Overheating KTM 640 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rapiti, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Aussie Jase

Aussie Jase Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I got the coolant recovery tank for the 640adv and was less than excited by the suggested mounting point.
    According to the supplier its best mounted under the plastics behind the seat.
    In my mind this position leaves it open to fly rock and as the tank is open to drain to atmosphere it is relatively close to the same height as the radiator when the bike is level; worse yet my bike tends to get fairly hot on hill climbs which would then put the tank and outlett well below the radiator cap height.
    Not to be put off I have used an alternate mounting location.

Attached Files:

2. Aussie Jase

Oddometer:
    This location has the benefit of being able to monitor what is going on as the clear tubes can be seen from the riding position.
    Thr discharge line utilises the OEM discharge plastic holder on the head frame.
    In my case I choked it off to provide a bit of resistance (reduce discharge flow rate) yet still allow the outside air to pressure equalise when the radiator cools and draws excess coolant back.

Attached Files:

3. Aussie Jase

Oddometer:
    The use of cable ties around the "cockpit shroud" mount points will be temporary - if it works I will get a mount braket folded up to use the same mounting points and tidy this up some more.
    I am using a piece of rubber from an old inner tube to provide some deadening and reduce potential for damage to the tank.
    Cheers AJ