1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Over the Top Hop - Anchorage to Dawson City, Yukon

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Katoomer, Dec 29, 2002.

1. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    You should have seen 1st & 2nd gear wheelie on the balance point in front of the weigh station.
    Hey ever seen a Video called anatomy or is it (anatomize) of a wheeelie :dunno A video for the wheelie addict. :lol1
    Maybe I need to join wheelies anonymous :D
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Would've liked to have seen either ...but didn't. Do love a good wheelie though and have been working on 'em on the FZ1. Saved a how to article from a euro mag last summer on how to do it right. The FZ1 will definitely get it up but you're going damn fast quick (lift's automatically at 7k in first, but you're getting close to 50mph).

I guess I should stuff some crash bars on the GS and try hoisting a few on it. BMW clutch replacements will make your butt sore though.
  3. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Hey Fred,
    We Gruvers know about jungle camping too, it's just when we go in that direction, we tend to take the road less travelled and the proper equipment. You're right, the GS's are alittle big for bushwackin', thats why we all have 2-stroke knucklebusters or wheelers. Won't catch my 10k+ road runner wallowing her big ass-butt in the soft stuff, when the 4x mudders left all alone at home. I mean shit boy, ya don't bring dice to a knife fight! And secondly, I much prefer the guys running around in their pj's, than hanging with said same wearing nuthin but thongs... Guess you BC boys do things alittle different in Cunadadada!:): :rofl :huh
    Come on up to Dawson with us, we'll break you of those bad habits!
  4. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Well here goes... finally got some photo's of the bike. Wouldn't cha know, right before I go and try to sell her! As you can see, Hogleys aren't the only ones who can paint up their iron:evil
  5. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    another view.
  6. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Close up of the tank. Special thanks to Perry Cowles for the airbrushing... This paint job helped me to nab 2nd place in this years Custom Bike & Cycle show here in Anchorage in the Dual-Sport Class. There were at least two bikes in our class that outdid this bike in cleanliness & goodies, special mention to my buddy Fastlane with his "way deep Blue" DLE GS!
  7. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Back off boys:hair, this Vagabond is expanding his horizens to include this Big Bavarian Bike:evil :evil :evil :evil
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Err, that would be a Bavarian Tank according to Fred. :evil :evil
  9. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Tank? What does Fred know anyway? It's an Alaskan Highway Bomber!:jive If I really want to play in the gross stuff, I've got my great KTM!
    Can Fred come out and play? :whip
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    IxNay on the GS wheelies. This bike is not for a man of my skills to be hoisting.

Shockingly high first gear. Oddly high balance point and suprisingly low c of g. Difficult to get up w/out bouncing front susp AND clutching it ...and if anything goes wrong at all it's damn tough to save. The worst part is the gear ratio though.

Tonight I got my new GS (1000 miles on 'er) scuffed in while horsing around in a parking lot waiting for a riding buddy to show. Nothing bad, just muddied up my riding gear and ground a little plastic off the cylinder guard mostly. I did notice though that saves don't come easy on a 600 pound bike. :tough
  11. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Ouch...:(:

Thats one of the reasons I do not try very hard at being an Evel Kneivel impersonator. Maybe we should all enroll in the next "Wild Man" Hackeymoto's Bavarian Tank wheelie school. He makes standing these beasties on end look easy. His 1-2 gear escape last friday night was impressive to say the least, and I didn't hear fork slap when he set it down either. My feeble attempts lift the front wheel, a whopping 1'- 1 1/2' off the tarmac at most, rattle my fillings loose when she slams back to earth. Oh well not all of us were meant to be cooool.:dj
  12. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I though women went to Alaska because the odds were good, but the goods were odd.

Seen on an Alaska plated car last year: "loose women tightened here"
  13. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Sure! ...and the old saw here is that you never lose your woman, just your turn. :evil
  14. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    D2D
    over the top hop
    Whatever

Safety meeting and BBQ
    June 6th
    Mike Poling's house
    Last house on the left-Lilac Dr.
    6:00pm
    BYOB (B=bike, beverage, beer, broad, brats, beans, etc)
  15. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Out in the Aleutians we used to say "A beautiful woman behind every tree"

[​IMG]
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Yep. More like a handful of pass-around skanks. Used to be like our own little HSVII incubator in the middle of nowhere. :arg :nono
  17. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Yep. When I went out to work, the bossman said "Either import or do without"

God what gorgeous country, no?
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Absolutely stunning. Sadly, the weather is too.

The import comment reminds me of a buddy from Seattle that moved up in the early 80's to work. His boss in Seattle gave him a photo button like the kind you buy at a carnival to wear on his jacket ...only this one was a close up of a snatch. His boss told him it'd be about the last of it he'd see. He was right enough.

You'd be suprised at how many people (myself included) took a real good look at that button trying to figure out what the hell it was.

Every last one of 'em would jerk their head back like they couldn't believe what they'd seen as they figured out what it was. The most jaded guy you can imagine would instantaneously recoil at the moment of recognition. :evil
  19. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    And that, in a nut shell, is Alaskan humor my friends.
  20. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    Dang, I'm going up there this summer. I can't bring it with and I don't want to do without. Can I purchase some once I get there?:rofl :rofl