Overnight Hammock Camping Trip in Western North Carolina - Video

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Eigerhiker, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Eigerhiker

Eigerhiker "This is an Adventure"

Oddometer:
    I recently moved to Western North Carolina and was excited to get out on a mild December day. I decided to ride out to the Pisgah National Forest and give hammock camping another shot.

2. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!, The only thing I thing of in Cold weather with that setup is the air moving underneath has got to make it a little Chillier. I'm In Greensboro , not real far away I ride an FJR 1300 but just picked up a DR 650 to ride with my sons as they have them also, I look forward to hitting locations like this.!
  3. MoogLover

MoogLover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the problem you are having?
    Newventure likes this.
  4. Eigerhiker

Oddometer:
    Definately. I have a top quilt and an under quilt, just didn’t show them because it was getting dark. I was warm, just couldn’t get comfortable in the hammock.
  5. Eigerhiker

Oddometer:
    Pressure under my knee and being mostly a side sleeping. I love to lounge in the hammock but sleeping overnight is too uncomfortable.
  6. MoogLover

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I too am a side sleeper, I have found, at least in the few times I have done it, the comfortability of hammocks is somewhat dependant on the manufacturer.
    What hammocks are you using?
  7. Eigerhiker

Oddometer:
    Dutchware Gear 11 foot / wide model. I’m 6’2” figured that would be big enough, I wen’t to a hammock gathering and one guy mentioned I should try a 12 footer.
  8. MoogLover

Oddometer:
    I'm no aficionado but I remember the sag had a lot to do with how well I slept in them. My instinct was to make it really taught but I was quickly schooled by a friend who mentioned this causes pressure points and was a bad idea. There is a "secret sauce" to getting the perfect hang. You might want to search this in some hammock forums. Again I'm no expert, but I have had success, with a bit of help.
  9. Dennyf

Dennyf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Different strokes, I guess. I think it's much more comfy than lying on a thin pad on the ground. "Diagonal lay" helps with the hyperextension of the knee. I would use a tent in colder weather, though.

20181004_072719.jpg
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  10. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN crown bearing @ 60k, clutch @ 69k,HyperPros @ 70k Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s wise to setup/tryout hammock in backyard first.
    Tiger993 likes this.
  11. Eigerhiker

Oddometer:
    I’ve been toying with the hammock for a couple years now. I’ve had a couple of good night sleeps along the way but generally find it restrictive and getting the angle just right is not always possible depending and tree distance and strap adjustments.

Here’s one of my earlier hammock videos when I had a 10 foot hammock, I switched to an 11 footer which helped but not completely.