Overheating Husq 701 Enduro - KTM warranty... heeeere we go!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Wallybanger, Jul 9, 2020.

1. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like it's fixed, so maybe everyone hugs and then moves on with their life?
    JensEskildsen and Bitingdog like this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I love posting about it. I bought my AT in 2016 and learned that Honda's quality has gone downhill big time since I last bought a new one in the '90s. Worst bike I've ever owned in terms of reliability. In the 2 years I owned it, the tranny shit itself, as did the fuel pump, headlight switch gear and idle control valve. Honda couldn't fix the intermittent stalling issue and finally the dealer bought it back. The build quality was pretty crap too compared to 20 years ago. Corrosion, etc...
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should brought it over to ride in my living room. Nothing evans brakes hear.
    Fallacy, Bitingdog and Bultaco206 like this.
  4. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At around 20k miles I had the water pump fail on my 701e in the middle of a trip. I had slowed down coming into a small town and realized the fan was running. It was quite low on water and since it was late I filled it with water and rode home. Put a piston in it at 50k miles so no engine damage , I wouldn’t worry about yours either.
    I bought 2 pump kits so I would have a spare, the spare is still on the shelf
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Wallybanger

Wallybanger Shraper & Braper

Oddometer:
    I probably won't look into this until I'm passing back through the US. If the rad guys here had welded instead of gluing it probably would have been fine.
    I baby my shit and I'm super anal about doing proper maintenance as it's required so implying that I intentionally abused my bike is irritating beyond explanation.

See above. The radiator is curved from the factory. Personally, I see absolutely no signs of damage of any kind and am shocked that this was even a problem.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  6. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Thanks, this makes me feel a little better. As I said, no overheating lights or engine lights came and the bike isn't running rough or anything so I'm going to get it back together and just keep on keepin' on. I wouldn't be surprised if I have a water pump job in my future though. I just ordered an 85° fan switch so that'll be going in as soon as it gets here. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about fueling. I may need to buck up and buy a power commander though.
    trumpet likes this.
  7. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:

Kind of odd that it leaks on the back side for sure .
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Ive boiled a few bikes over. Not to the point of boiling the clutch fluid, I never thought to consider that babying them.
    Potato/pootaatoe.
    Fallacy, Bultaco206 and Bitingdog like this.
  9. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I hammered the shit out of my Harley offroad but it never boiled over.

10151419_304629236387148_4657296298682760214_n.jpg
  10. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. Perfect pinhole, no other visible damage of any kind.
    I was deep in an arroyo in soft sand. Couldn't get out the way I came in, only option was following it out. I was running down hill in first and second gear trying to use the clutch as little as possible specifically to avoid generating heat. Maybe I was getting clutch slippage after a shift, I don't know. As said before, in this instance I lost 2-300ml of coolant total and had no problems for about another month. I wasn't intentionally bagging on it but I was DEEP in the middle of no where with no cell service so in situations like that I expect my machinery to get me home. When I started getting clutch fade I stopped to let the bike cool and by that point I was pretty much out of the arroyo.

In any case, I'm sick of arguing with you.
  11. JPA

JPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had identical leak on my 2014 690Enduro R. And i know of few similar cases also. No visible damage but pinhole 2" below the radiator cap.
  12. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like they have a supplier problem .
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    It’s obvious that the water-cooling system is the Achilles heel of this bike. I would eliminate it, weld on aluminum cooling fins and run a 60-40 blend of Rotella T6 and Slick 50.

760CC76A-E962-41A2-B873-177610EA284E.jpeg
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Fucking KTM!
    Bitingdog and Bultaco206 like this.
  15. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Good to know it's not just me thrashing on my bike *rolling my eyes*

Yep, I would agree with that assessment. Aluminum is difficult to weld when it's that thin and there are a LOT of joints in a rad. Maybe I was just one of the unlucky ones. That being the case, I would expect more than a "good luck" from the stealership.
  16. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Just just to update everyone.... bike is back together with it's glued radiator. Seems to be running fine, no overheating, no power loss. It still burns oil but whatever I guess. Only issue now is that the fire goes out every now and again. Pretty sporadic but Usually at stop lights. I'm guessing I have a loose connection or maybe water in a connection? I will have to track down that gremlin.
  17. Fallacy

Fallacy FFE inc. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tew
    Bitingdog, Bultaco206 and Navin like this.
  18. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    Just thought I would follow up on this thread.

So the radiator started leaking again. Exact same cross tube but on the left hand side this time. Back of the tube, just like the other one and almost in the exact same place... just inside of the vertical support.

IMG_20210505_181926.jpg

So, ya, I'd say this is definitely a warranty issue and yet KTM refused to offer any warranty service. You might as well wipe your ass with the warranty paperwork because I won't do you any good.

For reference, here is the old, previously repaired leak on the other side. This first weld was done by another welder AFTER ripping out all of the glue from the first, poorly attempted repair.

IMG_20210505_181919.jpg

Flame out problem was fixed with a power commander. Runs like a champ now without all of the KTM exhaust garbage.
  19. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno, isn't a radiator subject to rocks/debris hitting it? Much like fork seals, a rough environment is going to take its toll.

Can't see where this falls under a warranty claim; similar to a cracked headlight, flat tire, or ripped seat. I'm also not sure I would live/ride in Baja without radiator guards as well. Lots of rocks = unhappy radiator, no?

I lost my Slave Cylinder a few times on my SMC-R, less than 1000 miles. Could have dealt with the back and fourth, 1 hour ride, loading the bike BS to a crappy dealer, but just ordered a better aftermarket one for $95. I think that's a common mindset for KTM owners; broken parts just means a reason to upgrade (which we're quite addicted to).

And if you think KTMs support is bad, try BETA USA. I got chewed out by a rep for THEM sending me the wrong shock tool and sidestand!
  20. Wallybanger

Oddometer:
    You missed the part where I said this is the BACK of the radiator. Nothing can hit it on the back side. Furthermore, you think 2 rocks are likely to hit the same cross tube in almost the same location on opposite sides of the rad? Look around on the internet. LOTS of people are having issues with KTM radiators. This is absolutely a warranty issue.

Not only that, my only option is to buy a new KTM radiator, which is $$$$$$. There are exactly ZERO aftermarket options, except for maybe direct from China.... At this point I don't know what would be worse. At least the Chinese ones are half the price.

Anyway, I will never ever buy another new KTM. I probably won't even buy another used KTM. I will be going Japanese when I'm done with this bike.