Overland Expo East 2018: Naples to Asheville

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by LstMnStndng, Oct 24, 2018.

1. LstMnStndng

LstMnStndng Shot at and missed . . .

Oddometer:
    Heading up to Asheville, NC for the OXE next week and will post the ride prep, trip, and pics from the expo on this thread.

Looking forward to the journey and meeting up with some of the inmates up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    This will be my second trip bring quasi self-sufficient trip on the GS. I did Atlanta to Gros Morne Newfoundland six or seven years ago and had a great time camping most of the way solo.

This trip will be about twelve hours of riding each way. Leaving at zero dark thirty on a Thursday. Friday through Sunday afternoon camping at the expo and doing the class work then home on Monday.

I may stop in Jacksonville and Atlanta to drop in on friends but mostly just putting the miles on on the super slab.

tjzondrz, bobw and Dracula like this.
  3. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

So my garage is completely torn apart picking out my gear, packing, and repacking.

Trying to keep the weight down and avoid looking like the clampetts ain't easy especially knowing that it's likely to be raining and cold (relative to Naples)

95Monster likes this.
  4. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    The bike is a '96 R1100GS with 53k on the clock 20 ish are mine.

Bike has been totally reliable other than the usual ...

Broken clutch cable on the way to key West
    Blown brake lines on the way back from key West (different trip)

Conti's have about 1.5k on them and should have plenty of rubber for the 1.5k round trip. I'll probably be due when I get home.

Picked up a new alternator belt at AutoZone that hopefully fits. I'll get it hooked up after work tomorrow with any luck. I'll throw the old one in the top box for a spare if it looks serviceable after it's nine years on the bike.

[​IMG]

5. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Did the same route back in 2012 when I moved out of Naples. My advice is dont slab it. I went all back roads except for 75 N from exit 101 ( i came outta Marco) up to Palm Beach Blvd stopped at the Alva Diner for breakfast the up 27 to 29 past Orlando up 19 thru the Ocala Forest (great) popped out south of Jax and slabbed it to Jessup, knowing what I know now I'd have continued on to Statesboro (more facilities and nicer) I back roaded it from there past Augusta up to the Blue Ridge parkway with some really great roads and made it to Asheville the next afternoon.
    bobw and Erod like this.
  6. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. How long would you say total trip time was? I can probably swing up to fourteen hours. Much beyond that I'll be missing another day of work or missing the gate at the expo.

7. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Took my three oldest out to the Collier-Seminole campground for a gear test and to get the excitement pump primed.

Tried out a jet boil stove and mountain House freeze dried food I picked up for the journey and could not have been better. The water boiled in what seemed like seconds and the chili Mac was good!

Mosquitos were out but the weather was finally cool enough to be tolerable.

[​IMG]

bobw likes this.
  8. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Put the new alternator belt on after some serious head scratching.

No tensioner but instead the two nuts and one bolt holding the alternator are all loosened so it pivots down enough to slip the belt off and on.

An oil scavenge line had to be removed to get the belt loose but not a big deal.

The reinstall involved torquing one nut while turning another. I just pried the alternator up until the belt was snug and tightened it all down with my calibrated elbow.

The old belt looked fine but it was ten years old. I'll keep it for a spare in the top box.

Finished up all the nuts with torque stripe including the rear wheel just for good measure.

A while back running through Stamford CT I got a wobble out of the rear wheel and pulled over on 95 to check it out. Three bolts were finger tight and a fourth was fifty yards behind me in the road. Scary shit.

9. fldigger

fldigger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What happened to the beard?
  10. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Gas mask didn't fit right.

11. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    All packed up! Put together a tool roll with metric wrenches and torx bits. Loaded up with the new bungee cords.

[​IMG]

tjzondrz and bobw like this.
  12. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Love the looks of the 11XX BMWs, the new ones offer amazing tech, but fall far short in the lovely lines department. Can you leave some of that load behind? The back roads may be a bit more fun without and there are plenty of places in the area if you needed help. Great shops and a strong BMW rider network/clubs or you could ups a package of needed bits from FL for little cost and next day service.

Anyway, have a great ride and enjoy the Expo, once again I will be gone so I look forward to reading your report.

CHeers
  13. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Sorry about not getting back to you from Naples to Jessup was probably right around 12 hours the next day I was in Asheville around 4ish
  14. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Yeah I probably could offload some but I think I'm gonna go as is. The backpack is my camping and cold weather gear so pretty light.

I'm bringing a camp stove and food which could be left out and just bring cash but I want to try and be self contained to see what works.

Thanks for the thoughts and good wishes.

bobw likes this.
  15. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    tjzondrz likes this.
  16. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Blew a tire an hour away from home. Plugged it with my aerostitch kit and will keep going.

Gonna keep it slow and stop in a exits to check pressure.

[​IMG]

bobw likes this.
  17. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Made it to Jacksonville around eleven. Probably fine to cough up for a gps map update! Did a few loops and circular references getting off of 75.

A buddy from my GE days put me up for the night. I left him with a few habanos and tried to leave things the way I found them to minimize pudding off his wife!

Back tire was about ten psi low so I borrowed their bike pump. Looking for a place in the road to replace the four co2 cartridges I used on the puncture yesterday.

I'm currently North of Savannah. Saw a Dick's spring goods sign. I usually don't shop there but something about strange bedfellows.

bobw likes this.
  18. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    I've got about for hours of slab time today in front of me. I picked up a Sena 20s and have an audio book on my phone over blue tooth.

I've got eat plugs in to cut down on the road fatigue which is good but the ear phones don't get quite loud enough. I can make it out but not great. Still, helps keep the sanity.

[​IMG]

19. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Made it to Hendersonville. Stopped to get some hot food and put my train gear on. Nice slow drizzle coming down and its all outdoor all the time for the next four days.

bobw likes this.
  20. LstMnStndng

Oddometer:
    Made it in and met up with some good guys.

[​IMG]

tjzondrz likes this.