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Yo Fred. You been reading to much Cosmo dude. This isn't a thread about real men ...it's about some people that like to go have a good time on motorcycles.

While you're thumping your bottomless BC butties, Gruvers are out in the middle of nowhere enjoying some of the best of what Alaska has to offer.

The important part here is riding the bike and having a good time ...not choice of sleeping attire ...not what kind of bike you have (mighta missed it but Vagabond's on a KTM?). All kinds, all fun, no tribal bs. :evil
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Cut me some slack every chance you get. I'm a product of the 50's and among other changes I'm noticing that Ron Reagan memory thing lurking. If this continues I won't need to ever buy another bike again because the one in the garage will seem fresh and new every morning. I included your quote at the top of this note so I'd remember what the hell the question was after I started typing. :arg :rofl

Didn't want to use real names and I forgot (or maybe never heard?) what other name they might go by. F--d had the sign sewed into the back of his jacket that said something like "Warning: Strange Dog". The Mr/Ms was the couple on the custom "how deep does this paint go" blue GS.

Don't know how familiar you are w/ the area Curtis so we'll do this two ways. The easy way is to point you to page 304 of the 2003 edition of "The Milepost". If you don't already have it, you need it. The Milepost is like candy for anybody riding up to Alaska. Sort of like the JC Penney catalog was for me as a young boy. :evil :evil

The other way to describe it would be that it is the old route over the mountain from Independence Mine to the town of Willow. Independence Mine is at the top of Hatcher Pass and the typical route to it is via either the Wasilla Fishhook Rd or the Palmer Fishhook Rd, both of which intersect and from that intersection you can head up the mountain to HP/Independence.

Note that on the map at the top of pg 304 the Palmer Fishhook Rd is incorrectly shown as the Fishhook-Willow Rd. They've only been printing The Milepost for 55 years. Give 'em time and they'll get 'er right.

www.themilepost.com
  16. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    I'm getting more and more familiar with Alaska as my planning progresses. Yah, I've got the new milespost but loaned it to the guy I'm riding with. I'll have to check out the hatcher route when I get it back. I see from Microsoft streets and trips Fishhook/Willow road that goes from just North of palmer to Willow. Is this the road?

Are knobbs required for that pass?

One more question that's on a different topic. I'm sure you guys make it over to Whitehorse every now and then. I want to mount TKC-80's in that town before heading to Dawson. I've heard that the Honda shop there can do it. Do you have any experience with them or another company and a contact number would be sweet.

Thanks,
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Been up to Independence a zillion times Curtis and never once took the back way from Indy to Willow. That said, I've seen the route plenty and never noticed that it looked that tough ...but can't speak from experience on the knob issue. Rather have 'em than not but would'nt opt not to go just because I had Bridgestones mounted.

Sounds like you're looking at the right area re: North of Palmer to Hatcher Pass to Willow. If the map you're looking at indicates that it's a straight route through with no changes that wouldn't be accurate. The pass from Indy to Willow is seasonally open and not what you'd want to take the family sedan over.

Don't know about Whitehorse Honda shop et al.
  18. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    Geeeez!!!!!!!!:splat

Guess my bait was too smelly:evil
  19. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Now I get it...Strange Dog! Should have figured. The guy in the PJs is none other than our co-founder D2D. AKA Mr. Bumblebee himself. Had the same attire last night at Franks BDay party. He's the guy with the humongus BAR-B-Que grill, suitable for grilling Pterodctayl wings and Brontasorous (spelling?) burgers!

:rofl
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    That you Strange Dog? If so I'd say yep, that's some damn stinky bait! :evil