1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Owners Chat (with pics!): Honda NC700X

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by swiss-happy, Aug 9, 2012.

1. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can see that I will want to do a lot of the upgrades that beemerphile is doing.(When time/money permits)
    I think a Russell Day Long seat will be money well spent.
    I too am disappointed with Honda having to cut the plastic for their luggage.
    I may go with the Givi E41 Keyless instead of the V35, because the E45 has more room but is also thinner.
    Also I like the idea of being able to open the case without a key.(I could keep a spare set of keys locked up in case I lost the primary set.)
    I wonder if the length and height will be too much for the NC?
    I'm still waiting for the Honda Shop manual, the dealers can't seem to get anything around here.
  2. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have located an NC700X specific forum and plan to do my future 700x postings exclusively over there. It's a pain to try to follow the action in two places. I will still frequent ADV for the rest of the banter.
  3. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Provide a link if you don't mind. :lurk
  4. beemerphile

Oddometer:
  5. rowdymoose

rowdymoose Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer:
    Ha wish I had known that...when I drove to the dealer the light was on, and when I pulled up I put the kickstand down and it started flashing...made me think it was a loose connection :rolleyes:

Funny thing is that now it's not coming on anymore. But now I know what to do. So thanks.
  6. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep.

Where else can you get the everything you wanted to know about the NC story? :deal
    There's at least four threads started on here, maybe one day they'll be compiled or earn it's own category. :dunno
    frog13 likes this.
  7. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    I started an ADV group on the forum so we can ID ourselves. Join please if you go there.
  8. ArmyMedic

ArmyMedic Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer:
    Air Hawk seat cushion is your friend.
  9. Loomis

Loomis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So my first time riding two up ever this weekend, I noticed my head bobbing back and forth once I hit freeway speeds. What's up with that. Just the aero from the second rider I suppose?

It never happens when I'm solo. 3.5 hours hitting about 50% freeway and 50% mountain roads. 2 people, no problem. Handled great. Mileage great.

Def doesn't like being under 2k rpm with a load though. Haha.
  10. 670cc

670cc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the Progressive insurance VIN snafu. They kept switching a digit on my NC700X VIN and calling it a VTX 750 or something. I got a manager type to investigate. He says they get their VIN lists from Carfax or somewhere, and an updated list should be out at the end of August. Meanwhile they made me a manually generated insurance card with the correct VIN on it.

Greg
  11. 670cc

670cc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you might be so kind as to save me some trouble, could you post the RAM part number for that ball mount you have there? Thanks

Greg
  12. rowdymoose

Oddometer:
    Finally got the light to come back on today during my morning commute. Pulled over, put in neutral, put kickstand down, and the CEL/MIL started flashing. It looked to do 1 long pulse followed by one short pulse, then off for a bit, then repeated one long pulse followed by one short pulse--guessing that constitutes an 11? Again--same symptoms...about 3-5 miles into my commute, and as soon as the key is turned off, the light clears itself.
  13. 670cc

670cc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I pay under $300/yr total at Progressive for six motorcycles, including a GL1800 and the NC700X. You can reduce costs by eliminating collision. Simply don't crash your bike. Of course, if the bike is collateral on a loan, removing collision is probably not an option.
  14. rowdymoose

Oddometer:
    Do you mean you started a thread called ADV? Not sure I understand what you mean by a "group" on a forum. I just signed up, same user name.
  15. 670cc

670cc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is an awesome review of the Givi windscreen. My whole goal is quiet air, so that's just the feedback I needed.

I'm thinking of buying a piece of plastic, warming it in the oven and bending it, then making a mini summer screen that is smaller than stock. A screen that simply protects the instrument panel.

Clean air seems to come from having almost no windscreen, or having a tall enough one you can look through. Anything in between means noise. I noticed on a test ride of the ST1300 with electric windscreen, that the noise wasn't gone until the windscreen went above your eyes.

Thanks for the review.

Greg
  16. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    I think it is a B-231. I bought it several years ago for another bike. It is a handlebar mount it just so happens the holes are just about the same distance apart as the riser bolt holes. I had to open the holes up a bit with a 5/16" drill bit and file flat the mount where the bolt heads contact the mount. I was going to use it clamped around the bar at first. That fits with no modification but I did not want to scratch the anodized bar.
  17. Maytag Repairman

Maytag Repairman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A "group" is just a collection of members that can do things that only other members of the group can see such as having their own threads and photos. I doubt much will happen in the group other than sharing what your identity is at each web site.

Go over there and log in. In the upper right row click on "My Profile". About half way or so down the left column is a link to "Join Groups" I think "ADV" is the only one available right now.
  18. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1

Any kind of taller screen then the stock will make more noise, no doubt
    about that, since none are tall enough to make you look through it.

I've had a lot of issues with the windscreen on my kawasaki, tried a couple,
    same with my scoots. Ended up with a huge one.

Long story short - I want a completely naked bike for some time now.
  19. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    the DTC 11 means:

VS sensor no signal. Loose or poor contact of the VS sensor connector.Open or short in the VS sensor wire. Faulty VS sensor. Engine should operate normally.

The VS Sensor is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Check the wiring first. If the wiring is ok, check the VS sensor. If the VS Sensor is ok, the problem is the combination meter system (dash display panel). It looks like a magnetic reed switch that reads one of the transmission gears. There is a one bolt connection to the sensor. It is on the right hand side top of the transmission. It would take more disassembly than you probably want to do just to see it.
  20. rowdymoose

Oddometer:
    That would make perfect sense, because every time it comes on, my speedo goes blank. Looks like it's going into the shop. :cry