Over the Top Hop - Anchorage to Dawson City, Yukon

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Katoomer, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    Purchase, no. Rent, yes. But the price:quality ratio is pretty rough. And you'll want to wear one of these

[​IMG]

Actually that's not fair. Women in AK are excellent folks. It's just that if she aint taken or too young...well lets just say there are reasons she's single. :rofl
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Swollen. Nasty ass orange rash all over him but planning to go back in again anyway first chance he gets.

Yep, he's one of ours.
  3. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    :evil Welcome to the forum AKRider. Now.....let's see if I can guess???? Got it, the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Dapman say's he's working on my Killer Bee stickers. That's cool cuz Gerald had a guy in Houston design one for the old bumblebee. Says he is going to air brush it on the tank. Mine needs to be approximately 3 inches to fit on the side of the upper fender. Hey Dapman...got any ideas? Run across any killer bees?

:evil

Bike looks sweet, Vagabond is definately steppin up. Although his Katoomer is still more off road worthy, he now has a pack mule to go with. Best of both worlds! Way to go guys.....nice to keep a beauty like Dapman's bike in the family. :clap

Check this, first one to recognize the location gets a gold star.:confused
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'll bite ...got no clue where it is, but based on the color of the birch I'd say that it's at least 250 mi north of Anchorage.

What do I win. :wave :heh:
  5. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    If you're talking latitude, you're pretty close but no cigar. Boyo Lake Campground down the Cassiar, Yukon Territory, Canada.

This picture was taken about an hour before Dapman got "high jumped" by a mountain goat doing about 45mph! Good thing he had a change of clothes.:rofl
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Yesterday, as many fellow gruvers saw, I got my girl back on the road. But all is not well in the land of Vagabond. Playing hard today, I managed to flatside my front rim!!! It's not too bad, but I must now build a new front wheel.:tough After being on the big BMW, the Katoom feels a little alien to me, but she is infinately capable off the beaten path. Tomorrow, I think that i'm going to try to finish off my front wheel, wish me luck!:jump:jump:jump
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Just let it go, Vagabond. As someone that has spent a significant amount of time flying off of motorcycles (ehh ...you probably noticed in Girdwood last week that my FZ1 is scuffed up pretty good too) I can tell you that success in this area depends on what kind of part is damaged.

For example, if your engine is damaged you can finish is off by abusing the crap out of it and forgeting about maintainance. Successfully finishing off that motor is almost guaranteed and you won't get hurt doing it.

To finish off a flat spotted front wheel though will require a pretty good impact. Even if you jump off before the actual wreck ...there's a fair chance that there's going to be some pain in there somewhere.

Better just to get a new wheel and try to forget about the old one. :evil

Do a better job next time and you won't have to deal with these uncomfortable issues.
  8. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Legion, I have taken your words to be wise and honest, and I won't destroy the Katoom today. The parts that I'd most likely break would be my own, and that isn't too enticing. I will, however, wheelie around town today, and order a new hoop tomorrow. :evil
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    This too shall pass. :evil
  10. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
  11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Wise choice. :scratch
  12. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd drop a little bombshell... Larmo, aka Katoomer's little thread has had an amazing 5,436 hits as of this posting! It seems the world of Adventurers are more than a little interested in our Solstice Duel in the Dirt.:thumb

A word of advice to those planning on joining the group in Dawson this year, Hotels are filling up fast. It seems someone forgot to tell the friggin' touristos that the 'Gruvers own Canada that weekend! Space still available to those staying in the campground. Not a bad place to hang out if yur into New Age dreadlock hippie chicks with braided pit hair and two week old underwear! Ya gotta luv those earthy college chicks...:huh

More info on this years ride as it comes available...
  13. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    :rofl Braided pits? :puke2 Thanks for the notice Dapman...good advice on the room situtation. Haven't got anything booked yet but I will soon. Thanks for the bumble bee stickers. Got a call that they're ready. Will try to pick them up tomorrow during lunch.

Had a great ride to Seward last weekend. Still cool across the passes but sunny and georgeous!:clap Poor Vagabond....didn't he know you can't improve upon the wheel?:bash Sounds like a new lacing is in order... ouch!
  14. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    Were going to be up there around that time. Do you know the location on the web to reserve places for hotels and the campground?

Thanks,
  15. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
  16. Humungus

Humungus no it doesn't

Oddometer:
    Thats a pretty cool photo there Hacky :thumb
  17. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    How about the campground. I've always been partial to hairy college girls.:evil
  18. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Campground? Isn't that too far to walk to the Bar?
    What happened to the plan of Dawson Dick reserving the rooms in the hotel anex for the gruvers. I was looking forward to sitting in the hot tub.

Who's leaving when? Are we going to meet at the weigh station?
    Breakfast in Palmer? Who's running this railroad anyway?
  19. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    I think that I'm running this train,:confused but I need some more feed-back from my fellow Gruvers. Please e-mail me or stop by the shop.:ear :ear
  20. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Well, I really don't feel like building a wheel, so I beat the hoop "round" again.:jump:jump that'll do until the wheel becomes a real problem.