Owners of Hilleberg and Exped, what say you.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NorthIdaho800gsa, Nov 5, 2019.

1. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I'm in need of a new tent. Thinking exped or Hilleberg. Always had freestanding backpacking tents. My big tents aren't freestanding. My question is 2 part. 1: are they worth the money. Do you feel like your getting 3 or 4 times the tent vs other expedition tents. 2: if your model isn't freestanding, have you ever felt that was a hindrance?
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  2. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Good question subbed
  3. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Stakia. Have owned it for about five years. Greatest tent I have ever owned. No leaks, no condensation, love the ability to take the inner tent down and pack it separately in wet weather. I have used this tent snowshoe camping in the Sangre de Christos and kayak traveling in the southeastern US.
    RJAMT, stoney4vida and Gedrog like this.
  4. stefaan

stefaan Forgot to plan

Oddometer:
    they're not that much more expensive compared to exped, fjallraven or MSR tents.

We bought the nallo 3 GT. With discount we paid 750 euro's new.

Our runner up was an MSR Hubba Tour and the marmot limelight. We went to a tentshow by a local outdoor shop, and walked around all the different tents from different brands while talking to a guy who spend 2 hours talking us trough all the tents. He showed us the problems and strengths of each tent. He showed us that the MSR hubba tour has the wrong combination of fabric/sealing technology, resulting in the tent destroying itself.

The Hubba tour was 650 euro for a 2 man, and 700-something for a 3 man which didn't exist yet at the time. The marmot was a nice tent but we'd miss the vestibule we have now, and really the freestanding thing is not an issue (wind permitting) we can set up the nallo with 2 guylines and a rope.

It's a heavy tent (3.5kg), but it's a durable tent. Using the tent in iceland meant it had cost us about 10 euro per night, which compared to hotels...paid for itself.

When you think about a tent being a room in which you are protected from weather and other things, is a 1500 euro tent really that expensive after you have camped in it for say 60 nights?

I guess to answer your question I'd say that a hilleberg is just as wet as any other tent when you pack it wet, and you'll still need to dry it. As long as you take care of your tent I don't see why you should buy a hilleberg unless you want to. Most of us don't meet the extremes these tents are marketed as designed for. I bought it because it was closest to what I want from a tent, and we'll be living in it while we travel the next 2 or more years, so we chose a heavier, robuster tent.
  5. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I camp alot and in all kinds of weather. From snow to warm weather. It doesn't really get hot here. I like the fly pitch idea of Hilleberg and exped. We are going to Alaska this summer to look at houses. Honestly, I've never not moved once I've made up my mind to do so. So I want a tent with a large vestibule for the inevitable rain days. I don't really mind the outright cost. I have tents that cost way more. Im more worried about value, what I'm getting for my money. Do you feel you got your money's worth, vs other options. Honestly, I'm worried about not freestanding. It's so easy now with my little mountaineering tent, to set it up anywhere and fast. Im willing to give some of that up if the other tent is worth it. My current goto tent is single wall. so it pitches fast and I don't have to worry about rain while I pitch. Im wanting an option of less condensation and more ventilation than it offers. Mine is a 4 season tent, but it is kinda rough when it gets warmer. It is just small, light and easy to pitch, so I deal with it. I want more room though.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am on my second Exped ( I went a bit smaller ) and have no complaints whatsoever about their quality. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand IMHO.
    The reason I haven't bought a Hilleberg is because they are a bit overpriced for the features they have vs Exped. Again if you don't care about the extra $$, Hilleberg makes an excellent tent and choice.
  7. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I'm really leaning towards a mars 2 extreme. It ticks most boxes. It is freestanding, good venting and I like the steep walls. The only thing really holding me back from buying one is I really want a large vestibule. something on rainy days I can have room to do things and also put moto crap when I'm out and about fishing. beyond that, looks like a good choice. That is why i was leaning toward a gt tent from Hilleberg, the big vestibule. Also to be able to get in/out without getting my interior soaked. Although, the mars does a fair job of covering the door.

