Owwwwwieeeeee!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Steverino, May 11, 2002.

1. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    OK so on the grand scale it was not really an adventure or ride that merits a great deal of discussion, I ain't cute like Denisewa, I haven't travelled the outback or ridden across the Philipines, but it was memorable in one regard. That being I have cracked up the new 650 Dakar with less than 600 miles on it. Have not even been in for the first service and I have broken the clutch lever and cracked to hell the left side body panel.

It happened on one of my fovorite old mountain bike trails. Its's called Long Run Road. Basically it is an ATV/4wd trail in the National Forest that runs for about 5 miles through and along a creek. It has numerous rocky, I say again rocky, creek crossings and several sections where the trial and the creek are one. I usually ride this downhill on the mountain bike, but I decided to go uphill on the Dakar, love that option. I start in and ride several miles crossing creeks, mudholes and other obstacles. I get to one section that I know is a tricky crossing from my past experiences and stop to survey it. Looks doable, avoid the big rocks at the upstram side and stay low and loose and the right amount of power and it will be fine. Key phrases here: ROCKY, RIGHT AMOUNT OF POWER AND AVOID THE BIG ROCKS.

I start in ad get bounced by the ROCKY terrain, heading for the BIG ROCKS TO AVOID so I apply power, now I said the RIGHT AMOUNT OF POWER was key, unfortunately being new on the 650, the right amount of power is a foreign concept to me. I apologize to my international brethren just figure of sppech. I bounce off the big rocks, the bike launched due to to much power and hurls itself and me onto a bigger rock in the creek bed. I hear the awful crack, but have no pain and the bike is laying on its left side still running half underwater. I turn it off, pick it up and struggle back out of the creek.

There I survey the damage. You can see it below.

(TO BE CONTINUED OFF TO BREAKFAST AND A RIDE WITH FREAK< PHILSPACE to meet HANK IN MONTEREY!)

Attached Files:

2. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb

Only a TRUE ADVrider would trash their bike in under 600 miles.

Great ride. Sorry about the bike, Glad you are OK.
  3. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    shit, looks like a warrenty issue to me... take that badboy back for a new'un!

ps glad it was the bike and not your leg, Way to start it out in STYLE!:dj
  4. Steverino

Oddometer:
    This little misdventure!

First the formalities, welcome back Pep, How's them cotton fields? They ain't rotten are they??

Any way, as I was saying, I pulled the bike back out of the creek on the same side I had entered into it from. Surveyed the damage and then had to decide to continue or not. The body panel hurt the wallet, but the broken clutch lever did not look like fun! After a few squeezes I decided that it worked fine like that and decided to continue on. Back into the same creek that had just previoulsy smacked me. This time I started in more agresively and let uncle mo be my friend. It worked I made it out the other side and continued to the top of the trail. There it forks to three trails. Two I have been on, one I have not. What do I choose, of course the one I have never been on :doh

This is an ATV trail and I am cruising through the mountains having a good old time. Then I pass a tree that has a funny looking black X on a white plasitc panel. I wonder what that is for? I had been seeing the panels and recognized them as the way the Forest Service marks the trails. I had never seen the black X before. I soon found out what it meant. It is a sign indicating the difficulty of the trail. I am comitted now. I am going down steep loose shale drop offs banging the engine guard on the Dakar on the rocks when I drop off. No turning back unless I leave the bike. GO forward my son! I get to another section that appears to be heinous. Very steep, wet muddy rocks that look like steps except they are about 2 feet drops. I pick what I think is a good line. Unfortunately it is on the other side of the trail and I am stopped and have to get going traverse the trail and then dive into my line. A single line keeps popping into my head. I need some one here to say "hold my beer and watch this" to. Then it strikes me that I am deep in the woods by myslef about to go down what appears to be the steps to hell and damnation at the time. Once again, no choice but to continue like a true adventurer would.

