Oxford saddlebag reviews?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Spino, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Spino

Spino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m looking for a luggage option for my R75/6. Don’t want to spend a ton of money. I like the look of waxed cotton rather than plastic or leather. It would be nice to avoid having to install a luggage rack. So I landed on this option, and I’m curious if anyone has experience to share: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...B5h_myCXW0EgqsoJAaAt1wEALw_wcB&sku_id=1647307

I realize this might not be up to the high standards of a lot of airhead riders, but I’m not a serious tourer. I also won’t ride in the rain. So an expensive heavy-duty luggage set just seems like overkill. Maybe someday...
  2. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, it's your bike do what you like...

I think those wax cotton bags would look good and age-appropriate on a /5 or /6.

"High standards"? are you kidding? The cheapest thing on any airhead is the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat!
    Spino likes this.
  3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty good to me. What is the mounting plan if you don’t want a rack?
  4. Spino

Spino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I’m mistaken but based on the description and the Q&A, it didn’t sound like it would need a rack. Just straps under and over the seat. Am I wrong?
  5. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I’ve never been a fan of the “toss over” style bags like that without racks, but I’m pretty obsessive about keeping straps tidy and away from moving parts.

As for those bags specifically, seems like a junky bag for the price. Just my opinion.
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These look like a traditional “throw-over” saddlebag so no rack is required. It looks like these have attachment straps in the lower front corners. These could be used with a rack or used on the subframe of the bike.
  7. korinthias

korinthias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alternatively, there’s nearly always a few sets of the original Krausers on eBay, for less money than you’re going to pay for a pair of those...

Immensely practical - original equipment, rigid (no flapping around) and will usefully store a full-face helmet. The keys have usually been lost in the mists of time, but replacements locks are available.

Also an extra two shiny BMW roundels on the bike... what’s not to like?
  8. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that's how they mount, but what I'm curious about is how they keep the shock from rubbing a hole in the back of the bag?
  9. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless you isolate the bag from pressure points, you will wear specific areas. Many of the heavier duty soft bags come with either a slip sheet isolator or some stiffener to protect the bike side of the bag.

But if these are more for show than go, short trips and not true touring, you may not have much to worry about.
    Spino likes this.
  10. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I guess that was my point - I have soft luggage on my KTM 690 and it lays across the seat without a rack. But it needs to be locked down with straps on the bottom as well as the back so it can't move, because any movement will be a wear point in short order.

So it seems to me if those bags touch the shocks as you ride, the motion of the shock will wear a hole.
    Spino likes this.
  11. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not just the shock movement, but also the movement of the bag and contents against the shock. The shock and whatever else the bag is rubbing against will get wear too.
    Spino likes this.
  12. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Sorry, not a fan of those bags. Even when I was a lot poorer, the bags I got from the military surplus store looked nicer than those. Looks like someone is trying to look steampunk. If you do get some throw-over bags, you will still need a frame to stop the bags from contacting the wheel. Even if they look like they won't touch any moving parts,... they will.
    Spino and Jim K in PA like this.
  13. Spino

Spino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I researched that option, but unfortunately I’ve been finding those hard cases are actually pretty pricey, especially when you factor in shipping. Plus, I don’t have any luggage racks, so that compounds the cost — about $150 for most panniers and another $100+ for the racks.
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    wherever the bags contact, some plastic rub strip could be attached to the bag, by whatever method you choose. KIS.
    bags first, solution, as required. ride on.
    the krausers may have some aging problems of their own but nice.
    PaulBarton and Spino like this.
  15. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    check your pm
  16. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Usually a number of soft bag options in the flea market here. Have a look there, first.

Not concerned about paint on the tank? You could always look at tank panniers, as well.