Ox and Pig - TAT 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PackinDirt, Jul 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ridersma

Ridersma n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rules to live by:))
    wilfred likes this.
  2. Ridersma

Ridersma n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the cow wisdom!
  3. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are lots of online places to get custom stickers. Can't remember off the top of of my head where I did mine but it was easy and cost around $50 for 100 stickers.
  4. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 19
    More Nevada desert today. Started out at around 50 degrees and quickly warmed to a typical, clear day. Saw our first rattle snake, coyote, and golden eagle. Probably some wild horses as well.

Reminded myself that tens of thousands of drivers cross the country every year on paved roads. Fewer than 200 do the full TAT because it's challenging. Anyone can do this the easy way.

However, I'm ready to be done with Nevada...

KIMG0767.JPG KIMG0779.JPG KIMG0772.JPG KIMG0769.JPG

Attached Files:

5. SuddenLee

SuddenLee n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah riding in clay does suck and takes a pressure washer to get off
  6. glhracing

glhracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, Congrats on your trip so far, and thanks for all the updates. I cannot wait to hear all about your adventure, hope we can catch up at a ride back home this fall. I have a new Bucket List Item, and it is up at the top.
  7. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Days 20/21
    Phew! Long couple of dry, dusty days sees us out of the Nevada desert, into a corner of California, and across our last state line into Oregon. Two and a half days remaining to get to Port Orford and the Pacific.

More desert to cross today. We made for the green line and slabbed a bit to get to our destination for the night. Green line turned out to be a great ride over an 8000 ft. pass with expansive views. Scotty got a flat halfway down the backside and as lead, I should have looked back but I was in the zone listening to tunes and didn't see he wasn't there. Gimme a break! Three days in the desert does things to you. 8 miles and 20 minutes later, I got back to him with tools just as the buzzards were starting to circle overhead. Ooooops....Sorry, man.

Fun fact: did you know that Nevada is the second most mountainous state besides Alaska?

We stayed at Fields Station that night. Great place with good people running it, FREE tenting on grass, and a store with beer. Get there before 6pm as they close early. Wicked wind blew all night with 40mph gusts that would have made our tents into kites if they weren't staked down tight.

4200 miles of mostly off-road riding is taking a toll on man and machine. The Pig lost turn signal function two days ago, lost a muffler mounting bolt, and broke a gas tank mounting bracket. Luckily, we were in Lake View, OR, in front of a Napa. As I was disassembling my bike, a guy stopped and suggested that we take the broken strut to a shop in town. 20 minutes later and at no charge, I had a repaired tank mounting bracket in my hand. Amazing folks everywhere!

The Ox is held together with electrical tape and KLR fasteners (zip ties). Sometimes the starter button doesn't work and there's a squeek from the front wheel (edit: turned out to be the speedo cable which ceased function a day later. "Hey! The squeak went away. And I don't know how fast I'm going. Guess we know what the squeak was.").

Just need a few hundred more miles then Ox and Pig can go to the barn for some much needed rest.

Today started cool and stayed cool all day. Like a late September day back home. We were riding close to the cloud deck and even got a little drizzle before the sun broke through. Easy riding today which made the discovery of the broken strut easier to deal with as it was 3:30pm and not a Sunday.

Tonight, we're at Juniper RV campground just outside Lake View. Nice place with cheap camping on grass, HOT showers, laundry, and a pavillion with plugs for electronics. A fun group of RVers who meet once a month at different campgrounds invited us to help ourselves to their remaining potluck meal. Oh, and they had beer, too. Not wanting to refuse the kindness of strangers, we joined them for road stories and laughter.

Someone asked me tonight what the best part of the trip has been. I said it was the people we've met that have been the most memorable.

Attached Files:

juno, wilfred, Ridersma and 12 others like this.
  8. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your report. Cold front hitting the east coast. Nighttime temps finally down in the lower 50s upper 40s...
  9. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool guys. So it looks like you took the older “classic” TAT route? Many like the Nevada sections, more challenging and more sand and dust!