My first attemp is lame, don't even get by the getting started part before the bike lays over against the uphill side of the trail, no harm. Pick it back up and go at it again. This time it works, I have to turn sharp left to traverse the trail and then sharp right to hit my only avenue through the "steps". Somehow I make it and continue down the trail. About 1/2 mile later I get out to Hwy 33 and pull over to survey the damage.

Other than the body panel, clutch lever and radiator shroud it seems ok.

I called this morning on the parts:

Dakar left sided body panel: $252.00

Radiator shroud: $6.00

Clutch lever: Who knows forgot to ask the cost.

Can't wait to do it again. Any of you real adventurers want to come down and join me, I'll go again in a heartbeat! :thumb
  5. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Does it come with crash bars???:rofl :rofl :evil
  6. Steverino

Oddometer:
    If I spend that much on a bike it will be the downpayment for the turbo kit for the K12RS

:evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :dood :beer :2beer
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Chicken Piss Yellow + Plaid? :confused
  8. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Canary piss yellow and pewter.

Actually considering going to white with the checkerboard. If I can find the right color white that I find attractive. Us female riders are all about looks.

(Sorry ladies, not meant to offend!)
  9. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Surely you understand that the tire justification was just a rationalization for a decision to do something that did not make sense.

I can still enjoy the collateral benefits of riding the 650 off-road and still have it get damn near 60MPG commuting. I am just doing my part tosave the world and reduce our dependence on Middle Eastern Oil fuckers.

By the way, put another new set of tires on the KRS THursday. Second set since March 22nd. $220.00. Also needed brakepads. And I had the rear tire already.

I think I am going to buy a Harley, then it won't be nearly as enjoyable to ride or expensive to maintain. You can still clean a broken down bike.
  10. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dunno K12, don't think my Titan would appreciate such a flogging... But now I know you'd be a good candidate for LowerTown Creek up here in MD.

I can't figure out why you shut the engine down in the creek:confused - I'da thought you'd want to keep it runnin...

Take care bro' de la moto....
  11. Steverino

Oddometer:
    I shut the engine down because it was laying on it's left side half underawater running and in gear. I could not get to the shift lever to get the bike in nuetral and the rear tire was spinning. I had to shut it off the get it upright again and get it out of the creek!

There are more tame rides and I would gladly show you and Hank where they are around here.

I am up for any type of adventure, rather it be in MD or VA. Let me know when you get off the leash again.

By the way, I wish I had a leash. I'm envious!
  12. davidhpark

davidhpark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve -

What tires did you have on, the stock or real off-road/dual sport tires like the TKC80 or the MT21?

The body panels for the red/white/blue Dakar colors are MUCH more than the stock colored ones. If the tabs that mount the panel to the headlight section are okay I wouldn't bother replacing the panel. Just superglue it. I've gone through SEVERAL panels and hate the mounting design as it's really weak for off-road punishment. The price that BMW wants is also CRAZY compared to plastic for Honda, Kawasaki, and KTM. If they market this bike as a dual sport pricing for the plastic should also be in the market for comparable bikes.

As far as the clutch lever, shame on you for not carrying a spare in your fanny pack. For that matter did you have spare tubes, repair kits, etc.? If you're going to go off-road you've got to be prepared. For that matter if you drill a hole in the end of the lever you wouldn't have broken the lever most likely.

Also, think - radiator guard. If you had punched the bike into rocks you could have poked the radiator. Get prepared and put one on, Touratech makes the best one for the GS/Dakar.

Lastly, think 15 tooth countersprocket. This makes getting the power of the bike down much better. Otherwise you find yourself like you did, winding the throttle to get power response when what you need is down low growl and snap to get this heavy bike up over obstacles and into the right dance.

Otherwise, whenever you'd like to go off-road drop me a line. Would love to ride with ya!

Jinx - sure the TT39 kit is cool but breaking a tank is expensive. Trust me as I've gone through several from Touratech and now am funding ALL of their kids college educations.

Regards,

David H. Park
  13. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Sorry doood, I can't help you!
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    What does "detail" mean, George? What about the rabbits? tell me about the rabbits, George....