Overheating?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by tonymarchman, Dec 1, 2019.

1. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Vespa runs a bit warmer now. I used to get only three bars, now I'm running 6 or 7, should I be worried?

Attached Files:

2. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    When's the last time you changed your coolant? My 300 runs at half or slightly below the midway mark. I just changed the coolant, it was light pink, the replacement AGIP was dark pink, so it was definitely diluted.

Is there a leak from the weep hole?
  3. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should be concerned. Start with coolant level, then go from there.
  4. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do not use the Vespa coolant. My GT200 came with some stuff in it that looked like Windex. Watery and light blue. The water pump was making a squealing noise when I bought it. I replaced that stuff with Maxima Coolanol, a green ethylene glycol coolant made for motorcycles. No silicates. It had a very slippery feeling, like ethylene glycol does. That stopped the squealing. I did have to replace the water pump about 3000 miles later. I put the same stuff back in. It has a real analog temp gauge, and it runs just below the halfway mark most of the time. A change in operating temperature means a change in something else. Could be low coolant, fan not coming on, defective thermostat, defective sending unit, or defective gauge.
  5. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Midway mark is normal operating temp for mine. I would only worry if it went almost to the top.

31.jpg

29 copy.jpg
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't have concern unless the fan either started kicking on more often than in the past when normal or if it didn't kick on at all. Midway on any coolant temp gauge is "normal", car, truck , scooter, so on. Mine only comes on when slowed down for a stop and little airflow as when underway.
  7. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coolant was replaced 2 years ago. It is not leaking and the level is the same. In below 50 degrees the fan does not come on. In warm weather I had only 3 bars on the temp gauge, now in much cooler weather I am running at 6 or 7 bars. Apparently still out of the danger zone.
    Thanks for all the replies.
  8. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:

Manual states coolant flush every two years. It's time. It's also pretty easy.