Overheating Husq 701 Enduro - KTM warranty... heeeere we go!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Wallybanger, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Wallybanger

Wallybanger Shraper & Braper

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I made my account here a couple weeks ago and now I get to grace you all with a first post dealing with a Husqvarna 701 Enduro warranty issue! So this should be fun!

Little back story. I grew up on bike but nothing crazy. Mostly dirtbikes to mess around in the fields and woods. No racing experience or anything. For some reason I was never all that comfortable doing crazy stuff offroad. I bought a '96 KLX-650 (Yes, a klX-650) when I was in my early 20s and played around on that for a while before transitioning to street. From there the KLX pretty much collected dust in the garage for 15 years while I pounded pavement.

Anyway, a couple years ago I made the move to Mexico (Baja) and I could see that this was no place for a streetbike so I made the move back to dirt. I bought a 2019 Husqvarna 701 E and I've been loving it. Surprisingly, all of my street experience has made me WAY more comfortable in the dirt than I ever was before. These days I'm not having much trouble blasting rocky single track or dashing sandy woops which I found surprising. Maybe I'm getting braver in my old age?

So I bought the bike last September and I've put about 5000km on it in 10 months. For the most part it's been pretty trouble free. I noticed it likes to consume oil around the 3000km mark but I haven't been able to figure out exactly how much. It seems to be consuming about 200-300ml every 1000km which seems high and the dealer just told me to keep an eye on it.

The real problem seems to have started about a month ago. I found myself in a sandy arroyo and I didn't have much choice but to ride it out and the bike got hot. She started leaking coolant but what first caught my attention was that my clutch stopped working. I guess the fluid got too hot and I got some sort of clutch fade. When I got home I topped up the coolant and it only took about 300ml so, based on hearing that these bikes run hot (thanks KTM) I didn't pay it much more attention and didn't have any further problems until last weekend.

I went for a big ride (300km) with friends on Sunday and didn't really notice any issues. I was riding pretty slowly because we were out with a new rider so I could barely get out of second gear. Before heading home we rode a section along the beach in soft sand and the bike was working pretty hard but I didn't notice any issues. No power loss, no warning lights, everything seemed fine. When I got home I could hear a hissing noise and I noticed that the overflow tank was empty.

I opened the radiator to check it and there was no visible coolant..... so I filled it back up. I was absolutely shocked to see that it took over a litre of coolant. I filled the overflow tank back up as well as I had to go to the gym so I started the bike and it started fine. It was running fine. No apparent loss of power or any indication that anything was wrong so I'm hoping no damage has been done to the engine. While riding to the gym I noticed coolant leaking. I didn't think it was coming out of the overflow hose so I was pretty sure it was a rad leak.

Fast forward to today... I pulled all the cowling off and filled everything back up and went for a ride. Sure enough, there's a pinhole on the back side of the rad in an area where nothing touches it and it looks like it's right at a spot where the tube is welded to the cooling fins... so my guess is a bad weld.

IMG_20200709_172936_1.jpg

Now for the fun part. I'm in Mexico. The borders are closed because of COVID. I called the dealer and they said that, as far as they're concerned, there's no warranty claim unless they have a bike sitting in front of them. The guy actually said "Good Luck". Cool! So both my brother and I bought $15,000CAD motorcycles from them but there's no warranty claim from a customer who's in a country 4000km away and doesn't have a dealership closer than 1000km. Crossing the border isn't as much of an issue as it is getting back into the country where my house is. I'm not sure how the US border is going to react to a Canadian crossing into the US and then wanting to go back to Mexico and I'm not sure that I want to find out. Anyway, I told him that after spending that much money I didn't want to hear "good luck" I wanted to hear him say he was in my corner.

In any case I'll keep you guys posted as to how this progresses. I'm going to send an email to KTM North America and hopefully I get some sort of a positive response.

In the mean time I've bought a Leovince pipe which I should have tomorrow to replace that f'ing toaster oven the factory put on the bike. Hopefully that will bring the engine temps down. I didn't want to do any modifications to the bike until the warranty expired but now I'm thinking very strongly that fellow 690/701 owners should do everything in their power to make these bikes run as cool as they can right out of the gate. I'm also thinking I should do the O2 sensor dongle so the bike doesn't run lean down low and maybe I need a different rad temp switch?

I'm interested to hear any opinions or advice on this matter if you guys care to offer any.

Cheers,
  2. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    *Reserved for KTM correspondence*
    Hopefully this forum doesn't put a time limit on post editing....
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Repair or replace your radiator and move on.
  4. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    I understand where your coming from, but i'll reserve a warrantee claim for a catastraiphic failure and will be doing my own repairs.
    Chillis likes this.
  5. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Agreed... but the problem is a catastrophic failure that originated with a faulty rad/overheat and then KTM saying "Sorry, you did your own work which violates the warranty". I'd be happy with a letter from them acknowledging the problem and approving a rad repair without warranty violation.
  6. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    :ilmostro
    2WheelNeal and Bultaco206 like this.
  7. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    KTM warranty isn't particularly generous with covering bikes that are ridden offroad. Whether that's fair or not is immaterial.

