OWB holster advice needed

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Casey851, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Casey851

Casey851 Bluegrass Wanderer

Oddometer:
    After mashing the search button repeatedly, I admitted defeat and decided to make a post.

I'm looking for a OWB holster, specifically for either my SIG P365 or my Springfield. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    I've looked at both belt and paddle options and would like pros/cons of each if possible.

Thanks very much in advance for your advice,

Casey
  2. urbancowboy

urbancowboy Vicious Cycler

Oddometer:
    Maybe not the absolute best ever, but I recommend bravo concealment kydex. Many of the smaller kydex companies charge more and often have long wait times. Bravo usually has stuff in stock and not too expensive.
    I've seen paddle holsters come out with the pistol when drawn.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Probably better to get this kind of advice on a gun forum. That said, at least get kydex. Paddles are very stable.
  4. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carry owb. For the G19 I am very happy with the Comptac paddle. https://comp-tac.com/paddle-holster-owb-concealed-carry-competition-comp-tac/

I like that it is easy to remove - I can discreetly pull it off before I go in to a "gun free zone" such as my kids' school. I have never had it come off without my intending to take it off - it has "ears" that hook under the belt. It also sits closer to my body than most paddle holsters, which is good for concealed carry, though some might argue it makes presentation a tiny bit slower/ harder.

My Sig p365 I carry in a Clinger OWB https://clingerholsters.com/product/sig-p365-owb-holster/

I carry the 365 when I want lighter weight and better concealment. This holster pulls very snug to the body, it is one of the most discreet owb holsters I have found. I did make a couple of mods to it. The rear loop I changed to their iwb clip mounted for owb. This just makes it easier for donning and doffing. The front loop tended to dig into my side, so I heated it and reformed it for my comfort. Post mods, I love this holster. It does not come off easily, though, compared to the paddle.
  5. Motor31

Motor31 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After almost 2 decades of belt holsters I use a paddle now for my own comfort. I was unsure at first when I took one to a 2 day "front sight" class but the holster did fine. No shifting sagging or fumble. It was a rather inexpensive kydex holster and I have long forgotten the manufacturer but most of the bigger holster providers have similar products. I still have it more than 10 years later.
    Chillis likes this.
  6. urbancowboy

urbancowboy Vicious Cycler

Oddometer:
    i know that a lot of people use them and like them. i teach firearms classes wherein i create stressful situations. i have had a few students insist on using the holsters, and i've seen them come out with the gun. i no longer allow paddle or serpa holsters in my courses.
    the other big issue is weapons retention - if you are fighting over your holstered gun, those holsters are inherently weaker.

to each their own.
  7. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    I use a We The People IWB holster for concealed carry Sig P365. It works well and can be difficult to remove so stays in place well.

https://wethepeopleholsters.com/
  8. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's looking for OWB only.

I've got nothing.

Have tried many holsters and none of them really do it all, IMO.

Rarely carry OWB because I've found it isn't as comfortable.
  9. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! You find IWB more comfy, or are you carrying appendix or other? I switched to owb because it was more comfortable for me. IWB throws my back slightly out of alignment, I guess from the uneven pressure of the belt with a pistol on one side. I have trouble going a full day iwb, where owb is no problem.
    Chillis likes this.
  10. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just like with all other things, I don't think one can (or at least should) generalize for all types. I have some paddle holsters I could see coming out unexpectedly (fobus), but better designed paddles shouldn't have this problem. But, as you said, to each his own, and there are always compromises and trade offs.
    Chillis likes this.
  11. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When it is colder weather I carry the FN 5.7 in a cheap fabric Uncle Mike's, I think.

Most of the time it is a Kimber K6S in a leather, IWB that this local guy makes and sells at gun shows. Rick's Leather or Rick's Holsters. Barely can tell it is there.
  12. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I like Galco Combat Master and Bianchi Black Widow holsters. They are incredibility comfortable, stable and put the grip right where I expect it. I've worn, for years carrying daily, both semi-auto and revolver versions of these holsters and have always appreciated how well they are made.

They are not unlike Big Red gum. If you don't wear a Galco Combat Master or Bianchi Black Widow, then...well, you know.
  13. MChappy

MChappy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I prefer a leather holster, could have something to do with I make leather holsters. For a large frame I would suggest a pancake holster and for a small frame you can go with a pancake or an Avenger style holster. One of the main things I would suggest is to have a good heavy belt. LCP2.jpg IMG_20200405_144634757.jpg
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  14. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You didn't state whether you were looking for concealment or something to wear while hiking/riding/doing yardwork, but the Safariland 6378 is a decent choice...unless you're looking for a concealment rig.

https://www.safariland.com/products...alment-paddle-holster-w--belt-loop-23341.html

The ALS retention is slick, easy to use, and works very, very well. Their paddles are fairly aggressive and can be difficult to remove, which also helps with weapon retention.
  15. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    Pros: belt holster stays on your hip

Cons: paddle holster may be drawn with your gun

Stasher1 likes this.
  16. Stasher1

Oddometer:

Note that the commentator specifically mentions the Safariland ALS system. The 6378 I mentioned above comes with both the paddle and belt loop attachments. Again, not the best choice for concealment, but hard to beat for open carry.
  17. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does this only work if you are a white guy watering your lawn when two black guys stop in? Or is that just the fantasy they sell to their customers?
  18. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like my Galco leather shoulder, IWB, OWB holsters. The leather is comfortable, conforms to the weapon and the quality/durability is high.
    acesandeights likes this.
  19. Stasher1

Oddometer:

Depends where you live, really. In this area (just east of Atlanta), our law enforcement is very supportive of the citizens protecting themselves...especially on their own property. It's part of what makes Georgia one of the most gun-friendly states in the country.
  20. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    The adults were conversing about methods of securing a handgun in a holster. Take your virtue signalling over to the kid's table.
    Mumbles24 likes this.