Owning a bike in Mexico City?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by alemeno214, Jul 14, 2019.

1. alemeno214

alemeno214 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might have an opportunity to live in Mexico City for several months or more, and I was curious how it is owning a bike there? What are some good rides in the area? If I end up going, I'm hoping to ride my bike down from the States to keep with me during my stay.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will need a temporary import permit when you ride it across the border, they will give you 6 months and then it needs to be taken out of Mexico. Depending on the age of the bike there will be a deposit newer bikes are $400.00. If you go passed the 6 months you loose the deposit and the bike will be illegal. Your Mexican insurance is not valid with out a valid permit.

The second question about good rides is like asking are there any good rides around Seattle.:lol3
    Motorius likes this.
  3. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quote: The second question about good rides is like asking are there any good rides around Seattle.

I respectfully disagree. There are way more good rides around Mexico City than there are around Seattle.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    haha point taken in total agreement!
  5. BarrieCTaylor

BarrieCTaylor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and buy good lock.
  6. alemeno214

alemeno214 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah totally agree, the riding around Seattle is fairly disappointing. What are some favourites around CDMX? How is parking for bikes around the city? Are there issues with theft?
  7. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Which bike are you taking?

Plenty of great 1-2 day loops from CDMX

Reach out to @garrydymond. He likes to show riders around down there

I’m down there quite often myself
  8. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Was just there about a month ago, in condesa, just left my bike in the free Moto only spots with the other nice bikes and scooters for 6 days, no problems...

Oh and there are lots of good ride's all around CDMX...
    Like the whole rest of the country....
    SkizzMan likes this.
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do, don't ride down to Tres Marias on a weekend, both car and wannabe racer traffic is too annoying (and often dangerous).

Where in CDMX will you be living? Remember, it's a very large metro area, even on a bike and lane splitting like a Mexican, it takes a while to get across the city. I like to find some small town (look up pueblos magicos, those are usually good destinations) as the day's destination, link to it with some squiggly lines on the map and Roberto is your uncle.

A few examples - From La Marquesa south to Malinalco is a good ride. You could go through Lagunas de Zampoala too, but that loop takes you through Tres Marias... May be OK if you leave early. 134 from Naucalpan to Santa Maria Zolotepec. 5 to Villa del Carbon, etc etc.

Gustavo
    going south and SkizzMan like this.
  10. garrydymond

garrydymond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Contact me if you make it here.
    Check into your visa situation and getting a TVIP as it is only for tourists.
    There are lots of good roads to ride.
    SkizzMan likes this.