Ox and Pig - TAT 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PackinDirt, Jul 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No bug juice this time.
    Day 3
    We finished the day in Oxford, Mississippi, with lots of pavement to get there. Had a bike scare when I had carb issues. Drained the float bowl and that seemed to clear it (thanks Junyah!). Still heading deeper into the South and enjoying the scenery. Putting up stickers where I can.

Attached Files:

norton73, Ridersma, mADVta and 3 others like this.
  2. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 4
    Today saw us dive into the deep South on the lowest point of the trip. Riding through the Mississippi River Delta was a treat. Obligatory stops at TAT shack and Oark Cafe. On advise from some local intel, we camped at Greer's Ferry dam. It was 15 degrees cooler at the dam.

Attached Files:

3. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    Into the Ozarks today with lots of loose gravel. Moving a little too fast and spilled in a switchback coming down Clark Mtn. road. Bit of a bruise on my right hip but the bike is fine. Might be running even better. Not sure what all the fuss is over Warloop Road
    Just like riding in Vermont. We found a great camping spot on the Illinois River at the All American Floats in Talequa, OK. Cheap and they have showers. A swim in the river felt great after a hot day of riding. KIMG0313.JPG KIMG0314.JPG
    norton73, Ridersma, mADVta and 9 others like this.
  4. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How's Babe the Blue Ox holding up? (Owner of a BLUE 2008 KLR, here)
  5. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 6
    Our plan was always to slab it across most of Oklahoma. We followed a bit of the Eastern section then hit the blacktop just north of Tulsa. As the day grew hotter, we began to ask ourselves who's stupid idea it was to ride through here in August. Riding in an oven and praying the bike would keep going. The plan to camp tonight went out the window as the temp was 109. Alva, OK, beckoned with air conditioned bliss, laundry, and a Mexican restaurant next door. Not much to see except Osage Hills. Pretty much trying to stay alive...

Forgot to mention that we ran into two TAT riders from Haverhill and Bath, NH, in Alva. Hung out at the Mexican place and swapped stories. We'll probably cross paths again.
  6. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Mighty KLR is running like a champ!

We'll, sort of. Unless we're going 60 or there's a stiff crosswind...
    Ridersma and AdamChandler like this.
  7. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 7
    Slabbing across the last half of Oklahoma today was blissfully uneventful. 55 mph and totally relaxed. A little rain in the morning kept the temps low. Our goal was the Great Plains Bunkhouse in Wheeless, OK. This has to be a TAT MUST STOP! The folks who run the place are warm and welcoming. All the services you need for you and the bike with A/C, beds, tools, water, and even an air compressor and a bike lift. We're bunking with Shane and Joe. Bring whatever you need from town as it's in the middle of nowhere. Scotty had a rear tire shipped directly here from Rocky Mountain.

Edit: Did I mention the fully stocked kitchen, hot showers with clean towels, super comfy beds, and wi-fi?

Attached Files:

Ridersma, td63, mADVta and 6 others like this.
  8. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm debating between Motoz Adventure or Mitas E07 for the TAT from the East Coast to the edge of Oklahoma, then switching to a D 606 rear MT21 front for Oklahoma, Colorado and Moab. Thoughts? What tires are you running?
  9. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    MT21 front and D606 rear for the whole trip on my XR. Something more street up to Telliride would be fine. Burned a lot of knob off in the twisties. D606 will last to Ouray. Maybe...

Attached Files:

Ridersma and Retired 18Z like this.
  10. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 8
    After an indulgent morning wake up at the Great Plains Bunkhouse, we rejoined the TAT track to finish Oklahoma, get into New Mexico, and enter Colorado. It was a beautiful transition from flat prarie to the rocky west. But, wait! Not so fast! The overnight rain left us with a nasty mess in NM. The adobe clay stuck to our tires and forced us into the cactus-strewn grazing land beside the road. Several miles later we were back on decent gravel. Shane and Joe got new tires in Trinidad while we waited out a torrential storm and tried to decide how to get to La Veda.
    While pulling out of the driveway of the dealership, my clutch cable broke. Not a bad place for this to happen. They, of course, didn't have the right one so we went through a box of spares they had on the shelf. One cable was just long enough and we were back on the road to La Veta. If that cable was a 1/4 inch shorter, it wouldn't have worked . Thank you, Topar Racing in Trinidad, CO!!! You guys are the best!!! KIMG0351.JPG KIMG0360.JPG KIMG0363.JPG

Attached Files:

norton73, Ridersma, td63 and 11 others like this.
  11. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @PackinDirt Your Ben Franklin quote... I work part-time as a brewer at a local craft brewery to earn farkle money for my 2008 KLR! lol
    PackinDirt likes this.
  12. NHPops

NHPops n00b

Oddometer:
    The Great Adventure continues! Good to hear about that 1/4 inch.
  13. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 9
    Leaving from La Veda, Scott and I rode deeper into the Colorado Rockies on very nice gravel roads. The weather was a little cool to start but warmed up nicely by the time we stopped for gas. Numerous opportunities for photo ops had us stopping frequently. I'm sure this condition will continue over the next few weeks.
    Crossed the Continental Divide at Marshall Pass so we're on our way to the Pacific! Met up with Joe & Shane again for cheap camping at Tomichi Creek Trading Post in Sargent's, CO. They have everything a weary traveler needs. Impending rain had us scrambling to set up camp then retreating to the bar for burgers and beer.
    KIMG0402.JPG KIMG0410.JPG KIMG0416.JPG

Attached Files:

Ridersma, mADVta, StoneWolf and 6 others like this.
  14. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So... @PackinDirt do your children and/or significant others know you are showing off your crocs to the entire world?
  15. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  16. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for keeping us updated! I predict some elevation in your future!
  17. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    KIMG0440.JPG LOL! I know I'm not the only one who hangs their Tevas out to dry. Adds to the image.

We left Sargents this morning with a chill in the air. Donning all our gear, we headed out to tackle the first real challenge of this trip: Engineer's Pass. Having rained overnight and this morning, the roads were quite slick on the approach. It's a good thing you tackle this monster from East to West. Going up had it's little challenges (like stalling in the middle of a switchback) but the decent into Ouray was nothing short of amazing. Negotiating rock ledges, sheer drop-offs, loose baby heads, and dodging Jeeps and side-by-sides all the way to the bottom. No time to look around as the trail required our full attention. The locals say it's a 4 out of 5 for difficulty. Did I mention the avalanche and flood damage?

Attached Files:

Ridersma, bomose, Fat Chance and 7 others like this.
  18. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you guys rejet the carbs for altitude?
  19. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    No rejetting. The KLR is stock and my XR is on the rich side. Both ran fine and had power to spare at 12,800 ft. Quite surprised, actually.
    Ridersma likes this.
  20. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 11

Our planned loop ride in the passes turned into a maintenance day when Scotty found that his throttle cable was frayed. Not having a spare meant a run up to Montrose for parts at Davis Service. They are a Honda/Kawi/Suzuki/Yamaha dealership and they had the cable. 70 miles round trip so we decided to do our oil change since mountain riding was out for today. Timber Ridge Service Station in Ouray let us change our oil under their shade tree and disposed of the oil as well. My kind of shop.

The weather is finally looking good for the next few days.

No pics today as Wi-fi is painfully slow...
    Ridersma and MrMac like this.