Over the Top Hop - Anchorage to Dawson City, Yukon

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Katoomer, Dec 29, 2002.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Sad news indeed.

When my ladies got back from Grace, Sunday, they mentioned that some had been late to church and those that were had been really upset after having seen a bad m/c wreck.

No description of bike , no circumstances, no nothing ...but the town is small enough that you can bet it's someone you know. At the very furthest it's a friend of a friend that went down.

If I know Frank it is by sight and not name. Does anyone have a pic of him?

My condolences to his friends and family.
  2. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
  3. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Frankie is the guy in the middle, wearing the hat.
    :waysadI still can't believe he's gone:waysad
  4. globaldude

globaldude AdrenelineJunkie

Oddometer:
    Gruvers,

When Akrider replied to Katoomer (Page 8) regarding the time for the "D2D BBQ and Safety Meeting" he didn't put an address for the above affair. Mike's house is at 12000 Lilac Drive. Go exactly two miles east on Huffman Road from New Seward Hwy and turn left on Lilac Drive. It is the last house on the left side of Lilac Drive. Date is Friday June 6th, time 6 PM. We'll have beer and brats, but observe the other BYOB info in his post.

Also, it would be great to get some idea of the number of hooligans coming (Anchorage Police Dept request) so send a PM to me here if you think you're going to make it.

We need to put our heads together and figure out how to celebrate Frankie's life in our own special way. Please send your ideas.
  5. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    GlobalDude,

Welcome to the forum... See ya at the Shindig if not sooner.
  6. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Thanks dapman,
    Good to be aware of this waaay cool site! See you the 6th!
    Globaldude
  7. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gruvers:

A memorial service will be held Friday at 11am for Frankie.
    It will be at Elizabeth Ann Seton Church.

Try to attend to support Frank Sr.

And if you can, send your check to support Frankies kids.
    A memorial fund is being set up at Ak. USA in his name.

Sad day.......
  8. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Akrider, where is the church?
  9. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Vagabond,
    I don't know if akrider is still on, but the church is located about a quarter mile east of Lake Otis on Huffman Road. On the north side.
    Globaldude
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    :thumb In

...and I'll ride there.
  11. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    I hope anyone who can - does ride there. I know that's what Frankie would like us to do. Fastlane and I will both be riding in, and Katoomer has stated he will also.
  12. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    I'm riding in also. Fred and Mike Hays will be riding as well.
  13. globaldude

Oddometer:
    I'll ride too, sounds like a nice way to honor Frankie!
    Globaldude
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I just rode over the top this weekend. Man, that is one huge ride! :thumb

You name it ...I just went through it. The highway had been open for 11 days when I crossed at the high border. My riding buddy and I went through some fabulous weather, some incredible country, some driving snow w/ terrible visibility, miles of mud, hail, rain, a lightning storm, the honor of being the first hospital visit of the Taylor Hwy m/c season (flipped one of the bikes), and more. I've had 3 hours sleep in the last 2 days and those were spent on the floor in the laundry room of the shithouse hotel at Destruction Bay (took the long way back).

I did it two up w/ one of my daughters on the back. Oh, yeah. Had a gas.

I am absolutely thumped as I write this. Exhausted and shakey, but I did want to say thanks to Fighter and the Gruvers as you are where I heard of this ride ...and that I'm looking forward to making the D2D solstice run.

Btw, I got pics ...wanna see? It'll take me a while as my bed is calling. Loud.

That's one hellacious trip!
  15. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip legion!

Please post more details (especially the gnarly stuff) when you get a chance. It helps us keep up the "gruverstoughasnails" thing, don't ya know.

Be sure and bring all your pictures to the D2D "Safety" meeting and BBQ on the 6th, OK?
    Looking forward to hearing the whole yarn.

Globaldude
  16. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    :jumpSounds like my kind of journey!:jump The Next time you make this trip, a silver KTM will be in the mix. If I knew that the trip was going to be that exciting, I would have forfeited my (boring):snore weekend activities for this adventure! Before D2D, I will rebuild/re-true my front wheel, no more road-side fixes. No really, I'm going to do it this time. I Promise!
  17. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Hey Legion,

Since you just did the run last week, maybe you can answer a question for all of us.

I was just looking at the Ak DMV site and they have a travelers alert saying that you now need a certified birth certificate (criminy, some Gruvers don't even know who their fathers are!) or Passport in addition to a valid drivers license (can you believe that?) to get into Canada.