3b6d9821-27f5-4782-87c3-9d2307865a8a.jpg
  8. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Satisfied Hilleberg Staika owner here. I've had tents that were cheaper or lighter but the Staika really is something despite being neither. It is totally freestanding, including the vestibules, while a lot of other "freestanding" tents require stakes for them. The footprint covers both vestibules but can be pulled back for cooking or particularly nasty gear. It's also extremely stable and if you decide to fully stake it out it would take a direct tornado hit to move it. Probably my favorite feature is that it all goes up and comes down together. The footprint, tent & rainfly are all attached. That means setting up camp in the pouring rain still gives me a dry tent!
    MTBRALPH and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  9. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Gotta say, that is pretty cool. I didn't know the footprint went with it. Kinda neat. I have also been eyeing out the exped orion 3 extreme. A new tent is such a big investment. I don't mean money either. This is where you spend time. So comfort, ease of setup, durability and such outweigh money when I'm stuck for days inside do to a shitty storm. So, I'm really on the fence. I've had my current tent for more than 10 years.
  10. RJAMT

Oddometer:
    The footprint is purchased separately but attaches to the tent just like the rainfly does so it all packs up together. Just unfold it, insert the 3 poles into the pockets on the outside of the rainfly and clip the fly to the poles. Since the tent is attached to the fly and the footprint is attached to the tent it all goes up, comes down and packs up as a unit.

Have you seen the Hilleberg web page for it? Cool picture of a Staika pitched on a tiny rock island with kayaks pulled up around it. They say it was developed for folks like kayakers and climbers who often don't have a good place where they can drive stakes into the ground. If you decide to buy you should know that the colors in the pictures are not accurate. While the red is actually red, my sand color looks pretty olive green and my friends green looks almost black.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  11. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I did goto the web page and check it out. Pretty nice tent. I didn't know you could attach the footprint. So cool.
  12. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Nice find. I wonder how they make it so light? Which leads to the question of durability in the long run. Is it a 3 year tent or a 10 year tent? I also wonder how the carbon fiber poles will hold up long term in the cold?
  14. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Their Storm Star is a 4 season with similar features. It may be more durable being heavier material-wise. They are highly regarded in the hunt world. Cheers
  15. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    Back when I was married and camped with my 130lb dog, I had a Hilleberg Keron 4 GT. Not freestanding, but I pitched it in some driving storms, and it was amazing to be able to pitch it and keep the interior completely dry. It always felt bombproof, and I never had an issue, leak or worry after many nights spent in it. Now that I'm camping solo as it were, I sold the Keron and picked up an Exped Mira III HL. They're very different tents. The Hilleberg with the footprint was over 10lbs, the Exped is a little over 3lbs. The Exped is also a conventional pitch, so it takes a little more thought to get it set up quickly while keeping the interior dry in bad weather. It's also so lightweight that I do feel like I need to treat it extra gently, and while I haven't had any issues with leaks, the materials aren't on the same level as Hilleberg's Black label tents. Then again, it also cost about 1/3 the price of the Hilleberg.

I recently added the Exped Outer Space vestibule to the loadout, so I can get some of that sheltered room back that I loved about the Keron. Looking forward to getting out there and trying it.
  16. RJAMT

Oddometer:
    The Keron 4GT is the same tent Lisa & Simon Thomas have been using for years on their multi-year bike trip. You can read what they think of it here.
  17. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've read their accounts. Quite the adventure! I do miss having that tent, but with a pivot towards more backpacking and hiking, I needed something much lighter.
  18. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am considering a Hilleberg Nallo 4GT for my wife and I two up on our 990. How large is the packed size on this tent? We will be riding two up, so space is at a premium.

The GT model tents are rather long - has anyone really ran into issues finding good spots to set up? We primarily boondock camp, so not in campgrounds.
  19. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    The web site specs usually give packed size.
    As far as size comparison goes, I look alot at YouTube.
  20. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, however the packed sizes are typically based on the stuff sack they provide. I have found I can typically compress a tent dramatically smaller by using a compression sack. Having said that, I cant find a packed size shown on the Hilleberg web site. I think I have worn out YouTube watching tent videos. In fact, I have one playing right now. Hoping for some real world insight from a owner of one on that as well as experiences in set up.