The new route thru Idaho is easier and better for big bikes.

Almost there!!

Dan
    Ridersma likes this.
  10. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the desert was a little monotonous but it's part of the ride. Charming in its own way. Still glad it's behind us.

My opinion is that Sam added extra miles in Idaho to differentiate himself from Kevin's route. Just my two cents...

Day 22
    We had another picture perfect day of riding through national forest land on well-maintained roads. Staying with our "no hero stuff" rule #2, we did the green section of today's route. Just trying to nurse our tired steeds through the last couple days.

The weather is looking great for the remainder of our trip.

Attached Files:

11. Ridersma

Ridersma n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in the trees!
  12. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Day 23
    A day similar to yesterday: chilly start warming up to a clear and warm afternoon. We stayed mostly on green routes today to make good time and go easy on the equipment. Decided at the last minute to go back to the regular track and encountered some of the most challenging terrain yet. Wasn't very long, just narrow, steep, and rocky. Great views of the surrounding, wooded mountains. Not being terribly tall, the trees go to the top of each peak. Furry, kind of.

We passed through some fire-damaged forest as well. I recalled reading ride reports from past years when riders had to detour around these areas. Strange to be here and see it up close.

Several more TAT stops tagged with Ox and Pig stickers. Stop at these establishments, share your story, and support those who support our crazy ride. Every time we stop, it's another chance to reach out to locals and fellow travelers alike. Always be ambassadors for our sport.

One more day and we're there!!!
    KIMG0806.JPG KIMG0805.JPG KIMG0825.JPG KIMG0824.JPG KIMG0813.JPG KIMG0820.JPG KIMG0823.JPG KIMG0819.JPG

Attached Files:

13. packedandreadytogo

packedandreadytogo lifetime Girl Scout

Oddometer:
    Question –I have waited until the last day of the trip to ask but here goes….

Does anyone have advice on how to best support and acclimate riders who have been on the road on a long journey who are coming back to jobs and homes without overwhelming them?

When you all have come back from a long ride what were you hoping for from your boss (yes, we work together so I can help with this one) and the household?

Thank you for your help!
    Ridersma, AdamChandler and wilfred like this.
  14. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Ummm, lots of beer, bike maintenance, and my side of the bed back.
  15. packedandreadytogo

Oddometer:
    Beer & lots off it maybe laundry?

Not sure if you want me working on the bike though..........though the other 2 bikes you left behind seem to like me better now so we might have to work something out.
    Ridersma likes this.
  16. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    KIMG0843.JPG KIMG0846.JPG KIMG0847.JPG KIMG0827.JPG KIMG0826.JPG KIMG0830.JPG KIMG0832.JPG KIMG0835.JPG KIMG0838.JPG KIMG0843.JPG KIMG0846.JPG KIMG0847.JPG KIMG0850.JPG KIMG0851.JPG KIMG0852.JPG KIMG0827.JPG KIMG0826.JPG KIMG0830.JPG KIMG0832.JPG KIMG0835.JPG KIMG0838.JPG Day 24

Well, that's it. We made it to Port Orford early this afternoon. Not without a few go-arounds due to closed and gated roads. Even without active fires, the forest service still restricts travel because of high fire risk. This added to our mileage but put us on a couple great paved, mountain roads that were a blast. Tagged a few more locations with stickers.

Officer Pete of the State Parks suggested that we NOT ride our bikes down to the beach...

And the Mule has arrived!!! Simon is here! The gang's all here! Great folks at the Sea Crest motel (top of the hill just south of town) had plenty of room for us. Scotty made a new friend (sitting on Ox).

Tomorrow we head up the coast for Portland. Should be a nice day for a ride.

KIMG0827.JPG KIMG0826.JPG
  17. packedandreadytogo

Oddometer:
    Wonderful to see you!! You both look very happy and glad you were following the new rules of the beach :)
  18. Xcntry

Xcntry Ride More!!!

Oddometer:
    Great report I can’t wait to check this ride off my list!
  19. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Not sure why it double posted some of the pics...
  20. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    YEAH BUDDY!!!!