What's was your experience last weekend? Any problems? Did you have all that stuff?

Thanks, GlobalDude
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Papers? Yep, they like 'em ...and nope, I didn't have the kind they wanted. Here's what it worked out to be:

I handed them my ADL and attached to it w/ a hinge made of tape was my concealled carry permit w/ a picture on it as well. For me the two seemed to suffice although they wanted more and they made it a point to make sure that I understood that... "in light of the recent 9/11 events we are now requiring..." blah blah blah.

They wanted a passport. I didn't have it. They let me through.

Next up was my daughter. The daughter I brought is 14 and before leaving I had my wife write me a properly dated note that said:

"To Whom it May Concern:
    My husband (legion) has permission to take my daughter (inserted full legal name of daughter) into Canada.

.........Mrs. Legion"

and the letter was dated the 5/23.

When the female border guard looked at that she said this really needs to be notarized, eh? She then said a bunch of other stuff too but the main thing I noticed was that she had the authority to use discretion.

So if your first response to her question would be something like "Hey, notarized documents don't mean jack, eh" and you act like a cornhole, I doubt you'll get through. If you don't have what they want but are polite and don't have the trappings of a terrorist on you ...you might have a decent crack at getting through anyway.

My riding buddy handed them his passport and she said "this really needs to be signed, eh?" He said thanks, sorry, etc. and got through no prob. She clearly liked passports quite a bit. I got a 3 minute lecture and he got the welcome wagon.

Have your documents in order and if it's something hand written make sure you get it notarized. Beats me as to why but they seem to attach tacit credibility to notarized documents. :confused

Their questions were...
    1) Got any weapons?
    2) Got any hooch?
    3) Got smokes? ...drugs?
    4) Got any intention of leaving anything in Canada?
    5) How long do you intend to stay?

They didn't ask about money or insurance which were always big Q's for them in years past, but I got over it.

Btw, she made it a point to mention a certified birth certificate, which she pointed out is different from just the standard old photocopy we're all used to seeing.

On the way out of Canada the US boys were polite, picky, never said "eh?", and were looking to verify that you were who you said you were by checking some kind of computer dbase. The guy asked "so (legion), where were you born?" As he was looking at me a gal behind him was keying up my particulars and verifying some of that info.

It was clear that they were doing some sort of background check on the spot and I was mildly concerned about what the next question or two might be given that my daughter was on the back. No tough questions ...a particular interest was given to my daughter's paperwork ...and the guy said "welcome home".

Cake walk. Just for the record, I doubt that I'll have all the docs lined up perfectly next time either but I also bet I'll get little more than another lecture. Bring 'em if you can. If you can't though, sometimes you just gotta ask yourself ...do you feel lucky, punk?
  19. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Thanks Legion,

I just checked, my passport is still valid and signed so I'll bring it along and save the hassle. Last year we had a tough as nails customs gal who was just plain surly. Of course, none of us had all of the required stuff either so that didn't help her mood.

I appreciate the update and I'm sure the other Gruvers will be checking the thread and digging out the passport or "Certified" Birth Certificate.

Glad they didn't ask you any embarrassing questions with your daughter there, boy that could have been interesting. "Gee Dad, I didn't know thus and such?" "What's a DUI Dad?" Oh, the possibilities!

For the benefit of those Gruvers who wondered if I would ever actually buy a nice Transalp, please be advised that I have done the deed! When I get a clear title so I can ride it legally and actually "own" it I will be riding my "new to me" 1989 Transalp (6,875 actual miles) cherry condition, to Dawson with ya'll on the 18th of June '03! I'm even thinking about putting new tires on it. The ones on it have good tread, but they are 14 years old and a tad "stiff". Front end is way too soft and the rear feels like it doesn't have a shock, but I'll get it dialed in soon.

Thanks again for the info Legion! GlobalDude
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    You're welcome 'Dude. Sounds like you just snagged a sweet bike. It isn't often that you find a fairly rare 15 year old dual sport in cherry condition up here. Less than 500 miles a year or so put on it too ...that's a bonus.

I stayed up late last night putting a review of my ride together and will wrench on some of the pics to get 'em cut down to size and trimmed this evening. It ought to be posted by midnight or so tonight.

Here's a taste...