Owners of new 2019 BMW R1250 GS / GSA - What is your current mileage and your impression so far?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Yev, Jun 19, 2019.

1. JerryJakarta

JerryJakarta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you should go with it.. if seat height is your concern you should consider 1250 GS and set low position seat height. it should be fine for you. cheers
    trrrich likes this.
  2. JerryJakarta

JerryJakarta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine already run for 7000+ km.. run great, no excess vibrate, have some minor issue but still running hard. i already have "spring strut failure.. ride safely", already been "engine, visit your dealer" as for the last one is the error shown coz the butterfly flap on exhaust get seizing. but overall great bike..
  3. trrrich

trrrich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After taking a test ride on a used 19 GS with 6k miles, I found it has had a few issues from the previous owner.
    Lost Back brakes- rotor replacement
    Backfiring issue- engine repair
    Update to TFT
    Replaced shifter
    Replaced back tire.
    Left side of engine seems much hotter than the right side during riding.
    Wired to back wheel has the jacket melted exposing wiring.
    Should I be concerned that this may be a lemon?
  4. Doug Pirahna

Doug Pirahna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just returned home to IL from a 9500 mile trip to Alaska, 12,500 on the bike now. I'm very very happy with the bike. I'd added SW Motech Evo adjustable pegs, like them. The bike came with the comfort seat, I'm pleased with it, did a 702 mile day and a couple around 600 and was fine. Similar gas mileage to what others report, speeds over 75 mph and or headwinds are a huge detriment to mileage, I had a few tanks around 35 mpg. Love the 1250 motor. I have the vario cases and really like them, it baffles me when people say that side loading cases are a hassle. I have inner bags and they couldn't be easier to get in and out of the cases. I also like the ease with which you can remove the cases and you're not stuck with racks on the bike. Then again, I often ride without the cases, so that appeals to me maybe more than others.

My one issue with the bike is a flaky oil level sensor, it started intermittently telling me the oil level was low when I could obviously see it wasn't. When I get the bike serviced next I'll have the shop address it. I think I am going to put some Rox risers on it, long days on straight roads had my shoulders aching. I think a little less reach to the bars for my 5'10" frame will help. I came from a '16 R1200RS and several Multistradas for a traveling bike.
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously? Sounds like a piece of crap. I would not buy it if all that were true without a very substantial discount. And I can do my own work.
    18415, McBike, mb289 and 1 other person like this.
  6. trrrich

trrrich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The scratches don't bother me, it's the stuff I can't see that worries me. Overheated brakes, abnormal heat from left side, backfiring issue, bike wouldn't start in gear, etc. I'm thinking it a lemon with only 6k miles on it. I think I'll look at the new Triumph Tiger 1200 again.
  7. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode a new Triumph Tiger 1200 a year or two ago and it felt like I was in my truck with the heater on high . If not for that I would seriously consider it. I've had my Tiger 800 for four years now with not one problem . Knock on wood !
    Boxerbreath and trrrich like this.
  8. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pass. Too many known problems. How many unknown?
    Sounds like the PO bought it for a once and done adventure.
    Gadgetech and trrrich like this.
  9. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love it! Just got back from a long ride. Cleaned and waxed, ready for the next ride. I sit back and look at it and admire it. That’s how I know it’s the right bike for me.
    Gadgetech, ckindt and trrrich like this.
  10. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the Vario cases myself and I prefer to not have any side cases on unless I’m taking a long trip.

Re: the oil level sensor. I had that error message once on the 1250 GSA I wrecked and never had it again but then again the sensor didn’t work either. I haven’t gotten the error on my 1250 GS but the sensor works at least sometimes. Doesn’t seem to be reliable even when meeting the conditions.

Re: Risers. I am 5’10” with a 32” inseam and risers made a big difference for me with all day comfort. They got rid of aching shoulders the next day. I went with sw-motech barracks but I’m sure whatever you chose will be an improvement.
    side-burn likes this.
  11. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Replace them with road tyres - makes a big difference...
  12. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Run away!
    trrrich likes this.
  13. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    I have owned two WC GS' and ridden 3 others all over Eu and the UK, so I know them well.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan a test ride this week. Not in the market, but I am curious re the new engine.
  14. Russ

Russ Let's ride.

Oddometer:
    You will be in the market after a test drive, the new motor is a treat you wont feel the shift cam working, you will experience pure linear power delivery.
    karter18 and scottdc like this.
  15. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looking forward to it.
  16. Doug Pirahna

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input Gadgetech. My sensor went from only giving a reading intermittently, to a warning that takes over the TFT saying the oil level is low. It would generally clear itself at the next start up.

We're the same size, also a 32" inseam. I'll take a look at the SW Motech risers as well.
    Gadgetech likes this.
  17. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Proudly distributed by Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Those were some big mileage days--Nice to hear the Evo Adjustable Pegs worked out for you. What position did you wind up with them in? I personally just picked up a new 1250GS, so I'm checking in to see what everyone else is doing with their bikes...:-)

As someone mentioned above, the BMW R1250GS Bar Back Handlebar Risers are great. I have had adjustable ones on my other GSs in the past, and have spent some time having to realign everything after a hard hit. If you don't need a lot of constant adjustability, the bar back risers are solid--I'm putting these on my bike as well.

I've seen a few other people complain about the oil level sensor on this bike--you're not alone....

Okay, that's enough from me. I think I need to go out and ride my new bike!

The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
  18. Doug Pirahna

Oddometer:
    I’ve got my pegs lower and slightly further back. I wanted a little more leg room and my feet are fairly large. I like that the pegs are so much larger than the stock pegs as well. I’ll mention I also have a SW Motech City tank bag on it too, very happy with it.
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  19. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI mine gave a low oil warning when riding south out of Fairbanks, AK. That was at about 4000 miles from the last oil change. I was carrying an extra liter of oil so I stopped and looked in the sight glass. It *was* low...so I added about a quarter of the bottle to bring the level back up to just above half on the sight glass. It was fine the rest of the trip home.

I've also seen some on ADV say to not trust the TPMS and the tire pressure readings on the TFT. But I have also found them to be accurate - verified by a digital gauge multiple times on two different bikes. I generally trust what the bike's gauges are telling me (although the speedo is about 3 mph off at 60 mph indicated).

What's more frustrating is that the TFT often gives a '--' instead of OK for the Oil level. Anyone figure out the trick to consistently get a reading? I'm pretty sure it has to be up to full operating temp, which requires idling for a bit after riding. Once the fan kicks on you know the temp is high enough. It won't get there when cruising along.
  20. huck629

huck629 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can get a reading consistently if I do the following;

Stop in a level spot in a parking lot
    Put it in neutral
    Keep the kickstand up and my hand and foot off the brakes and off the clutch
    Wait until I hear the fan kick on
    Once the fan stops...
    A full 60 seconds later the oil level will change from a dash to "ok"