The repair should be both invisible and permanent. Catalyst removal won't lower engine or coolant temperature, just muffler temperature. A lower temperature fan thermoswitch would help maintain lower coolant temperature, and a higher pressure radiator cap will help with boil-overs.

Adding fuel with a Vortex ecu or JD Tuner will lower combustion temperatures. That combined with a free flowing catalyst-free exhaust will make your bike run better and stronger from idle to peak rpm's.

It sucks that you've got to have the repair done on your dime, but even if you resided in America you'd probably be SOL
    2WheelNeal, renogeorge and Navin like this.
  8. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not nice thing too happen,hope no damage done and issue gets resolved,no coolant in system bit of a concern that could raise its head in future.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-7-10_9-38-50.jpeg

Please let me know when the gofundme starts.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    You're in Mexico, they are masters at repairing stuff like that without any new parts. There's a Pandemic going on, as you know it's not business as usual anywhere. Got to agree with Navin, fix it or replace the rad and move on. You can stand on your principals and push for a warranty repair which may or may not be successful and will likely take a good bit of time ether way, mean time the bike is sitting there and you aren't riding.
    Cigar, Bultaco206, renogeorge and 2 others like this.
  11. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Ya, I'm starting to feel like that's the appropriate action as well. Good to know the KTM warranty is toilet paper.

I don't know if boiling over was a problem or not but I think the thermo switch will be the next upgrade.

I'm not interested in adding a $500 computer but it sounds like an O2 dongle richens up the bottom end below 20% throttle which is where the issue primarily resides... As I understand it. It's a fix that will require 30ยข worth of resistors.

Hopefully that will smooth out the problems so I'm not dealing with an overheating bike.

I'm not worried about the repair cost. The mexicans will probably do it for less than $5. It's moreso the problem cropping up and the potential engine damage that really pisses me off.

My brother also bought a 790 this year so all in we've spent $50k on KTM and I'm thinking maybe we'll be looking to Beta for our next bikes.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to come back and start another thread when you boil over your Beta.
  13. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Thanks Johnno. I'm also hoping I don't see any of those issues. So far it doesn't look like the rad is overpressuring and I'm not seeing coolant or white shmoo through the oil window so fingers crossed. Like I said, there were no over temp warning lights so maybe miraculously the engine actually stayed within an acceptable temperature range.

Yep, the mexicans will probably do a fine job of fixing it... I'll find out today. I'll hold off on fighting ktm but if engine problems do crop up I'll be fighting them tooth and nail.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    A honda bought in the US has NO warranty outside of the US, maybe the same for your bike but there seem to be KTM dealers ALL over the world.
    the only other thing is, when a problem arises take care of it NO?You can fill your rad and tank but depending upon the cooling system design still have a EMPTY engine, my suzi takes over nite for the complete bleeding of air. this results in , when the thermos stat opens it Drains the rad until it reopens then drains the engine, need to do a complete bleed and fill.
  15. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    I would typically go back to Kanuckistan in the summer but I can't because of Covid so there's an extenuating circumstance.

The bleed/fill instructions in my owners manual say "take off the lid and fill it up". Pretty cut & dry.
  16. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Took the rad to a shop. It's veibe fixed now.

IMG_20200710_120216.jpg
    IMG_20200710_120228.jpg
    IMG_20200710_120303.jpg
    IMG_20200710_120313.jpg
    IMG_20200710_125529.jpg
    Bitingdog and Dao1 like this.
  17. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are in another country, or two countries away, you have a mechanical failure that they can't tell if it is a manufacturer defect or you've been kicking the shit out of your bike and they refuse warranty because they cannot verify what is wrong and whether it is KTM's fault or your fault?

I cannot see how you are in the right, anywhere.

For you to get your bike to CA and have it looked at to see if eligible for warranty plus the wait time for that versus the cost for a radiator or repair far outweigh the waste of your life's time and money just to have them pay for your radiator.

I'm curious how you couldn't smell the coolant? That is plenty from that leak to be an indicator to what's going on.

Guessing the bike has been dropped and that may have stressed the radiator to cause that leak. Since it is right next to one of the supports. The softer part yielded.

Let's get some truth out here. How did you really break it?
    felixblack1, Bitingdog and Bultaco206 like this.
  18. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Aaaannnd, drum roll please.....

The mexicans successfully applied glue. :baldy

IMG_20200710_163927.jpg
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Are you always a prick or are you just on your period?
    MotoChris521, KayDubbya and shinyribs like this.
  20. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    @Navin is one of the most warm and kind people I know. He's also devilishly funny.

I know that your radiator has you bummed out, but funny is funny, and Navin's comment was hilarious
    Fallacy, buzzword and Bultaco206 like this.