Oxley speed limit update + info on the save Oxley ride

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Russ, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    easy fix... over 3/4 of all the prangs on the oxley are locals... over 3/4 of prangs are single vehicle... over 1/2 the motocycle prangs are locals... clearly the locals suck at riding/driving the oxley so BAN THEM :ban

:D

the speed limits on the oxley are already a fuckup...41 FFS

1/3 of all accidents occured below 60kph, 1/3 of those were rear enders.

Capture.PNG
  2. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what you're saying is that the speed limit should be set at the safest speed for the slowest vehicle eg a b double can only safely travel at 60km on a winding road so everyone else should be restricted to 60 although a bike can easily and safely go twice that speed.
  3. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speed limits have been lowered, the bends at long flat have been lowered from 100 to 80,through the town has been lowered from 60 to 50,the thin end of the wedge
  4. Fattytwocakes

Fattytwocakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that is what he is saying at all to be honest.
  5. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    I had a quick look - but if it has been covered elsewhere - would a mod please merge.
    -------------
    If you haven't heard there is a move afoot to drastically reduce the speed limits on one of the best rides in NSW - and there is also a campaign to fight it:
    ---------------
    Hi all, this is to let you know that we are running, under the banner of the Motorcycle Council of NSW our ‘Save the Oxley Ride’. I would appreciate it if you could promote it via e-mail and Facebook. Please spread the word.

These are the details:

The Save the Oxley Ride is on Sat 5th November. Destination Gingers Creek Roadhouse. Put it in your calendar please. Get the bike out of the shed and come along.

There will be 2 meeting points.

1. At Andrew’s Park on Cameron Street in Wauchope. Assembling at 9am in the carpark for a 10am departure.

2. Beside the Walcha Oval in Pakington St Walcha, behind the Royal Café. Assembling at 9am for a 10am departure.

Both groups should arrive at Gingers Creek Roadhouse at approximately 11:30 am.

For more information and some updates please visit:

http://motorbikewriter.com/rally-fight-reduced-speed-limits/

If you haven't signed the petition please visit:

https://www.change.org/p/oxley-highway-wauchope-to-walcha-n…

Thanking you all in advance.
    Cheers
    Ken
  6. PnD

PnD Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's yer civic duty.

It'd be great to see all contributors to this thread attend and demonstrate their personal philosophies on speed limits and road sharing.
    PnD likes this.
  8. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    No, I said from a road safety point of view differential speed limits are a problem.
  9. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    Sadly its the thrill seekers who have ruined it for the rest. I have spent a lot of time on this road not only riding but residing next to it. I see some REALLY stupid sports bike riders using it as a race track and even had one come up on the inside of me while I was taking a corner. I am no angel either and have done some dangerous riding when I was younger so I know the thrill of it all but times have changed.Education is needed. It will just be a painful ride if the limits are changed and I doubt anyone will obey them. Cars and trucks will cause more frustration and dangerous passing will be the norm.
    Wodger63, numbat and Cruz like this.
  10. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    70kph is a bit harsh but it's a wonder it wasn't reduced to 80 on the bendy section below Gingers Creek years ago.
    Policing most of that section would be difficult as safe options for pulling people up or U turning are sparse.
    Personally I avoid the Oxley unless I have to travel it for work or if it is raining and the dirt options are messy.
    There are five easy options to get onto or over the ranges which all have a bit of dirt (this is advrider.com afterall) and most have far better scenery. Barrington Tops, Taree or Wingham to Nowendock, Elands which brings you out near Stockyard creek, Werrikimbee from Beechwood to the top of the mountain and Kempsey Armidale road to Wollomombi.
    PnD and Colonial Mick like this.
  11. mudcrab

mudcrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would it be possible to get some more details on these 2 options I cannot work them out from the maps" Elands which brings you out near Stockyard creek, Werrikimbee from Beechwood to the top of the mountain" thanks
    PnD likes this.
  12. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    Elands is west of Comboyne near Elenborough Falls (not Elenborough village) from there past the falls it links up with Knodingbull? road (also known as Doyles river road) this road runs from near stockyard creek which is just below Gingers creek on the Oxley Hwy through to near Mount George on the road up to Nowendock. (Note: the main forestry roads are usually in better condition than the council roads in the area).
    The other way is from Beechwood (near Wauchope) to Belangry then up the hastings forest way into Werrikimbee National park then racecourse trail and finish up on Fenwicks road which comes out above the bends on the Oxley.
    PnD likes this.
  13. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    Bump
  14. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    No.
    Doyles River Road is east of Knodingbul Road... see OSM
    Doyles River Road http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/425872388#map=12/-31.5458/152.2115
    Knodingbul Road http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/311741655#map=12/-31.4884/152.1548

Note - these names come from the NSW dep of Land and Property Information .. so should be 'official' rather than pub talk.
  15. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wrong Doyles river road has been changed to Knodingbul road
  16. Hollalegs

Hollalegs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So getting back on track, anyone going to the Oxley hwy rally?
  17. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Be careful getting there, 'operation silvertone ' is running for the next 4 mths in the hunter/lake macquarie areas.

its focus is your safety on a motorcycle...and fines and demerit points.

Don't forget to look up.

FB_IMG_1478162256760.jpg
  18. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw the news just now, I am expecting our finest to line the roads and specifically this one this weekend.
    Cruise control and sound track from 'Driving Miss Daisy' will be engaged.
  19. mattpc

mattpc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a camera car in long flat at 0630 this morning. Locals are expecting 1000 bikes at gingers creek. If that many turn up it will block the road at least while they all pile into the field behind the cafe. Be patient. Go slow. 'They' will be looking for an excuse to show us as hooligans and idiots that need to be restrained.
    bikeroz likes this.
  20. mattpc

mattpc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2016-11-03 16.40.10.jpg 2016-11-03 16.38.53.jpg